• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur: Weakest link?

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
I am trying to develop my Pojo (nickname for pokemon, go figure) skills to make him in my top three, or even my main. I usually start off with Squirtle because I am the fastest with him and I like to get the match going at a fast pace. Charlizard I use as survival and grabbing, and to KO them when for some reason I can't do it with Squirtle.

Wait, isn't there a gap in between? There is! O:

Ivysaur....

I've heard a lot on this forum say that he's great, maybe even the best. That shocks me. For some reason, my Ivy cannot do it. I feel I am weakest with him, and I don't really think I know how he functions. Whenever he comes out, I try to create an opening to switch out. I'm thinking maybe its my overall Brawl strategy with characters. I usally try to turn any character into an aerial character, and since I'm terrible at side tilts, my ground game leaves a lot to be desired. Is Ivysaur not meant for the air like I imagined? Or am I just using aerials too much that I get weakened drastically when grounded?

Sorry for no vids.

Oh, and my friend who plays a Jigg says that he hates my Ivy the most, because he racks up damage quickly for me to switch out and KO. And Ivy's Bair works wonders on Jiggs aerial based game.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I tend to play the aerial game alot too. And im horrible with ivy. I just dont think Ivy is really meant for aerial in the offensive form. But it might just be because Ivy is just a defensive style character by means of weak recovery, slow aerials, aside from the Nair and Bair. Attacks that have fairly long ending lag after alot of ivys attacks, making it somewhat harder to combo effectively. all 3 of ivy's specials have long range capability.

It just doesnt match with my fighting style at all. Best i can do is use razor leaf as an approach and then some how trip him into a bullet seed and hope for a kill.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Yeah, I mostly try use fair since I'm good at Ike's fair. So, defensivley? Like, let him come to me and counter attack? Hmmm. That makes sense, and its a strategy I don't really use. Haha.

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
I don't Ivy for aerials, only for his nair, whick is good for combos. Work on his ground game. Spam razor leaf to characters who don't have any projectiles. Use d-tilt for spacing. This helps a lot if you are getting owned up close.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
I've find that Ivysaur is both ground and aerial game, a good mix of the two. The main thing about Ivysaur is that he's all about the mid-range game more or less. As you may see most of this attacks or based off using his vines, so work that to your advantage in both ground and air. Aside from combo work he has a decent amount of knock back moves though they require some timing and practice to learn to use them. You mention you're not so great with the tilts, but with Ivysaur you may want to start learning on how to use them as his forward and down tilt are quite helpful. (The most used ones I use any how)

Fearmy

Smash Ace
SPAM RAZOR LEAF at Middle Right of stage, or Middle Left of stage, If they approach by air Do a SH forward DI while doing razor leaf then DI backwards as quickly as possible. Then when you land, razor leaf again. Ivysaur is a great shield grabber, almost as good as Charizard. BULLET SEED ROCKS OMG SPAM TEH H4X0RZ MOVE K? seriously it shuts out many characters like fox. when someone is charging at you, shield, and BS right out of it. Play Defensive, and DO NOT GO TO FAR OVER THE EDGE WHEN TRYING TO GIMP. That is a huge NO-NO. You should do a B-air into a F-tilt, a N-air if last hit doesn't hit (Just DI down when you are performing this move) into U-tilt, which you can try to do a F Smash on and VINE WHIP! (Up + B) Yeah i'm talking about this move, because THE SS, which ppl think is is the tip which i'm sure it is, but IT's also where ever the tip is (if you slow it down you can see the tip actually moves so fast, but you can still see the frames of the tip) Use Up B for killing moves, U-air when they least expect it, don't go around abusing that thing along with U-smash. F-smash when Edge Guarding. Use razor leaf to your advantage Ex: You razor leaf then quickly do a Dash attack. Use D-tilt to block off foes when they are coming (this actually has Long range, almost the length of neutral A)

Hope that helps

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Yeah, I mostly try use fair since I'm good at Ike's fair. So, defensivley? Like, let him come to me and counter attack? Hmmm. That makes sense, and its a strategy I don't really use. Haha.
He has to be spaced. You need the help of Bair to do that, but everytime you use it you need to make sure you make it back to the ground as soon as possible. You NEED to learn how tuse the Ftilt, too, since its Ivy's other spacing tool. Dtilt serves a similar role, except you will not really be able to follow up on it. However, it doesn't move you forward like Ftilt, and makes a good attack after someone shields all of Ftilt (Assuming they don't just grab you afterwards).

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
I see. Thanks a lot. I should've been more specific though. I'm good with Dtilts, and okay with Utilts. I'm not good at all with Stilts, as they either turn into dashes or smash attacks. But yeah, I'm already doing most of what is said, though I never thought to use Up B, nor Stilt (never really liked that attack.)

Would you say that Ivysaur is a patient person's character?

Fearmy

Smash Ace
i'm not patient and i'm not that great, but what i make up for it is Doing a SH DI forward with Razor Leaf and then back. For some reason it kinda is a little complicated to use such a simple move, but it feels like you are doing something which helps

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
You can't force every character in any fighting game into the same archetype or mold. It's like trying to swing a broken beer bottle the same way you would nunchuks.

That seems to be your problem.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I actually play a rather aggressive Ivysaur myself to quite a bit of success. If you're going to use his air game, you need good spacing, orrr to land on the other side of their shield where they can't do anything in the case of Nair.

Razor Leaf will often set up for a grab, which is pretty nice. Vine Whip becomes more and more useful as you can experience with the move. Moves like Ftilt are pretty mandatory for Ivysaur, though. Shield Bullet Seed doesn't always catch them. =(

I'd have to say focus on playing center-stage too. Ivysaur doesn't like to take risks.

wavelucas

Smash Apprentice
I actually play a rather aggressive Ivysaur myself to quite a bit of success. If you're going to use his air game, you need good spacing, orrr to land on the other side of their shield where they can't do anything in the case of Nair.

Razor Leaf will often set up for a grab, which is pretty nice. Vine Whip becomes more and more useful as you can experience with the move. Moves like Ftilt are pretty mandatory for Ivysaur, though. Shield Bullet Seed doesn't always catch them. =(

I'd have to say focus on playing center-stage too. Ivysaur doesn't like to take risks.
yeah, i just spam bullet seed if i can, otherwise i use razor leaf, fsmash and dash attack, or just switch to him so i can die and become charizard

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Bullet seed helps a lot now. The only problem are my inaccuracies, but thats something I gotta work on myself. I'm actually starting to like Ivy more and more now. Aerial game's a little rough, but I'm making it work, and now focusing on my Charizard, which needs polishing. Haha.

Top Bottom