• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur's Razor Leaf - How to Control

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I've been tinkering around with this for... quite some time. It seems to me as though the timing for input on Ivysaur's razor leaf is a tight window, and that there are two moments at which you must do so. These would be the initial trajectory, then the follow through. I haven't really been able to figure out which is when, though I slowed down time in training mode and found that the Leaf seems to respond to a direction at the point Ivysaur flashes.

I'm sorry is this sounds incoherent or something, I'm kind of tired. If someone could please continue this research, that'd be great...

Try:

Watching the trainer
Watching whole animation of the move

Boolossus

Smash Ace
I'll try to fool around with this move when I get the chance... but I'm pretty sleepy too, so may have forgotten by morning. =P

pieisamazing

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure that's entirely true, Polostick. I guess I could just be doing it wrong, but just to be sure, I went to T. Link and Link and tried throwing their boomerangs at different angles with little problem. Then I went back to Ivysaur, and I don't believe the same principle applies. I guess that could have been some freak coincidence, but... I don't know. I'll probably play around with it until someone responds to this.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that Razor Leaf just sort of homes in on its own. I've never managed to control the curve...it just tries to curve towards the target the best that it can.

timbu

Smash Apprentice
Wyvern seems closest to my experience.

If you do it like a boomerang and believe it works that way, I would have to say you're just in denial.

It's better to shoot it and DI ivysaur either in for the follow through or back for safety, don't bother trying to DI the razor leaf up and end up being punished for it.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that Razor Leaf just sort of homes in on its own. I've never managed to control the curve...it just tries to curve towards the target the best that it can.
Wyvern seems closest to my experience.

If you do it like a boomerang and believe it works that way, I would have to say you're just in denial.

It's better to shoot it and DI ivysaur either in for the follow through or back for safety, don't bother trying to DI the razor leaf up and end up being punished for it.
Yeah I also believe it homes in on its own yet sometimes it moves away from my opponent? :confused:

But whatever I just came to the conclusion that you can't control it so whatever.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
I believe it to be random, although I've heard the homing theory.

So I tested it on Battlefield, me on the left side and the opponent on the right side platform. Of the 20 shots I fired, 12 curved upwards, 3 curved slightly downwards, and 5 went straight, and slightly further than the others.

That would seem to rule out the homing theory, unless it too were random. It's weird, because I noticed for the first time some other variations, aside from the angle in which it curves:

- Some have a higher spin rate than others, as in, the leaf spins faster sometimes, and other times it barely spins at all. There seem to be 3 or 4 different spin speeds, and they combine with the angles to form the variations.

- The straight ones go further and look faster, though the latter may just be an illusion.

- Some do 6%, while others do 8%! This is what really got me interested, and convinced me that we need to investigate dis ****. I'm pretty sure the spin rate is what determines this, but I'm not entirely sure, so let's get to work on this.

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
I believe it to be random, although I've heard the homing theory.

So I tested it on Battlefield, me on the left side and the opponent on the right side platform. Of the 20 shots I fired, 12 curved upwards, 3 curved slightly downwards, and 5 went straight, and slightly further than the others.

That would seem to rule out the homing theory, unless it too were random. It's weird, because I noticed for the first time some other variations, aside from the angle in which it curves:

- Some have a higher spin rate than others, as in, the leaf spins faster sometimes, and other times it barely spins at all. There seem to be 3 or 4 different spin speeds, and they combine with the angles to form the variations.

- The straight ones go further and look faster, though the latter may just be an illusion.

- Some do 6%, while others do 8%! This is what really got me interested, and convinced me that we need to investigate dis ****. I'm pretty sure the spin rate is what determines this, but I'm not entirely sure, so let's get to work on this.
yea pope ur right, there are different spinning rates
i would suggest using b-stick to do razor leaf to rule out any inconsistancies like if u accidentally drag the control stick up or anything

just a light suggestion
n nice research

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
I've tried playing around with razor leaf myself and in terms of the spin theory...i discovered that you can, to a degree, control how quickly the leaf spins but literally spinning the joystick rapidly right after you shoot a leaf...this doesn't really affect it's angle though...and isn't really practical at all for that matter...

The Oddity

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2681-0785-8316
Has anyone factored in the fatigue of the pokemon? This might effect razor leaf in some way.

Spooky.

Smash Rookie
I've never noticed fatigue affecting the speed, homing, or direction of Razor-leaf. Fatigue will affect the amount of damage it does, but not the animation. The only thing I've noticed fatigue do is lower the percentages of damaging attacks, I've never noticed it changing any move animations other than idle.

Jinty

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure about this but I think if you smash the direction then it goes further than if you just do the razor leaf while already holding left/right.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
are you guys serious? its like a mix between the boomerag, and samuses missles. if you do a smash side B it goes faster than barely doing it. I can make razor leaf turn every time. i didnt understand people were having trouble with it. its exactly like the boomerang in that respect except it doesn't turn as much.

tips: use the analog control stick and the B button.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
are you guys serious? its like a mix between the boomerag, and samuses missles. if you do a smash side B it goes faster than barely doing it. I can make razor leaf turn every time. i didnt understand people were having trouble with it. its exactly like the boomerang in that respect except it doesn't turn as much.

tips: use the analog control stick and the B button.
It's not like that at all. Do about 10 as if you were doing Samus' power missiles, and you'll see that it is random. At least it is in my version of the game, and I doubt you have a super secret patched version. Some turn upwards, some go straight, some turn downwards, some spin fast, some spin slowly. I have not noticed any difference between smashing the stick and tilting it, which leads me to believe you have barely analyzed this and only believe it's like Link's boomerang because that was your preconceived notion of it

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Alright guys, Im pretty sure I have this figured out.

On the random angles thing, yes, the angle that it goes out at IS random. It will tilt up, down or go straight. It also goes at all sorts of angles within these parameters. Sometimes it tilts up and down while still maintaining a relatively straight line (zig-zag). Distance from an opponent affects this angle. The longer the leaf stays out, the more likely it is to curve. Also, when Ivysaur is fatigued, the chances of it going straight dramatically decline. It will often curve or be zigzaggy.

The spinning thing is simple; the leaf changes it direction once every rotation. Thus, it can dip, rise or stay straight, on every rotation. Slower rotations result in larger movements, while faster ones keep a more regular trajectory.

In terms of controlling it, Razor Leaf can be DI'd, but not DI'd in the regular sense. You have to click the direction you want it to go, every time it does a rotation. You can not HOLD the direction, as it will only take the command on ONE rotation. You have to time multiple tilts. I can't tell if smashing or tilting has any affect on the how far the trajectory is changed. However, the normal speed rule applies, slower spins will be affected by your inputs far more than faster ones. Smashing the direction its going will not keep it going straight, it seems to make it tilt up instead.

Thats all I could figure out.

Top Bottom