• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've decided to main PAC-MAN! Where do I go for great tutorials?

TruthAlone

Smash Rookie
NNID
TruthAlone
3DS FC
2423-2804-9358
PAC-MAN was the character that made me the most hyped up for Smash 4, and I was so excited to play as him, but when Smash 4 came out, I barely played him, and found myself playing Falcon all the time.

Now I'm bored with Falcon and how he works so I'm switching back to my true calling!

I know a little bit about how PAC-MAN works, how he zones and traps opponents, and I know some cool techniques, like regrabbing the GALAGA bonus-fruit, throwing the key off-stage and re-grabbing it to Z-Drop it on your hydrant/opponent, but where do I go to learn all the crazy things PAC-MAN can do?

I want to start labbing ASAP.

Thanks guys and girls! :]

verbatim

Smash Ace
Honestly, at this point the only thing you will really benefit from learning is how to Fruit Cancel, beyond that it's significantly better to just go out and practice learning the timing to your neutral attacks, especially his tilts and aerials.

Fruit Canceling is when you cancel out of your charging fruit animation into another special attack, to do it, while you're charging fruit you need to air dodge/grab and then immediately (few frames, I'd recommend practicing it in training mode until you can consistently do it on a GC controller, if you have a Pro Controller just make y grab and then the motion becomes b->y->direction b) input another special move.

The most important use of this is dropping a Hydrant to cover yourself while you're in midair, but you can probably find some fun baits with Trampoline.

Huge

Smash Apprentice
Links:
Pac in action
Pac frame data
Very useful threads

I recommend watching high-level matches intently and taking note of everything the Pac player does. Don't be afraid to put on some music and watch at 0.5x speed if you need time to think! Zage is a great player to check out; watch how he catches and uses fruit carefully.

Practice:
- FRUIT CANCELLING
- snapping ledge with sideb

- using trampoline out of shield/using trampoline to bypass shields
- catching the galaxian, melon, and bell (key is very hard and stage-specific)
- low to mid percent galaxian combos
- z-dropping
- linking Pac's various moves into each other at low percent*
- hydrant percents and angles
- the 130%-ish fair to key kill confirm (fun!)

*experiment with Pac's moves, and use his frame data to inform your gameplay (Nair has a lot of cooldown but low landing lag, while Fair has very low cooldown but more landing lag, for example.)
Welcome, and good luck! :4pacman:

Last edited:

TruthAlone

Smash Rookie
NNID
TruthAlone
3DS FC
2423-2804-9358
Thanks! I plan on labbing tomorrow. I've been having some pretty severe health issues lately so I've been away from the Wii U for a month or two.

Thanks for taking up your time to write all that, I really appreciate it!

Huge

Smash Apprentice
No problem! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Feel free to send me any questions you've got. Anyone who chooses the path of the Pac is a friend of mine!

Top Bottom