• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It Is Upon Us: New Details On 20XX Tournament Edition Announced

Green Kirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
x22ROKSTARx22
3DS FC
3196-6042-1794
Will this have the debug menu from 20xx? all the features like view each frame frozen and stuff, basically all that can help you get better faster? and one more thing this stuff will make the memory card hold and iso of melee? or you put this sd card into a GC or wii with melee disk and it converts it to 20xx/tournamet?
As long as the memory car is in the system thats what it sounds like

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
As long as the memory car is in the system thats what it sounds like
Actually, all you need is a Gamecube/Wii, a copy of Melee NTSC v1.02, and a memory card with 20XXTE.

You load the game as normal with the memory card inserted, and then you can load up 20XXTE. You can then take out the memory card, and use that same memory card to load up 20XXTE on other Gamecube/Wii consoles.

This lets Tournament Organizers run 20XXTE on all of their setups with only one memory card.

rp17000

Smash Cadet
NNID
rp17000
This is okay, but PM isn't?

IE is a god and this is amazing, but there's gonna be hella problems if this shows up at stuff like APEX and Smashcon while PM continues being shut out.
20XX adds a few neat changes (but nothing really that wasn't already in the game), While PM adds new characters, music, stages, etc (some of which are from third party companies.) It has so much changed, it's practically its own game and not a mod.

Basically 20XX is a hacked save file, while PM is a massive fan game made from Brawl's assets and introduces third party content. Nintendo is legally-wary about its own music in Smash 4. So it's obvious why they could have a problem when PM starts adding in whatever they want.

Anyway, like you said, both are great mods, and while not being a big PM fan, I miss watching other play it.

Green Kirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
x22ROKSTARx22
3DS FC
3196-6042-1794
Actually, all you need is a Gamecube/Wii, a copy of Melee NTSC v1.02, and a memory card with 20XXTE.

You load the game as normal with the memory card inserted, and then you can load up 20XXTE. You can then take out the memory card, and use that same memory card to load up 20XXTE on other Gamecube/Wii consoles.

This lets Tournament Organizers run 20XXTE on all of their setups with only one memory card.
Ok so how do you know what version of melee you have?

And after you get it loaded with 20XXTE it will only stay active until you turn off or reset the system?

Swampy948

Smash Cadet
Wait... What would be the benefit of FD not changing its background?
The background changes shake the screen and can hurt peoples eyes, or can just change the odds of the game by making it hard to see. I lost sa few weeks ago cause the change messed up where I was looking.

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Can we install this ourselves? Or do we need to buy a preloaded Memory Card? If we do have to buy, I hope it's one of those huge ones with like 1000 blocks lol.

Kati

Smash Lord
Wait... What would be the benefit of FD not changing its background?
miniature lylat cruise effect when the bg changes from dark spacey black tones to the bright cloud filled skies. Some crts don't handle it too well.

It's a very minor point I've never actually heard of.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Ok so how do you know what version of melee you have?

And after you get it loaded with 20XXTE it will only stay active until you turn off or reset the system?
To check your game version, look at the innermost ring on the underside of the disc. The text DOL-GALE 0-02 indicates v1.02, whereas DOL-GALE 0-00 represents v1.00 (the wrong version).

And yeah, I'm pretty sure 20XXTE will only be active until you turn off/reset the system.

You can read more details about it here: http://www.20xx.me/

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Can we install this ourselves? Or do we need to buy a preloaded Memory Card? If we do have to buy, I hope it's one of those huge ones with like 1000 blocks lol.
You'll be able to install the hacked save fine though an app for the homebrew channel InternetExplorer is making.
I think IE's cards are only 256 blocks, but that's plenty even for replays. Replays only take up 8 blocks max iirc.

Add in Wireframes on select screen please.
Not going to happen. IE is not adding any excess codes from 20XX.

To check your game version, look at the innermost ring on the underside of the disc. The text DOL-GALE 0-02 indicates v1.02, whereas DOL-GALE 0-00 represents v1.00 (the wrong version).

And yeah, I'm pretty sure 20XXTE will only be active until you turn off/reset the system.

20XX TE will be active whenever you boot Melee with your memory card that has the hacked save file in the system.
I'm not sure IE changed the game ID (It's GALE01. I'm pretty sure it's impossible though a gecko code) so the hacked save file will replace your current Melee save if you already have one on the card.

Last edited:

Green Kirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
x22ROKSTARx22
3DS FC
3196-6042-1794

Ok mine says DOL-GALE-0-01 USA so im out of luck. Guess ill have to find a v1.02

Chef Besh

Smash Rookie
I'm exited for this. My biggest question is will frozen mode become a new standard for tournaments. Can't wait!

Remobit

Smash Cadet
Person #1: Psst... I have a secret...
Person #2: What?
Person #1: I'm taunting you.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Fascinating, even as someone who isn't into Melee anymore...

Unless Palutena gets worked in there along with buffs to my favorites.

But cool, nonetheless.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
If there ever comes a time where the barrel in DK 64 is removed and the stage becomes legal, I will be SO happy :)
The barrel isn't why it's banned. It's because characters like Puff and especially Peach can force timeouts with disgusting ease.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
Transformations excluding water are normally just camping until it goes back to normal. That or the stage instantly changes to Fox's favor.

Frozen mode is optional, but I'd use it.
Transformations are just cheesy.
Grass is even more balanced than Water. Only Fire and Rock are campy.

Jackarooman

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackarooman
3DS FC
4382-2173-7523
I don't understand how I could get this game onto an actual GC memory card. Would you have to put the mod in through your computer with some sort of magic GC memory card port? I'm just confused... if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to reply to this message.

Myougi

I don't understand how I could get this game onto an actual GC memory card. Would you have to put the mod in through your computer with some sort of magic GC memory card port? I'm just confused... if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to reply to this message.
There really isn't a 'game' going onto the memory card, moreso just lines of text and a program that loads them. What's going to happen is InternetExplorer (Dan Salvato) is going to write an app for the homebrew channel that writes to your memory card a special save file for Melee. When you play Melee with this special save file, the game is tricked to load IE's program that loads Gecko codes (Gecko codes are similar to Action replay codes - They change memory addresses in the game. You can unlock and change things this way). One the Gecko codes are loaded the game is rebooted with them and the game is revolutionized.

So no, you won't directly be putting a file onto your memory card (I'm sure it's possible with something like a WiiKey Fusion, but I'm not going to get into that). Unless you purchase a premade card from IE, you'll need to softmod your Wii, install the homebrew channel, download and install IE's app and then inject the modified save file onto your memory card.

Buuuuuuut it get's better. Since the modified save file is technically still a save file, (it's a .GCI if I recall correctly) the save can be copied to other memory cards natively though a GameCube or Wii's memory card management system (So basically if your friend has a memory card with the hacked save file, and you have to do is practically copy and paste it on the console - your console for copying it doesn't have to be modified AT ALL. As you can probably guess, since the end product is just a hacked save file it can be loaded on any modified or unmodified system.)

Hopefully that explanation helps.

Last edited:

Jackarooman

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackarooman
3DS FC
4382-2173-7523
There really isn't a 'game' going onto the memory card, moreso just lines of text and a program that loads them. What's going to happen is InternetExplorer (Dan Salvato) is going to write an app for the homebrew channel that writes to your memory card a special save file for Melee. When you play Melee with this special save file, the game is tricked to load IE's program that loads Gecko codes (Gecko codes are similar to Action replay codes - They change memory addresses in the game. You can unlock and change things this way). One the Gecko codes are loaded the game is rebooted with them and the game is revolutionized.

So no, you won't directly be putting a file onto your memory card (I'm sure it's possible with something like a WiiKey Fusion, but I'm not going to get into that). Unless you purchase a premade card from IE, you'll need to softmod your Wii, install the homebrew channel, download and install IE's app and then inject the modified save file onto your memory card.

Buuuuuuut it get's better. Since the modified save file is technically still a save file, (it's a .GCI if I recall correctly) the save can be copied to other memory cards natively though a GameCube or Wii's memory card management system (So basically if your friend has a memory card with the hacked save file, and you have to do is practically copy and paste it on the console - your console for copying it doesn't have to be modified AT ALL. As you can probably guess, since the end product is just a hacked save file it can be loaded on any modified or unmodified system.)

Hopefully that explanation helps.
That really does help, thanks. I just think it'll be a little annoying to mod my wii (since I've never done it before.) is it easy? Have you done it before?

Myougi

That really does help, thanks. I just think it'll be a little annoying to mod my wii (since I've never done it before.) is it easy? Have you done it before?
I've modded a few wiis, and it extremely easy. The simplest method is to use the SmashStack method to install the Homebrew channel.
It literally takes less than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Smash_Stack
Lemme know if you need any help with it, but it should be pretty straight forward. :3

Jackarooman

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackarooman
3DS FC
4382-2173-7523
I've modded a few wiis, and it extremely easy. The simplest method is to use the SmashStack method to install the Homebrew channel.
Lemme know if you need any help with it, but it should be pretty straight forward. :3
Thanks :3 Do I need to keep my old stages, or is the tutorial just saying "Move any existing custom stages on Brawl to your SD card" because it wants me to get rid of them?
EDIT: Disregard ALLLLLL of this, I got the Homebrew channel to boot and everything seems to be working fine.
THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

Last edited:

Jackarooman

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackarooman
3DS FC
4382-2173-7523
This will be available for dolphin emulator aswell, right?

Jackarooman

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackarooman
3DS FC
4382-2173-7523
pretty sure this will be the last message I send you. :D Do I just need the Homebrew channel, or should I install BootMii aswell???

Myougi

This will be available for dolphin emulator aswell, right?
Sort of. You can play it though dolphin but you'll need to need to set up a virtual memory card and inject the hacked gct into it.

pretty sure this will be the last message I send you. :D Do I just need the Homebrew channel, or should I install BootMii aswell???
BootMii isn't necessary.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Two questions:

I've seen a bit of mention of this already, but: how can this possibly happen without nintendo trying to interfere via something like a cease and desist? If they haven't already done something about it, I guess we're already in the clear, but does anyone else have any concerns that nintendo may try to shut down something like this?

Secondly, I have a 1.00 disc so I can't use it with my disc. Is there anyway we can just get the files to compile an iso with? Is that part of the free download upon release?

Last edited:

S-Trigger

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this has been answered already but is it possible to play this without v1.2 of melee, it doesn't matter if ur playin on wii/gc hacked or otherwise...is the melee v1.2 disc absolutely required to play ?

Myougi

Sorry if this has been answered already but is it possible to play this without v1.2 of melee, it doesn't matter if ur playin on wii/gc hacked or otherwise...is the melee v1.2 disc absolutely required to play ?
I'm fairly certain Melee 1.2 is required. Different codes are in different formats, so a 1.0 disk for example would not be compatible.

Two questions:

I've seen a bit of mention of this already, but: how can this possibly happen without nintendo trying to interfere via something like a cease and desist? If they haven't already done something about it, I guess we're already in the clear, but does anyone else have any concerns that nintendo may try to shut down something like this?

Secondly, I have a 1.00 disc so I can't use it with my disc. Is there anyway we can just get the files to compile an iso with? Is that part of the free download upon release?
Nintendo won't send IE a C&D on this. Unlike we might hope, Nintendo simply doesn't care about Melee anymore. The game is 12 years old and they don't profit off the sales of the game anymore. Nintendo only profits off our community with Smash 4. I'm sure after the backlash to them at EVO 2013 (The stream was almost cancelled) Nintendo wants to keep a good standing with the Smash community so they can get us to buy their stuff.

The files are only available for 1.2 I believe. They will be open source and downloadable when 20XXTE is released.

Top Bottom