• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the "So Long Ness" Monster of an update

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why you are all saying "Ness is gone" just because it says "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now" It is saying that Ness hasn't yet appeared in this game, basically saying he isn't ANNOUNCED yet, not that he isn't in.

It also says "But Lucas’s physical combat style is quite different. By which I mean, he does not have the same standard moves."

He says himself that there are some differences. I don't see why Ness can't adopt a new set of specials and still be in. I think for a character and series that has been part of Super Smash Bros. since the beginning they deserve at least two representatives, and for Ness to be back in.

krynny

Smash Cadet
Ness was a fun char to play with, but Lucas looks fun and very similar. TBH, Lucas looks a lot more powerful than Ness did. the only thing I'll miss about Ness was his forward smash. I,m sure I wont be hard pressed to find a way to cope with Ness gone.

I think his PK Fire looks really cool when it explodes now. If Master Hand is in this game at all, can they be frozen by Lucas' freeze move? Lucas looks stronge rbut more vunerable than Ness was. Ness' moves often covered all angles, like his yo-yo attacks and his down B. Lucas looks to have stronger hits, but only seems to attack whats in front of him.

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
IF Ness gets in again, he will have a new moveset. Clones are out. If Ness doesnt get a new moveset he is not in, and if you think he is.. You are naive.

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
IF Ness gets in again, he will have a new moveset. Clones are out. If Ness doesnt get a new moveset he is not in, and if you think he is.. You are naive.
thanks for going with the presumption that we are naive.

what the **** is wrong with all the pessimistic people here? jesus christ.

thefindingmoon

Smash Cadet
IM almost positive that ness is out. I hope you that say he is not are right but im pretty sure he is out

Ness was my favorite character and it seem kind of retarted to take a character out that isn't a clone especially if your going to replace him with some one that looks really stupid ....

Ness3D

Smash Rookie
Ness is not deconfirmed.

"Up until now" is certainly a discouraging set of words, but that's it.

All it literally tells you is that until now, Ness has been in Smash. What many people are assuming is that there is an unspoken part of the sentence: Up until now, Ness has been in Smash "BUT not anymore." It could also be "Up until now, Ness has been in Smash, AND he will continue to be."

I know it's a weird phrasing, but this is Sakurai we're talking about.
I wouldn't write Ness off yet.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are the DOJO translations 100% reliable and to be taken literally? - Probably not. So yes, the "until now" statement isn't completely conclusive.

Does today's update hurt Ness' chances to return? - OBVIOUSLY. I mean come on, they gave him Ness' special moveset almost intact. It would be stupid to make ness return with a different moveset now. Think about it; it's like if they gave all of Ryu's moves to a new character in the next streetfighter, then made Ryu return with completely different moves. Sounds silly, right?

Deal with it. As much as i love Ness and the Mother franchise, his chance of returning now is near zero. And comparing Ness / Lucas to the Mario / Luigi argument is absurd: Ness not returning isn't equivalent to Luigi not returning.

Ness is gone. Lucas may have some different physicals, but if Ness had indeed made it into brawl he'd probably have received similar modifications, like most other characters did.

So yes, we can all say that Ness is gone. He was great while he lasted.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Ness is not deconfirmed.

All it literally tells you is that until now, Ness has been in Smash. What many people are assuming is that there is an unspoken part of the sentence: Up until now, Ness has been in Smash "BUT not anymore." It could also be "Up until now, Ness has been in Smash, AND he will continue to be."

Yea i think some people are having a hard time understanding that UP UNTIL NOW really means up until this moment. Doesnt mean he wont be returning.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Ness is not deconfirmed.

It's Sakurai... AND that goofy American translator. lol.

Don't get me wrong... I think Lucas in interesting... but it seems a bit odd to replace Ness.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Ness is not deconfirmed.

that is tru...considering Sakurai is one of the most un predictable in the world...Some thing just tells me were going to get another MOTHER (EarthBound) update tommorow...

It's Sakurai... AND that goofy American translator. lol.

Don't get me wrong... I think Lucas in interesting... but it seems a bit odd to replace Ness.
Ditto

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I'll just say that this board has a long history of misinterpreting the Dojo and jumping to conclusions about things.

"One final smash per match" anybody?

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I'll just say that this board has a long history of misinterpreting the Dojo and jumping to conclusions about things.

"One final smash per match" anybody?
Ahh... good times...

You should have also mentioned Meta Knight's back shield roll = Wavedash.

