• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur's main flaw (IMO)

zestypizza

Smash Cadet
every time I play my brother he hits me off of the edge, and then edgehogs my recovery...

is there any way around this?

rysaN

Smash Cadet
the only way that i know of is to razor leaf him on the way down, and upb the edge as soon as he leaves it.

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
another way to prevent this is NOT TO GET KNOCKED OFF
lol not much else to say

another way to solve this is to kill ur opponent first then switch :p

but yeah ivy's range should be able to give u spacing, and u should be able to %build n kill quick b4 u get knocked off stage..

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Your fair also works well if you're in range. I'd also suggest to save your second jump whenever possible.

Sasuke_1259

Smash Rookie
Saving second jump is the most important, and the easiest to forget. If you save it, the razor leaf will give you more time to recover and you may not even need the UpB.

I haven't tried the F-air, but it sounds like it would work well.

freddybones

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur is really my favorite out of the three, but yeah, his recovery has to be the worst in the game.
Normally my only real defence for it is to switch to Charizard after I get to about 100-120%. He's heavier and can glide.
The only hard part is finding an opening to switch without them completely ****** me for it when my other guy comes out.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
Do remember that Ivysaur's Up+B can also grab the edge when you're above the level. You're not limited to grabbing it from below. It's a very small angle, but if you're within range and your opponent is rushing to edgeguard you, you can snap to the edge before they get there.

DoubleAced

Smash Apprentice
the only way that i know of is to razor leaf him on the way down, and upb the edge as soon as he leaves it.
Exactly how it's done. Also, if you're too low to hit him with the leaf, you can still sweet spot him with the Vine Whip and bring him down with you.

Kiederen

Smash Cadet
DO A BARRELROLL
but for real ^^^^^^ refer to my post n others above
Nair meets that requirement :laugh:

In all seriousness though, all of the important stuff has been said, so I would only add this: remember that uair sends you down farther/faster and dair can stall you slightly for a moment. If I get knocked high up, I like to use Uairs to get back to the stage faster.

So to answer big_freddy's question: no, but uair does.

Medic

Smash Cadet
Actually, what might help out is doing a down air to slow yourself down, some air movement, and saving your jumps for when you're near. Actually, thinking about this gives me ideas.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
This is rarely a problem for me. Most of the time, the only reason I ever use Ivysaur is to get a quick bullet seed in before I change to Charizard. XD

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
DI upwards i guess... just dont do it past 100%. then follow what they said.

TheLake

Smash Master
Actually, what might help out is doing a down air to slow yourself down, some air movement, and saving your jumps for when you're near. Actually, thinking about this gives me ideas.
I was just thinking about this today too! Anyways I love recovering with ivysaur even though its definatly his biggest weakness. If all else fails wait for your opponet to grab the ledge and go for the up B anyways. If you aim with the sweetspot you can stage spike to the extreme. I was doing this a toooon today....so rewarding!

Medic

Smash Cadet
Yeah, there's just enough lag from a hit off of poisonpowder to do a ledgegrab or buy time for a up-b. Doing a stagespike on Final Destination is very rewarding.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
I don't even own this game, just speculating:
- Would it be worth switching to Charizard at around 90% if you were somehow inevitably going to get hit hard?

Medic

Smash Cadet
Only if you have a few seconds you know you aren't going to be hit, like right when you kill an opponent in 1v1 and they're about to respawn. Or a shield break. Otherwise, you're handing a free smash to your opponent, maybe even a stock.
Very rarely can other switches be pulled off except in emergencies.

Earthstrike

Smash Rookie
Something I was fooling around with today and I wonder if it could be helpful in anyway. If your opponent is trying to recover falling down along the side of the stage doing a bullet seed can get some damage in and you can recover with up + B. Idono, it seems unintuitive that bullet seed could be used in such a manner but perhaps it can have some edgeguarding purpose.

Icephoenix231

Smash Cadet
Pokemon Trainer is my main..and I'd have to say I play a pretty sick one :) Still gettin back in my swing though :)

Edgehogging isnt a big problem with me...saving your second jump is a HUGE help...and of course razor leaf helps as well. But what I've had more success with is the Kamakazie approach.

If you've been knocked far back enough to be edgehogged, you are probably close to dying with Ivysaur anyway... When I'm getting edgehogged, You can save your second jump, and time your opponents invincibility frames...the second they are off, Vine whip.

The Vine whip will attack instead of tethering, and spike the opponent straight down, killing you and him in the process. Most times, it will kill your enemy first :)

It takes a lot of practice, and a decent amount of mind game...but you have to time it very well, and use vine whip as an attack, not a recovery at this point.

And bullet seed is a bad, bad idea..the lag before and after will make recovering impossible..I've tried it far too many times :/

Try the Ivyside technique..it works pretty well, and will either spike kill your enemy, or get them stuck underneath the stage. Also learn to time your sweetspot on this to gaurentee a spike kill.

fopho

Smash Rookie
its hard becuz ivy isn't that mobile in the air like squirtle : /, and does have the jumps like charizard, however if the person that is edgeguarding u is at high percent u can kamakaze and sweetspot the vine whip to get a critical hit! then he/she would think twice about it : D

Job

Smash Cadet
Probably the most common reason I lose my matches is Ivysaur's tether recovery. All of my friends know that the only thing they need to do is get me off and gimp me. Using the dsmash early would stop you momentarily and if the opponent is on the ledge, the invincibility frames would be gone. Razor leaf could work, or somehow get close to footstool jump them. OR, risk it all and pray to God they can't tech and try getting them with your up+b's tip to take him with you.

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
One of things I notice when playing others is that must of the time they roll up as soon as it seems you can recover anymore. More often then not You still can with Vine whip
However this works more with people who have been spiked.;

Top Bottom