• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've made a list of Yoshi's TRUE/POSSIBLE combos

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
EDIT: added Dthrow combo follow ups

DISCLAIMER PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING:
Yes, it does show them as true combos in Training Mode's combo counter

All combos were tested on a Cptn Falcon CPU, on a flat stage, in training mode. Please keep in mind that hit% and/or combo viability will vary from character, character weight, character height, the player's execution, DI, timing, the presence of platforms and how the opponent is hit (close, far, in the air ecc). This is a guide to give players a general idea of what true combos are possible and/or useful/useless. If i missed something or you think something is off/wrong, please feel free to correct me. Hopefully you'll find this list helpful.

PS fore the joy of some players that wanted me to test this stuff on Diddy, I didn't try all the combos, just some to see how it reacted, and % feels mostly the same . Plus, almost every combo still connects.

Yoshi basic true combos

Jab to…
  • Dash Attack from 20% to 60%
Uptilt to…

…Jab
  • Jab (first hit) from 0% to 10%
…Tilts
  • Utilt from 11% to 62%
  • Ftilt (high angle) from 11% to 17%
…Smash Attacks
  • Upsmash from 0% to 90% (no kill, maybe with rage?)
…Aerial
  • Uair from 30% to 175% (DJ from 160%) CAN KILL from 120%
  • Fair (reverse tilt) from 75% to 85% (no spike)
  • Bair (easier with reverse tilt) from 35% to 145% (DJ from 75%) CAN KILL from 130%
  • Nair (easier with reverse tilt) from 5% to 175% (DJ from 110%)
  • Fair needs testing with human players
…Specials
  • UpB (reverse tilt) from 15% to 120%
  • NeutralB needs testing with human player
…Grabs

• Grab needs testing with human player

(Landing) Upair to…

…Jab
  • Jab from 0% to 25%
…Tilts
  • Utilt from 10% to 45%
  • Ftilt from 0% to 25%
…Aerials
  • Uair from 30% to 100% (DJ from 71%) CAN KILL from 95%
  • Fair from 45% to 80% (DJ from 55%)
  • Bair from 35% to 75% (DJ from 55%)
  • Nair from 10% to 80% (DJ from 55%)
  • Dair needs testing with human player
…Smash Attacks
  • Usmash from 20% to 50%
  • Fsmash from 22% to 25%
  • Dsmash from 5% to 19%
…Specials
  • UpB from 30% to 70%
  • DownB from 60% to 65%
  • NeutralB needs testing with human players
…Grabs
(Airborne) Uair to…

…Aerials
  • Uair from 55% to 75% (immediate DJ) CAN KILL
(Landing) Nair to…

(please note, it depends on where you land and how you hit the opponent, usually with a weak hit)

…Jab
  • Jab from 5% to 58%

…Dash Attack
  • DA from 10% to +90% (needs human player)
…Tilts
  • Utilt possible, timing is VERY strict %?
  • Ftilt from 10% to 70%
  • Dtilt from % to 70%
…Smash Attacks
  • Usmash from 20% to ?% needs human player
  • Dsmash 15% to 70%

…Grabs

(Landing) Fair to… (spike) WARNING CAN BE TECHED

…Jab
  • Jab from 51% to 70%
…Dash Attack
  • DA from 51% to 70%
…Tilts
  • Utilt from 51% to 85%
  • Ftilt from 51% to 60%

…Smash Attacks
  • Usmash from 51% to 110% CAN KILL from 100%
  • Fsmash from 55% to 75% CAN KILL from 75%
  • Smash from 60% to 61%
…Specials
  • UpB from 80% to 140%
  • DownB from 100% to 130% (depends on the way the opponent bounces on the ground) CAN KILL from 100%
  • Neutral B needs testing with human players
…Grabs
  • Grab needs to be tested with a human player
UpB to…(largely depends on how the opponent is hit)

…Dash Attack
  • Dash Attack from 0% to 35
…Aerials
  • Uair from 55% to +200% CAN KILL from 125%
  • Fair from 40% to +200% CAN KILL from 150% (no spike, with spike 190% CAN BE TECHED)
…Smash Attacks
  • UpSmash from 0% to 170% CAN KILL from 110%
….Grab
  • Grab from 0% to ?% (ending& needs testing with human player)
…(other egg combos are possible, but so impractical that are basically none existent)

GRAB to…

...Dthrow
  • (DJ) Uair from 125% to +200 CAN KILL from 125% (you need to be QUICK with that DJ for this one)
NeutralB to…

...NeutralB combos with anything while in the egg (except for Grabs and NeutralB), it appears that there is some hit stun on the opponent while he breaks, needs testing with human players.

Yoshi true combos application examples
  • Utilt + Utilt + Uair from 11% to 52%, DJ from 41%
  • Utilt + (jump) Uair + (jump) Uair CAN KILL from 75%
  • Utilt + Jab(first hit) + grab (needs testing with human player)
  • (Landing) Uair + Utilt + Utilt + Uair
  • (Landing) Fair + Utilt + Uair
  • (after DJ) Fair + Uair

Honorable mentions (not true combos):

• Tilt + DownB From 90% CAN KILL from 110%
  • Dtilt + Dash Attack
  • Utilt + Utilt + Uair (<- still real combo) + Uair + Egg

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi's throws rarely combo into anything.
However, Dthrow and Uthrow puts the opponent in a disfavourable position and you can try to bait stuff.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Jab1→downB true combos on fastfallers (the leap only hits grounded opponents). Against Falcon, it combos 91-150% and kills at 127%.

LieSander

Smash Rookie
*Because of the 3DS 1.04 patch rendering replays from previous versions unplayable, I don't really have a solid example of this being a true combo, but it was against a lvl 9 pikachu*

I found at that time that late Nair -> Fair spike connected successfully at around 85%, and because it was a level 9 (they love to spam airdodge), can it be considered a true combo? I've never been able to perfectly reproduce it in another actual game setting but I feel that to make this work, Yoshi must have:
  • forward momentum
  • hit the opponent with the last possible Nair hitbox before landing
  • short hop on the first possible frame after landing, achievable through buffering
It would be really awesome if someone else could somehow pull this off against another human player

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Yoshi's throws rarely combo into anything.
However, Dthrow and Uthrow puts the opponent in a disfavourable position and you can try to bait stuff.
Dthrow does true combo with Uair at high%, timing is strict but it's legit

*Because of the 3DS 1.04 patch rendering replays from previous versions unplayable, I don't really have a solid example of this being a true combo, but it was against a lvl 9 pikachu*

I found at that time that late Nair -> Fair spike connected successfully at around 85%, and because it was a level 9 (they love to spam airdodge), can it be considered a true combo? I've never been able to perfectly reproduce it in another actual game setting but I feel that to make this work, Yoshi must have:
  • forward momentum
  • hit the opponent with the last possible Nair hitbox before landing
  • short hop on the first possible frame after landing, achievable through buffering
It would be really awesome if someone else could somehow pull this off against another human player
If the opponent could air dodge between the Nair and the Fair it wasn't a true combo unfortunately. The hits must connect while the opponent is still in hit stun to be considered as such. None the less, it's still interesting to know!

Retoman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Retoman7
I don't know if this should count but if you do a landing Bair and hit the ground before the 3rd tail slap hits, the opponent will slam into the ground (sort of like how fox can use his fair to drag people toward the ground. If they don't tech the landing you can chain this into yoshi's egg bomb (and some other moves but I'm pretty sure egg bomb does the most damage). As long as they don't tech the landing this is inescapable.

Last edited:

Xavdul

Smash Rookie
NNID
kamodo2299
Earlier i got a landing dair to ftilt on zss, but im not sure how reliable that is. But all of these combos are helpful, thanks.

Last edited:

fwb

Smash Cadet
I'm brand new to the game and getting into yoshi. Could you please order these in rank of most useful? Would help a ton with my learning. Great info, thanks!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The more useful ones would probably be the ones that start from Utilt, Uair, and jab. It's worth noting that the opening post in this thread does not include combos off of Jab1, such as Jab1 > Usmash, or Jab 1 > Down B.

