• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've been trying to be in competitive smash, and I already feel like giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronocide

Smash Cadet
If you're going to quit then just quit, really I can't see yourself making it very far if it requires a few people you don't know on a smash forum to encourage you to make a big commitment like being a competitive smash player. Yeah I sound like a bit of a **** but all I'm telling you is a harsh reality, if you're not capable of something don't do it.

Ah but here's the twist,
See the thing is I believe that anybody can become a competitive smash player if they put enough time and effort into it, even you! (to emphasize this pretend I'm pointing at my monitor right now) I mean this is just my personal view on things (and to quote Reggie "I suck at smash"), but really with the abundance of online information, people willing to help, guides, advice, videos you've really hit the jackpot when it comes to learning. The only thing that it comes down to is are you willing to put the time and effort into becoming a competitive player? But that's something that might take a while for you to find out.

Anyways motivational issues aside, my favorite way to improve at the game is to find another player via something like /r/smashconnect and then allow them to give me feedback on ways I can improve and things that I'm doing wrong, in return I do the same for them. Because it's a lot easier to point out somebody else's flaws then it is to point out your own. It's best to do this with a variety of players so you can find ways to adapt to different playstyles and characters.
Anyways OP, good luck with whatever you do.

Xtianosity

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xtianosity
I see that you are a Villager main. If you need any help getting better or just training I would be happy to help! Just don't give up. If you really stop having fun, that would be the point when I would stop playing. Just play to have fun.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
I feel this way a lot. I play 4G and have a 66% win-rate, and it infuriates me the way rolling and dodging gives you SO much levity and downright advantage in the fight. It's the single worst part of the game, and I have a hard time believing many people will disagree with that.

I play against Sonics and Little Macs and I just want to rage. His enhanced roll and just general lack of lag whatsoever is so unfun. K.O. punch is so... ****ing broken. A kill move that goes through shields? Nah, **** that character. They really ****ed up with him. He could have been a lot better if they toned him down just a bit and gave him a recovery, that was such a mistake.

The amount of people who spam projectiles, or even just really safe moves is also absurd. I need to start playing on a ladder.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
@ Colin Steele Colin Steele Sonic's character design is to confuse and annoy you with his speed and punish your mistakes. Mac is pretty much the strongest punisher in the game, although he himself is punished harshly as well, especially if grabbed. KO Punch isn't as broken as you say: it's short ranged, only useful on the ground, has a time limit before it vanishes, and can be lost by getting hit. I agree that rolls are a bit stronger than I'd like, but they're still punishable if used haphazardly, and don't instantly give you the advantage, but prolong neutral. As for projectile spammers: that's just a side effect of FD being the only stage in FG for some stupid reason, and the only way to alleviate this is to play a ladder.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
If you're going to quit then just quit, really I can't see yourself making it very far if it requires a few people you don't know on a smash forum to encourage you to make a big commitment like being a competitive smash player. Yeah I sound like a bit of a **** but all I'm telling you is a harsh reality, if you're not capable of something don't do it.

Ah but here's the twist,
See the thing is I believe that anybody can become a competitive smash player if they put enough time and effort into it, even you! (to emphasize this pretend I'm pointing at my monitor right now) I mean this is just my personal view on things (and to quote Reggie "I suck at smash"), but really with the abundance of online information, people willing to help, guides, advice, videos you've really hit the jackpot when it comes to learning. The only thing that it comes down to is are you willing to put the time and effort into becoming a competitive player? But that's something that might take a while for you to find out.

Anyways motivational issues aside, my favorite way to improve at the game is to find another player via something like /r/smashconnect and then allow them to give me feedback on ways I can improve and things that I'm doing wrong, in return I do the same for them. Because it's a lot easier to point out somebody else's flaws then it is to point out your own. It's best to do this with a variety of players so you can find ways to adapt to different playstyles and characters.
Anyways OP, good luck with whatever you do.
Indeed, wanting to be pro doesn't make you entitled to be pro. You're gonna have to put the hard work in anyway. Another thing you might have to do if you want to play competitively is to not use characters that aren't working for you simply because you love the games they are from.

Also why on earth would someone record games while holding their phone thereby making the picture all wobbly? Seriously, have some respect for the people you expect to watch your videos and provide you with critique.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Indeed, wanting to be pro doesn't make you entitled to be pro. You're gonna have to put the hard work in anyway. Another thing you might have to do if you want to play competitively is to not use characters that aren't working for you simply because you love the games they are from.

Also why on earth would someone record games while holding their phone thereby making the picture all wobbly? Seriously, have some respect for the people you expect to watch your videos and provide you with critique.
Have some respect to me. Diamond said even if its a crappy phone, they can still help. And I was desperate to get help.

Either your a troll, or just an extremely rude person.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Basically I don't like the idea of the competitive section having blog like topics. Since that has started to become a pretty big theme here it heavily clutters up the board and I've opened the advice/game play thread to cover that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom