• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Issues with Sheik

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
So we're supposed to do very well against shiek but for the life of me I can't seem to do well against a Sheik player who's main strategy is full hop-> fair/bair and walking F-tilts. Once I get hit I just start to fall apart and can't regain stage control. I've tried to meet him air to air but that just trades and that normally doesn't work in my favor and when I try to punish the landing I get jabbed or Ftilted and I can't try to pressure shield because rarely am I approaching as Im trying to hit him out of his full hops ot he camps top platform. Do I need better spacing or is there something I could be doing to beat his fairs and bairs?

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Sheik is my best matchup (apparently) since most of my PR wins have come from sheiks. However, the matchup still feels very tough for me, I think its cause it takes the most mental fortitude. Here's my take on the matchup: stay grounded. When she full hops, she'll come down with a bair or fair, and if you try to challenge this, it makes it easy af for her to hit you. She wants to approach you diagonally. Your best opportunities to hit her are when you're both at equal vertical height, so you can approach her horizontally with a bair. Another advantageous position is below her. Up-air is super good, and seems underused by lower level puffs imo. If youre below sheik (w/o platform) her only options are dair or nair; dair sucks cause it lasts forever and is easy to punish, nair should be a free up-air for you, which will lead to more up-airs or rest. If you're below sheik while shes on a platform, its the same thing.. usually sheiks will just run off the platform and bair/fair, or drop down bair/fair, and you can up-air both of thses if you're positioned correctly. Generally when you're fighting sheik in neutral, you wanna mostly space bairs, and then cross-up the sheik with a nair every once in awhile.. usually you wanna land behind her, but if theyre scrub, you can land in front, stay crouched, and they will try to grab, which is free rest. Up-tilt is super ****ing good vs sheik, it's your best rest setup. Up-tilt can poke her shield if her feet are showing, or you can try to guess a jump oos. Nair->Auto-cancel->uptilt is good against sheiks who werent expecting to get hit by the nair, or try to act out of being hit immediately. Pound also leads to rests often, so if you are falling in the air and she is to without a double jump, sometimes you can sneak it in there. When a sheik needles from air, wd under and sometimes you can get an f-smash when she lands. Edguarding sheik is easy hard. When you knock her off, the first thing you try to read is her double jump, which if you hit should be the stock. If not the double jump, try to read her up-b (before she's invincible). If not either of these, grab ledge. From here you can react, if shes far off, you can hold ledge, if shes kinda close you can wait and rest her on stage, if shes super close, you might have to avoid her up-b hitbox, which is the only hard part imo. Regular getup from ledge is good for edgeguarding, especially when they go high. Final thought- usually you should back or forward throw, whichever knocks them off stage, but if youre in the middle you can down-throw. If the sheik DIs the down-throw IN, thats a free rest, but most will DI out, which on most stage lands them on a platform. Apparently its possible to react to any of their getup options and get a rest be positioning below their tech in place, and then quickly reacting to the techrolls.
Good luck! Hope some of this helped.

flmo

Smash Rookie
Duck a lot. Aside from the CC/ducking grab to rest shenanigans, a lot of her aerial approaches end up going straight over your head, putting you guys back to back. This results in an easy bair to some sort of follow up.

It sounds like the other problem you're having is that the Sheik is swinging and you're getting hit by it (correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case, let her throw out a hitbox and then go in and attack her. Her moves are all real quick but they have enough end lag that you can punish them if she throws them out carelessly. With Puff's good aerial mobility, it's real easy to weave in, bait out a move, weave out before you get hit, and punish.

Positioning wise, just stay on the ground, like Mtank mentioned, preferably with your back to her and crouching while in neutral. Seems gimmicky and lame, but a lot of Sheiks have a lot of trouble with this and they'll be forced to approach. Don't think you're immune to grabs while crouching though. They can still boost grab you after 10 frames. A lot of low level Sheiks aren't aware of that, though, and like to just run in and dash attack or grab, and that's a free rest. If they're at all decent, though, they'll pick up on this pretty quick, so don't rely on this tactic to win

Last edited:
Top Bottom