Axion

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this is a perfect true combo as it can have relatively strict timing but short hop nair(strong hit at low percents, weak hit at higher percents) > fast fall while moving forward into single jab > down b. Generally I hit this most often between 10-40%. It is effective at stacking the damage and if you can manage to pull it off with a weak nair at high percents it can kill.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as nobody has brought this up as a combo I think it needs adding. When pummeling a character there is a predictable result to their grab release. A grab release while during a pummel animation ALWAYS releases an opponent grounded whereas a grab release in between pummels results in the opponent popping out aerial.

For Yoshi grounded grab releases followup with jab as a true combo against the vast majority of the cast, certain characters release slightly further away (Yoshi being one of them) such that you can't jab followup but for most this is an option.

This results in grab+pummel+jabjab+dash attack being a true combo at 0-40% dependent on opponent mashout. It also results in grab+pummel+jabjab+regrab being a viable mixup at higher percents where opponents will shield expecting a dash attack after the double jab.

A particular zero to death string I've been toying with is:

grab+pummel+jabjab+dash attack-nair-upB+fair

This has good horizontal movement that effectively results in a dunk. Hyphens represent the segment where opponents can get out. This is obviously also dependent on luck with the grab release as ultimately neither you nor your opponent have the ability to guarantee whether it releases grounded or not.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Is that truly how our grab release works in this game? I thought aerial release was only guaranteed if the opponent hit jump during their mashing.

I don't think we have frame advantage on break out either. We might win the boxing game immediately afterwards because our jab is good, but I don't think it's guaranteed.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Is that truly how our grab release works in this game? I thought aerial release was only guaranteed if the opponent hit jump during their mashing.

I don't think we have frame advantage on break out either. We might win the boxing game immediately afterwards because our jab is good, but I don't think it's guaranteed.

It is how forcing a grounded grab release works, I've done it enough to be certain now and I tend to use pummel grab release more often than actual throws now. I'm not sure if it is how aerial release guarantees work though, you may be correct there.

The grab release IS character dependent, but we do have frame advantage over all characters with a jab slower than 3 frames. List of jab speeds:

Lose

Little Mac1
szerosuit (Zero Suit Samus)1
Falco2
Fox2
Luigi2 - Doesn't Work due to releasing too far
Mario2
Mariod (Dr. Mario)2
Mii Fighter2
Peach2
Pikachu2
Rockman (Mega Man)2
Sheik 2

Clash

Captain Falcon3
Diddy Kong3
Greninja3
Kirby3
Murabito (Villager)3
Ness3
Robot (R.O.B.)3
Samus3
Sonic3
Yoshi3- Doesn't Work due to releasing too far

Wins

Duck Hunt4
Mr. Game & Watch4
Ike4
Koopa Jr. (Bowser Jr.)4
Lizardon (Charizard)4
Pacman4
Pikman (Olimar/Alf)4
Reflet (Robin)4
Wii Fit Trainer4
Donkey Kong5
Lucina5
Marth5
Mii Gunner5
Pit5
Pitb (Dark Pit)5
Purin (Jigglypuff)5
Shulk5
Lucario6
Toon Link6
Koopa (Bowser)7
Link7
Meta Knight7
Mii Swordsman7
Palutena7
Ganondorf8
Rosetta (Rosaluma)8
Wario8
King Dedede10
Zelda11

It's important to note that the first jab won't ALWAYS be in range against all of the cast, the distance the ground grab release occurs is character dependent. On some characters your first jab will miss while your second jab will connect, and some characters (such as the Yoshi ditto) the release will not be in range whatsoever.

Play around with it and see what else you come up with. There may be a valuable pummel release jab usmash combo which would be an extremely useful tool.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, pummel causing grounded grab release probably also sets up the crouch cancelled jab combo which would rack up significant damage. I've yet to experiment with attack on C-Stick so it's not in my repertoire yet, but people should do some testing. It will only be a set up on certain characters that release at the right range but a grab method to force the crouchcancel jab combo would be very useful.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Been like that for awhile though.

Should write Luigi down as one of the few characters we sometimes can't jab. GR either leaves him next to us or sometimes makes him slide too far away.
Dunno on others yet that randomly skid too far away but just jotting down that Luigi is one of em.

Who would've guessed that Yoshi wins in the jab game against Yoshi tho

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Been like that for awhile though.

Should write Luigi down as one of the few characters we sometimes can't jab. GR either leaves him next to us or sometimes makes him slide too far away.
Dunno on others yet that randomly skid too far away but just jotting down that Luigi is one of em.

