• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab cancels

Litt

Samus
Hey fellow Sami, just wondering if anyone knew the actual frame data for the jab cancels, i know the jab hits on 3-4, and it says the move is 17 frames long with the swing starting at 12, do I cancel the jab at frame 12 with the the opposite angle doward on the control pad, or do I have to wait for frame 17?

Litt

Samus
also there really is no good guide to jab canceling so I thought it would be a good idea to clarify with this post :)

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
pretty sure you have to hit A after the swing timing but before the jab recovers
Just hold down-back on the stick and just practice getting the feel for when you're supposed to hit A
whenever you jab you should make it a habit to buffer it with down-back anyways

Litt

Samus
Ya I already do that and am proficient in it, I just wanted the frame data to maximize its potential as well as leave it here for smashers unfamilar with the concept

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
Oh alright
So I guess its like
jab startup--(timing for swing)------------(timing for swing ends)-----(jab animation ends)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
you press A again at the vertical line below the timeline

btw offtopic but is anyone having problems using quick reply? I press "post reply" and nothing happens, and the post doesnt go through

Deft

Smash Cadet
Can someone explain to me what jab cancelling is and what it accomplishes? Haven't heard of this technique before.

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
How to do it:
1. Press A
2. Hold your left stick down, and the opposite of your current facing (eg. Samus is facing right, so hold down-left) Note: the vertex in the hexagon of the left stick is the sweetspot for this ad. technique
3. Not too fast but not too slow either, press A again with the stick held in the place in step 2.

this lets you use the jab move repeatedly and faster then you would if you jabbed normally. We also don't have to worry about the arm cannon swing, which is usually not what we want when we want to jab.
As for in-game uses? Someone can fill you in better than me.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
You can also jab cancel by pressing down in between your jabs to avoid using our slower second jab (swing). The way ManoxMano mentioned is still better, I think, even though I haven't mastered it.
The jab is Samus' fastest move except for upB. It can set up for other moves such as Dtilt and Ftilt, so your opponent will want to avoid the jab by either backing (wavedash back or roll), shielding or jumping. If they shield, we can continue jabbing and pressure their shield (or mix in a grab). If they back, we can wavedash after them and keep pressuring. If they jump, they will get hit by another jab or tilt.

HugS is a great user of the jab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXRCZu6BDdc

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
18 frames counting the input frame.
Input first jab: 1
Animation frames: 2-18 (angle the stick during these frames and hold)
Input second jab: 19
Animation frames: 20-36
Input third jab: 37
etc.

You can start out crouching to make it easier but it can be done if you do a regular standing jab and then angle the stick
during it's animation.

Deft

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tips guys! I think I understand. You have to return the stick to neutral between each jab otherwise you obviously get a downtilt. I'll have to get used to this.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
If you're doing what Manoxmano and blu2grut posted, you can just hold the diagonal angle and press A. No need to move the stick. I think this is better and easier to time right.

Litt

Samus
Its actually not easier to learn it Jerk, when you actually push back and down it is easier to see you semi crouch before doing the next jab

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I was just talking about the timing. It's easier to press A in a certain rhythm than pressing A, down, A in a certain rhythm :)

My secondary controller is poorly calibrated. When I'm holding the diagonal to the right, there's no problem, but to the right, it always dFtilt. Anyone knows if there's anything I can do about this?

Litt

Samus
Jerk... get a new controller, or dont hold it like the rest of the sami out there, just move your control stick to that position instead, and glad this thread was helpful Deft

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I bought that new controller cause the stick on my main controller is worn out. The new (white) controller was not calibrated right.
Maybe I can swap the sticks though.

Litt

Samus
no you would need to weld it on, not just simply swapping out stick dude, and I think you may be a little to quick to judge and just say it was not calibrated correctly... maybe you are doing something wrong?

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why you are underestimating me. Of course I'm not doing something wrong. It works with my main stick. Also, it works when I'm holding diagonally down to one side, but not the other. Other smashers has confirmed it too.
And I totally understand that I may have to weld, but that shouldn't be any problems as there's many controller modifiers in my region.

Litt

Samus
I mean, I was just simply saying you could have gotten too used to your old main stick and when you got the new one it was tighter than you realized and were unable to properly transition.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I'm in the corner. The real tell is that one side is working, but the other is not.

Litt

Samus
thennnn you may be sol dude... sorry :/, best thing I can recommend is to first replace the shell on the controller to see if it the the actual plastic that was misshaped and that actually may solve the problem, if not then the next best thing is to weld a new control stick on.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'll do that eventually. My main controller has maybe a few more months of life time. The rubber on the stick is almost gone after many long sessions of tech practice with blood and blisters (true story).

SAUS

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'll do that eventually. My main controller has maybe a few more months of life time. The rubber on the stick is almost gone after many long sessions of tech practice with blood and blisters (true story).
Wow that is intense. I remember my thumb used to be really sore after playing a lot when I first started playing competitively, but now my thumb just beasts through it. I've definitely never bled playing melee before though lol

Litt

Samus
Its most likely that the grip on the joystick was worn off, so hit thumb was hitting the raw hard plastic and that was what was causing the blisters and bleeding

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Nah, the rubber is still on, but it will likely not stay on for much longer...

Top Bottom