Anyway, you can never say something's NOT going to be in the game. How many people said Pokemon Trainer couldn't be in the game? Or that Ice Climbers aren't coming back?

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
So no, we can't all say that Ness is gone. Deal with it. I don't know WHY you are so pessimistic about it, but I think Ness still has hope.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
The only thing that has me worried is if ness is out then that means that the "Original 12" can be tampered with. That would mean that Jigglypuff's chances have decreased, even if it's slightly.

Lucas is cool though. That rope snake thing makes me wish Sakurai wrote " Is that a snake in your hand or are you just happy to see me?"

Anyone see Pokémon trainer in that pic with Charizard?

Fawriel

Smash Master
... I don't get you people.
Oh well. *sigh*

Ness was a fun char to play with, but Lucas looks fun and very similar. TBH, Lucas looks a lot more powerful than Ness did. the only thing I'll miss about Ness was his forward smash. I,m sure I wont be hard pressed to find a way to cope with Ness gone.

I think his PK Fire looks really cool when it explodes now. If Master Hand is in this game at all, can they be frozen by Lucas' freeze move? Lucas looks stronge rbut more vunerable than Ness was. Ness' moves often covered all angles, like his yo-yo attacks and his down B. Lucas looks to have stronger hits, but only seems to attack whats in front of him.
Ah, but you are jumping to conclusions. His fsmash might well be intact. Maybe it'll use a wooden plank this time instead of a baseball bat. But the fsmash wasn't deconfirmed.
Also, there's nothing at all that says that his dsmash will only attack in one direction. To me it looked like he turned around while using the move.
And I'm pretty certain that the single-direction PK Magnet will make up for its downside by being much faster than Ness' was in Melee.

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
thanks for going with the presumption that we are naive.

what the **** is wrong with all the pessimistic people here? jesus christ.
Sakurai in e-mail responses said:
#81-90: Not all characters will return. As for the previous game's characters, some of them will disappear. Definitely.
Not because I dont like Ness. Really I like that guy, but I just cant imagine Sakurai doing the mistake of adding clones to another Smash game.

And its not called pessimistic, its REAListic.

Face it, Ness is out.

On a site note,
I will personally salute you if Ness is confirmed as a character in SSB:B (with a Melee moveset slightly modified)

Back on topic, I dont think the snake is helping that for tether recovery, just look at the length of it, it would have been easier to use PK Thunder :p

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yeah... I can't really have any hope for Ness anymore after "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now," :(

I never played as him that much, but still it's sad to see he's really gone.

peach-man

Smash Journeyman
The sweet, sweet land of sweet, sweet, chocolate,
W O W . . . I fight almost the same way with my peach, except for wavedashing, practicly impossible with her floatiness, if you know what I mean >.<
So...if Ness can pull what she can... Tiers Don Exits!!
Or thats just one hell of a skilled gamer XD

Off-topic:
I noticed in the after-match results, that in the Style points, my peach regulary pulls off a Meteor Smash >.< any idea how she does that?? cuz I don't XD

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
so long ness. maybe il play him in some more friendlies in melee to mourn his passing lol. im liking the changes to lucas though. hes similar enough to be a worthy replacement, and his physical attacks are much nicer. the down smash will be great for edgeguarding. i also like the extended throw, that will help so much over ness' crap grab range. the freeze though looks just as bad as flash though.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I wish Sakurai would have come out and said if Lucas is replacing Ness or not. All these ambiguous words are really frustrating. He could have said: "Unfortunately, the character Ness who has up until now been playable is now being replaced by Lucas." That would deconfirm Ness beyond a shadow of a hope. The fact that he left "up until now" without any sort of modifiers to give or remove hope is extremely frustrating. If Ness is truly gone, then this has been one of the cruelest weeks of updates ever.

However the update IS really a kick in the face to Ness and Kumatora fans. Lucas doesn't have a single move of his own to his name, except all of his PK Love attacks were hexagons. Way to alientate the english-speaking Earthbound fans, AGAIN.

Ah well, the position for Yoyo and Bat user is now open. Mike Jones for Brawl.

Drake3

Smash Ace
This is strange. When I first read the Dojo, there was no doubt in my mind that Ness was gone. I come here to find that people are still struggling with the news? Oh well, alot of people had a hard time accepting Mario's new Down+B too.

What does piss me off, is that everybody's only focussing on Ness when we have Lucas' moveset clearly in front of us, and in my opinion, it looks like a really kick *** one. Kudos to Lucas for using TK in some of his attacks (levitating lightning kick O_o). To me it doesn't matter that the rope snake is so short, at least it gives him an alternate method of returning to the stage. PK Fire- Beautiful, PK Thunder- I like PK Thunder >_>, PSI Magnet clearly does something new, and PK Freeze looks awesome. Lucas is definitely someone I'll be using alot.

