• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab Cancel ( Viable Characters )

L0RDJAMES

Smash Rookie
NNID
xL0RDJAMESx
Credit to RED for posting a video on this technique, xShix, and DeathlyFerret for testing.
This thread will not contain info on air attacks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-YOoQSU4dA&feature=youtu.be
After viewing RED's video there was no explanation on how to perform the jab KO punch, I decided to hit the lab to break down the video.
( I would recommend disabling A and B smash attack before performing the Jab Cancel as it disrupts the cancel. )
We will start with Little Mac.
( 1st ) Shield roll to the ledge.
( 2nd ) Start the jab if the opponent is close to Little Mac.
( 3rd ) Now hold A and mash either up special, neutral special, or side special accordingly.
( Neutral special while the KO Meter is available and up special are confirmed hits. )
Neat right? This will certainly help Little Mac's troubles at the ledge!
What occurs is Little Mac starts to slide whilst holding jab, doing so off the ledge will put him in a free fall position he can act out of, therefore in the first frame of this he can cancel into other moves.
After expanding on this technique, what if i told you that other characters can also jab cancel?
following the same steps as above, Captain Falcon, Kirby, MetaKnight, Mewtwo, Mr.Game&Watch, Palutena, and Pikachu are able to perform this!
( No other character can successfully perform this technique for an immediate follow up. )
Captain Falcon can use up special.
Kirby can follow with up special.
MetaKnight can interestingly follow up with all of his specials, although up special is a confirmed hit.
Mewtwo side special is a confirmed hit. ( possible Fair follow up or neutral special. )
Mr.Game&Watch can confirm contact with up special and if close enough side special.
Palutena can confirm contact with side special.
Pikachu's is rather unique as he can use his up special to confirm the hit and also have 2 choices, either follow up with attacks or ledge hang, even teleport cancels are possible.
Here's to enriching the competitive side to Super Smash Bros!

Signed, xL0RDJAMESx

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Oh, yeah? >: |

Nobody is going to give you credit for making a list of things that take all of 30 seconds to check for each. Also, as my old video shows, a lot of characters can use aerials out of a Rapid Jab, too, and options can get significantly different on a moving platform like Smashville's, so your list is missing a whole lot.

Last edited:

L0RDJAMES

Smash Rookie
NNID
xL0RDJAMESx
Warning Received
@ RonNewcomb RonNewcomb :) just offering some more options to the competitive scene, I appreciate your time commenting on my thread.

@ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder i see where you coming from with escapes such as pacmansl's Nair, which is why I've written confirmed hit on certain characters.
I've put this thread up so it may be easier to find a
" how to " on this technique.
I'm going in with this thread knowing I won't please everyone.
As for credit, I've put that there in case any youtuber
Wishes to go into more detail, maybe such as yourself.
As I'm new to smashboards my interests are to help the community, though its a shame to see discouragement so early on for a mod.
:(

Last edited by a moderator:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You don't have to tag everyone you address in a previous post; everyone who posts in this thread gets an alert when someone posts.

The first bit of my first post here is a link to a video of mine from December detailing this same thing, heh.

I'm a little skeptical on how much you're concerned about helping the community when you're demanding credit on information for a well-known technique.

Last edited:

L0RDJAMES

Smash Rookie
NNID
xL0RDJAMESx
Admittedly it's difficult to find a reliable place for techniques such as this with a good description, to be honest people will be people and post things as their discovery, however that's not my goal.
The credit was just in case youtubers such as ewnetwork etc got involved and needed a credit.
No harm no foul, though I get your skeptism.
I myself am still looking for a few techniques but cannot find the answers for them.

L0RDJAMES

Smash Rookie
NNID
xL0RDJAMESx
Thanks as well for informing me on alerts and posts.
It'll be much easier to post.
:)

Oh, thanks again, that'll be nice to review, ssb4 mechanics are very different compared to the other smashes, would you say its due to capcom?
I've never had trouble playing the others.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Your explanation is very vague and confuses me....is there an easier way to explain this? I don't understand why LM has to shield roll to the edge before performing. Do step by step please. Super lost

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
He's rolling through the CPU to be right next to the ledge of the stage.
When you do a multi-jab attack with any character that has one, if you continue to do the jab, it will push both your character and the opponent away, he's abusing the ledge by pushing himself off stage. This gives him automatic control to do what the Mac wants while the opponent is still in a short bit of hitstun.

@ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder Also posted this video if you need a better explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqhR1ogjQEE&ab_channel=TheReflexWonderful

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
He's rolling through the CPU to be right next to the ledge of the stage.
When you do a multi-jab attack with any character that has one, if you continue to do the jab, it will push both your character and the opponent away, he's abusing the ledge by pushing himself off stage. This gives him automatic control to do what the Mac wants while the opponent is still in a short bit of hitstun. In this case he cancels the jab attack and automatically pulled out a forward special.
Thank you. Answered my question before I read this but nice synopsis.

L0RDJAMES

Smash Rookie
NNID
xL0RDJAMESx
@ HoodedAltair HoodedAltair I apoligize for the lack of direction, I shall re edit this post so there isn't any confusion.
@ NotAnAdmin NotAnAdmin Thank you for helping describe the action better than I.
To be honest I didn't expect this post to be so active.

Top Bottom