Who would've guessed that Yoshi wins in the jab game against Yoshi tho
Cheers, edited to fix that Yoshi typo. I've edited in Luigi and Yoshi as it not working against. If folks bring up more I'll keep it updated.

Would love to work out if it sets up for crouch cancelled jab combos against some of the cast, a list of who it does and doesn't work against would be valuable to keep hold of.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
Neat little trick i just learned tonight from experimenting. Perfect pivot into the ledge egglay out of perfect pivot "yoshi's back would be facing the ledge "(like the dash into shield on ledge, jump cancel egg toss trick). the momentum will push you off the ledge.while finishing the egg lay actions allowing for more ledge guarding opportunities.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Weres the footstol true combos? Theres alot of true combos missing.

salaboB

Smash Champion
It is how forcing a grounded grab release works, I've done it enough to be certain now and I tend to use pummel grab release more often than actual throws now. I'm not sure if it is how aerial release guarantees work though, you may be correct there.

The grab release IS character dependent, but we do have frame advantage over all characters with a jab slower than 3 frames. List of jab speeds:
I've seen people shield the jab attempts when I'm mashing A as fast as I can -- I don't know if it's online lag or not, but it seems escapable.

Also, Ryu should be on the list of people it doesn't work against. His up-B punishes the attempt hard.

Edit: I also just had a Marth counter me when I tried. It beats his jab, but not his counter. So unless it's online lag slowing down the jab, I don't think this is inescapable.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
The pumble grab release can also set up into a Down B kill.
I'm sure that's punishable, there's no way the timing works fast enough for it to not be.

Edit: It's good to know about though because it will probably work quite frequently online, latency makes it so much harder to punish close range Down B's.

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I've seen people shield the jab attempts when I'm mashing A as fast as I can -- I don't know if it's online lag or not, but it seems escapable.

Also, Ryu should be on the list of people it doesn't work against. His up-B punishes the attempt hard.

Edit: I also just had a Marth counter me when I tried. It beats his jab, but not his counter. So unless it's online lag slowing down the jab, I don't think this is inescapable.
So I don't visit here often enough...

I noticed this shielding occurring after the last update (with the new character additions). My assumption is that something was changed with perfect shielding in that update or Yoshi's grab pummel release did receive a nerf that not many people noticed because it was so subtle.

I am 100% certain that this was a true combo previously whereas now it is possible to perfect shield upon grounded release.

This isn't too much of a problem dependent on the matchup, Yoshi's jab range is pretty good compared to some characters so he can often continue spamming jab until they open their shield or roll, alternatively you can read the shield and simply throw out another grab.

But I think this is something that was missed in the update. Either shields start up faster or pummel release stun time was reduced.

It's sad that this was taken away as it WAS useful for getting hit-confirm usmash and downB.

salaboB

Smash Champion
That explains it, thanks for the followup!

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
That explains it, thanks for the followup!
No worries.

Don't be completely discouraged from this change as ruining the option though. Instead of a guaranteed combo it's now a shield breaker mixup.

grab>pummel>jabjab>downB

If they shield the jabs this becomes a (nearly) guaranteed shieldbreaker combo. They CAN roll out of the down B with very good timing after Yoshi pops into the air but it's pretty strict, too early and they get hit in the roll animation startup, too late and a star hits them. If they try to shield grab the jabs they hit fast enough for Yoshi to interrupt the grab with the second jab or downB startup.

It's still something every Yoshi should be using until they see their opponent has the roll timing to get out of it.

My matches against people at the moment basically start with "How well does this opponent know the Yoshi matchup?" where I work through combos like this to find out what their response is. Whether they interrupt it with jab, shield, or do something else. I still meet competitive Falcons that don't use their jab as a counter and take the hits, so always test what option your opponent chooses.

A lot of Yoshis have dropped this as useless now that it can be shielded, people need to experiment a little more before coming to conclusions.

Note that Captain Falcon's grab is quick enough to interrupt the downB though.

Last edited:

Sixell

Smash Cadet
I found you guys a new true combo. You're going to have to test percents with other characters, but Jab 1 to Down B is true on Sheik at 82% and kills at 93+% off the top of Omega Wily Castle. You might want to make a list of start/kill percents per character because this looks like it can be amazing finisher for you Yoshi mains.

Edit: This only seems to work on Sheik, Fox, Falco, Bowser, Dedede, Megaman, Roy, Diddy (although it doesn't count as a combo in training), ZSS and possibly more. The percents at which this can be done seem narrow (except for Sheik) and it seems to somehow depend on weight and fall speed. I'm no Yoshi main, but this might convince me to use him as a secondary if we can get some data going for each character as to what %s this is a true combo and who it can be used on.

Here's some weight and fall speed data if someone wants to pick this up.

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I found you guys a new true combo. You're going to have to test percents with other characters, but Jab 1 to Down B is true on Sheik at 82% and kills at 93+% off the top of Omega Wily Castle. You might want to make a list of start/kill percents per character because this looks like it can be amazing finisher for you Yoshi mains.

Edit: This only seems to work on Sheik, Fox, Falco, Bowser, Dedede, Megaman, Roy, Diddy (although it doesn't count as a combo in training), ZSS and possibly more. The percents at which this can be done seem narrow (except for Sheik) and it seems to somehow depend on weight and fall speed. I'm no Yoshi main, but this might convince me to use him as a secondary if we can get some data going for each character as to what %s this is a true combo and who it can be used on.

Here's some weight and fall speed data if someone wants to pick this up.
This is actually fairly well known but appears to be undocumented here because the thread owner referred to jab as both hits of the jab.

Yes we can hit confirm into downB against a lot of the cast with jab. We can also hit confirm into Usmash though which is considerably more reliable when paired with a jump cancelled dash.

It also works as a hitconfirm for utilt which extends our utilt combos slightly I suppose.

Second hit of bair combos into dsmash and usmash if it cancels into the ground. This makes bair pretty reliable as a kill even close to the ground. It's a situational combo Yoshis need to know about because it does happen often enough for it to occur in clutch moments.

If you're looking for kill options, downB from the correct position when your opponent is at edge will cover get up attack, get up, and jumping get up. Which is 3 out of 4 untelegraphed options. If they drop to jump up you have time to react with shield, a roll up is 1/4 chance and downB can be breversed from the same position to cover this option. 4/4 options covered. Does work on reaction. It is relatively easy to get people to go to the ledge with high eggs to zone people downwards too. In all honesty this is our most reliable kill option in my opinion, other things rely on reads or opponents making mistakes in the neutral, this gives you a 75% chance if you can't spot the roll up on reaction, or a 100% if you can spot the roll up. My assumption is that as this evolves in the meta opponents will stop grabbing the ledge against Yoshi and always choose to go high taking egg damage.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Someone should take over this and keep it up to date with the patch changes.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
There haven't been any notable patch changes that have affected Yoshi's combo game. The only notable thing about this thread and today's meta is that better players WILL shield if you use the pummel release combo now, it is not true.

As far as I am aware everything else here continues to be the same, there are also a number of notable things missing that are currently used regularly by better Yoshi's such as 1st or 2nd hit bair cancels dragged into the stage which follows up with all smashes. Then there are some ledge cancel combos too. There's a few things where egg hits also become true combos at higher percents that aren't listed here too, such as eggthrow>uair.

All in all I don't think there's anything that needs to be taken away here. Dthrow>uair is DI and percent dependent, it can become true at high percents on certain characters. That's just about the only critcism.

Yes, it could use updating, but there isn't really anything here that has changed in patches. There's some misinformation from people still trying to learn but it's all pretty good info.

Yoshi's Advanced Tech has been massively affected by patches, he's had many bugs patched out and many useful techs for him have disappeared. That's the only thing you really need to worry about when looking through the Yoshi boards, the rest of him has remained pretty much completely untouched.

TheRedLemming

Smash Cadet
A decently good combo option, (performed against an ike) that I've found that isn't true:
Jabs -> Grab Pummels -> release -> Jabs -> Fair (I got it on shield but it would have made him do the weird animation of crumpling at that % (20)) -> Utilt -> Uair -> Dub Jump -> Uair -> Fair FF -> Upsmash
Went from 0-85% on that one string. Like Skitrel said it's likely good people will shield it, but you catch it it's a fairly okay string to get.

Top Bottom