AgentCantwell

Smash Rookie
Considering that none of Ness's moves in N64 or Melee belonged to him, maybe they could bring him back with a new move-set. I think his chances of coming back are lower but I don't take this as a confirm.

Maybe Sakurai will leave him locked, and than everyone playing will go "Holy ****, I thought he was gone!!!" I think that is why none of the original locked characters from both games have been revealed.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Well unless Sakurai is going overboard on mindgaming us this time, Ness seems pretty much retired. The comment is one thing but also along with the fact that we got every signal move of Lucus revealed along with Sakuria specifically tell us what was similar and different to Ness when Ness isn't even confirmed is a bit too much.

RIP Ness, you will be missed

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
For the 50 millionth freakin ****** time. <b>IT DOES NOT SAY THIS ON THE JAPANESE UPDATE. THIS WAS DONE TO SPARK
MORE HYPE AND DEBATE!!!</b>

My gosh do any of you even READ the japanese updates? It does not say "up until now" on the japanese updates. Here I
did a blog about Ness.

http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/11/08/71104/

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
This proves Sakurai's bias nature. He showed it with the ridiculous increase in percentage of Kirby representation, and he's showing it now with Japanese characters. Even though he said he wanted the roster to be more "universal" he's obviously not following up on it.

This was the most bias decision yet. I look forward to seeing more.

NukeA6

Smash Master
For the 50 millionth freakin ****** time. <b>IT DOES NOT SAY THIS ON THE JAPANESE UPDATE. THIS WAS DONE TO SPARK
MORE HYPE AND DEBATE!!!</b>

My gosh do any of you even READ the japanese updates? It does not say "up until now" on the japanese updates. Here I
did a blog about Ness.

http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/11/08/71104/
According to SamuraiPanda, you are wrong.

NESS DECONFIRMED!

Gosh, I thought the Tom Nook rabid fanboys were bad.

KoopaKoot

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai's mindgames rock. I bet he's awesome at smash. :chuckle:

No one knows for sure what will happen. I personally believe Ness will return with this "new flavour" Sakurai mentioned.

Just sit tight and wait for official news.

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you are all jumping to conclusions. Ness still has a chance, and I don't think Sakurai will disappoint.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yeah, you are all jumping to conclusions. Ness still has a chance, and I don't think Sakurai will disappoint.
It's impossible to appease everyone. He decided to go with pleasing the Japanese audience instead of us. Which I can't blame him TOO much. I'd be bias to, everyone would, but I wouldn't make this kind of move though, this.....this was just out-of-the-way spiteful to us Americans.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
People get used to the mindgames already!!!

If anyone hasn't figured out that Sakurai LOVES playing these games with us, you all need to learn REAL fast. Until Sakurai reveals Ness' update or we all get Brawl and he isn't there, stop assuming things. You all read WAAAAAAAYY too much into his updates, just take them as they are, it's a moveset update. Nothing more nothing less...

BTW, here are the other languages translations of todays update:

[SPANISH]

Surely you agree Ness, a character that appeared in previous editions of Smash Bros.. Well, Lucas is very similar to it. In fact, come from the same family of users of ISPs.

However, his style of fighting is quite different, because they do not have the same moves.

[FRENCH]

You know Ness since its appearance in the series Smash Bros., you will soon adopt Lucas, very similar. They belong to the same family of characters PK.

They have not the same style of fighting physics. What I mean is that they do not use the same standard moves.

[ITALIAN]

Lucas is very similar to Ness, a character who has always seemed so far in the series of Smash Bros. .. Both use the Psico powers.

But their way of fighting is quite different. And I mean that they do not have the same standard moves.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Even if we disregard the wording on the DOJO, Lucas still has all of Ness's special moves.

Not only that, but each special move seems to be an improvement of Ness's specials. The toward B goes horizantal in the air and looks more explosive, the Up B seems to go longer and is complimented by Lucas's tether recovery, the B nuetral has freezing properties, and the magnet can now also absorb some attacks other then projectiles.

If Ness was in the game, wouldn't Lucas get different specials. Sakurai stated his interest in avoiding clones.

And if Ness was in the game, wouldn't he be revealed first? All the main characters of a franchise appeared ont he Dojo before other characters int he same franchise.

Top Bottom