• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Item Spike?? *lock*

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
(searched "item spike" no topics about it, but feel free to lock this one if there is)

This is not important for most people, but for the 3 people on this board who use items, or the people whose friends are not as competative and enjoy using items (like me), then this could be for you.

Story:
I was playing the event where you face returning melee characters. I was aganst Falco who grabed a pitfall, then threw it at me, whihc I cought. He jumped near the edge of the stage, so he was just barely off. He still had a jump and his up-b left, I threw the pitfall at him, it hit the crest of his head, and he was spiked down!

I do not play with Items, so I did not try to test this with other items or anything, and becuase it was an event match I could not replay it :(. I do not know how efficiant this is, he was about somewhere between 50-70% and was pretty instantly.

Note before I end: I am not the most competeative person, so I am not 100% usre the difference between a spike and a meteor. I think it is based on the ability to recover, and since he didn't recover, i think its a spike....right?

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
This is what the pitfall does, I believe it's a characteristic of the item alone, giving it no horizontal knockback, only directly down vertical. I don't play with items, so this doesn't matter to me, but it's only this item if I'm not mistaken.

A spike is something that's not meteor cancellable, and a meteor is. A meteor cancel is when you jump out of the meteor and cancel the downwards momentum. You can jump out of a spike if the hitlag ends.

Correct me on any of that if I'm mistaken.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
I can only see a reference to it having a different ability if you hit someone with it as opposed to laying it as a drop when I look on the Dojo.

Ah, there it is. Item Encyclopedia (thing that lists all the items at once). "This throwing item has a meteor smash effect when you throw it at an airborne opponent." http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/item15.html

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
A spike is something that's not meteor cancellable, and a meteor is. A meteor cancel is when you jump out of the meteor and cancel the downwards momentum. You can jump out of a spike if the hitlag ends.

Correct me on any of that if I'm mistaken.[/QUOTE]

That is what I thought, thank you for clearing that up!

I can only see a reference to it having a different ability if you hit someone with it as opposed to laying it as a drop when I look on the Dojo.

Ah, there it is. Item Encyclopedia (thing that lists all the items at once). "This throwing item has a meteor smash effect when you throw it at an airborne opponent." http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/item15.html

Ok thanks, mods can lock this thread now

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
This is a known effect of this item, as people said already.

Is this true? I always thought spike/meteor were nothing but synonyms and had nothing different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom