• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I have to say if Sakurai was telling the truth about doing fan service from here on out something smells really fishy. There's no way he'd pick Dixie over King K Rool if he was looking to what the fans wanted. They clearly support K Rool over Dixie. (even in Japan)

On the other hand it could be some bizarre way of announcing the ballot winners. (It could happen)

I would say though that I don't think this really affects Isaac, I mean if you're using King K Rool to say that Isaac certainly isn't getting in then you'd have to discount every other character since King K Rool probably won the ballot.
My point is, if a character like K. Rool, who odds are ranked extremely high, if not outright won the Smash Ballot, is a Mii Fighter costume, that could set a bad precedent for other Mii costumes. The best case scenario right now for the ballot is that this is just an elaborate troll move, there will be a Direct on Friday, and it'll be revealed that K. Rool is playable and has a combination design, so they created Mii Fighter costumes of his different personas.

Spatman

Smash Ace
If mii outfit of K Rool hurts his possibilties (I'm not sure of this, though), so all other characters on top ten of the ballot gain some possibilities (Isaac too)

WolfS2

Smash Rookie
This could be a sign of bad things to come, though. A Mii Fighter costume of King K. Rool doesn't hurt his chances as bad as other humanoid characters. While they might look similar, if you place the king and the costume side by side, you can tell the difference easily. The readability for other characters that are humanoid is a bit different. Link is such an iconic character that he can have a costume and still people can tell who is who. Isaac? As much as I support him, he is not as mainstream as many other Nintendo characters. A Mii Costume of Isaac, or any other humanoid (such as Wonder Red) will greatly lower their chances of joining the Smash.

Then again, this is Sakurai. We can only speculate, but until they announce that there is no more DLC planned, all we can do is stay tuned. Tomorrow is going to be tough.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This could be a sign of bad things to come, though. A Mii Fighter costume of King K. Rool doesn't hurt his chances as bad as other humanoid characters. While they might look similar, if you place the king and the costume side by side, you can tell the difference easily. The readability for other characters that are humanoid is a bit different. Link is such an iconic character that he can have a costume and still people can tell who is who. Isaac? As much as I support him, he is not as mainstream as many other Nintendo characters. A Mii Costume of Isaac, or any other humanoid (such as Wonder Red) will greatly lower their chances of joining the Smash.

Then again, this is Sakurai. We can only speculate, but until they announce that there is no more DLC planned, all we can do is stay tuned. Tomorrow is going to be tough.
The problem is... there really aren't many viable candidates left. If Mii costumes do deconfirm characters, that outright denies two of the biggest ones: K. Rool and Inklings. There's still the likes of Isaac, but if K. Rool and Inklings won't get it, why would suddenly Isaac get in instead?

Logically, in all honesty, the most likely scenario is that K. Rool's costume is just a troll move. There's no reason for K. Rool to have a Mii costume, at least the other's make sense for being more recent, and for the Virtua Fighter/Tekken to go alongside Ryu's addition as representations of major fighting games.

I just don't know what's going on right now.

WolfS2

Smash Rookie
The problem is... there really aren't many viable candidates left. If Mii costumes do deconfirm characters, that outright denies two of the biggest ones: K. Rool and Inklings. There's still the likes of Isaac, but if K. Rool and Inklings won't get it, why would suddenly Isaac get in instead?

Logically, in all honesty, the most likely scenario is that K. Rool's costume is just a troll move. There's no reason for K. Rool to have a Mii costume, at least the other's make sense for being more recent, and for the Virtua Fighter/Tekken to go alongside Ryu's addition as representations of major fighting games.

I just don't know what's going on right now.
That's what worries me as well. K. Rool is known for the fake-outs, as that is how his first boss fight went. We can't see the actual results, but from early polls on multiple sites, K. Rool has topped nearly all of them. Isaac has been right behind him for all the others, with other choices being Inklings and third-party characters. It does not seem right that Nintendo would go out of their way to try to get other third party characters, let alone indie characters, instead of Nintendo characters that seem like even more popular choices. This is, of course, assuming that they decide on another third party.

I will say I do trust Sakurai on this. It does not make sense that a K. Rool costume, of all characters, would appear out of the blue like this. Something is coming, but until it does, all we can do is speculate. I am cautiously optimistic, but this is the most uncertain I have been about Isaac's inclusion in Smash in a long time.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
There's a Direct coming for sure. I still think they had 2 characters (one of whom lives in space, begins with w and doesn't rhym with anything) in the works who did well, but nowhere near as well as K.Rool. As a way to fill in the moment they'll do the 2 characters trailers, and then announce K.Rool won the ballot and will be the star of the next update, but in the mean-time here's a Mii costume!

The question I haven't figured out is who's the other DLC character they wee working on...

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
For anyone not watching SGDQ, the background music on the current between-game setup is the Colosso theme. So many fond memories!

http://www-origin.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

EDIT: Just changed to Venus Lighthouse. Oh gosh, the nostalgia!
EDIT 2: Golden Sun music over. :(
I kinda fanboyed a lot when I heard each of them. Then preceded to post "Isaac4Smash" in the chat several times :p

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I kinda fanboyed a lot when I heard each of them. Then preceded to post "Isaac4Smash" in the chat several times :p
Speaking of which, I don't think it would hurt to get a few more votes for Isaac in at this point.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I'm of the mind that if Isaac is just a Mii Costume, it's over. There's not going to be an Isaac proper. Which would be very sad. And dumb. Same with a King K. Rool Mii Costume. K. Rool and Isaac are routinely on top of polls and unofficial, impromptu ballots. Here at Smashboards and beyond. Not Banjo and Kazooie, not Rayman, not Wolf, not Snake, not Krystal, none of them. Isaac and K. Rool routinely smoke all of them.

To just release Mii Costumes of them would be a slap in the face to the fans. But that's probably what it is. Wolf and Snake will get the roster slots (because clones aren't as evil as originally expressed and feuds with other developers don't matter) while actually popular and unique characters can just have a place as a stupid Mii costume.

That sounds about right, I think.

Sigh. I'm sorry.

Edit:
http://nintendoeverything.com/huge-...t-includes-new-stages-and-more/#disqus_thread

Hooo boy... Was that all the Ballot was? Just a chance to get your character in Smash as a Mii costume?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't think K Rool being a Mii costume necessarily hurts Isaac's chances at all. Aren't there Samus, Link, and Meta Knight costumes as well?

And even if we assume the costume is Sakurai's way of saying, "Sorry, he's not gonna happen, have a consolation prize", then there could be a practical reason behind it that wouldn't apply to Isaac. For instance, maybe he looks at K Rool and considers him too big, same as Ridley. I know in the DKC games and in DK 64, he's absolutely enormous.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I don't think K Rool being a Mii costume necessarily hurts Isaac's chances at all. Aren't there Samus, Link, and Meta Knight costumes as well?
Those costumes were all lifted directly from StreetPass Plaza, they weren't created for Smash.

I still don't have a solid conclusion on what the costume means, though.

And even if we assume the costume is Sakurai's way of saying, "Sorry, he's not gonna happen, have a consolation prize", then there could be a practical reason behind it that wouldn't apply to Isaac. For instance, maybe he looks at K Rool and considers him too big, same as Ridley. I know in the DKC games and in DK 64, he's absolutely enormous.
Agreed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The problem with Ridley wasn't his size, its that his body structure would look very weird scaled down. They'd have to make serious adjustments to it. Plus, K. Rool regularly appears the same size as DK in many games, so its definitely not the same thing at all.

Those costumes were all lifted directly from StreetPass Plaza, they weren't created for Smash.

I still don't have a solid conclusion on what the costume means, though.

Agreed.
Not the Link one. The Link costume was added as DLC. Its also the only DLC costume added where the same character its based on is already in the game.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

By this bat**** logic, Bowser should be removed from Smash Bros. In Super Mario Galaxy 1,2, Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Mario Party 10, etc he's enormous. Ridley's problem is body structure not size.

Shin F.

Smash Master
The problem with Ridley wasn't his size, its that his body structure would look very weird scaled down. They'd have to make serious adjustments to it. Plus, K. Rool regularly appears the same size as DK in many games, so its definitely not the same thing at all.

Not the Link one. The Link costume was added as DLC. Its also the only DLC costume added where the same character its based on is already in the game.
By this bat**** logic, Bowser should be removed from Smash Bros. In Super Mario Galaxy 1,2, Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Mario Party 10, etc he's enormous. Ridley's problem is body structure not size.
The old Ridley, maybe. Other M Ridley, on the other hand, looks perfectly fine scaled down. And IIRC, Sakurai has said that he could have done it, but he didn't feel it would be true to his character.

In any case, can we please not argue about this? It was just an example. Main point is, if he's not playable, there could be a reason behind it that doesn't apply to other popular characters, whether that reason is valid or not.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I'm leaning on the side of there is some practical reason that we'll never know that K Rool won't get in for, BUT since he places so high consistently they wanted to do something for the fans of him. It's a slap in the face for sure, but it's better than nothing.

I don't think it hurts isaacs chances (in fact it probably helps) because it effectively gets rid of the one character who is consistently higher than him. Why would they do costume DLC if they're just going to release him? It would make no sense and just feel like EA took over nintendo with all the jank.

The argument that there are other characters with costumes in the game doesn't work for me because those characters (link, megaman, samus) were already in the game. I felt if they wanted k rool in and the costume it would have been at the same time. "Consolation prize" is a good way to describe it, I think.

This definitely helps Isaac and makes me MORE optimistic about his inclusion. The only other real threat that is a newcomer is the inklings, but they aren't wanted more. Only time will tell. We just need to wait for the direct!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm leaning on the side of there is some practical reason that we'll never know that K Rool won't get in for, BUT since he places so high consistently they wanted to do something for the fans of him. It's a slap in the face for sure, but it's better than nothing.

I don't think it hurts isaacs chances (in fact it probably helps) because it effectively gets rid of the one character who is consistently higher than him. Why would they do costume DLC if they're just going to release him? It would make no sense and just feel like EA took over nintendo with all the jank.

The argument that there are other characters with costumes in the game doesn't work for me because those characters (link, megaman, samus) were already in the game. I felt if they wanted k rool in and the costume it would have been at the same time. "Consolation prize" is a good way to describe it, I think.

This definitely helps Isaac and makes me MORE optimistic about his inclusion. The only other real threat that is a newcomer is the inklings, but they aren't wanted more. Only time will tell. We just need to wait for the direct!
If the costume deconfirms K. Rool, then wouldn't that apply to Inklings as well?

Regardless, while I agree with your conclusion that this would boost Isaac's chances if this does mean K. Rool is out, I don't think this eliminates K. Rool.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

This isn't better than nothing. Literal nothing for K Rool in Smash is better than this. Also this doesn't deconfirm K Rool. Isaac's chances do get a little hurt since why would they make a costume of King K. Rool (one of the most if not the most requested newcomer) and make Isaac (from a significantly less important series and is less requested and less known) a playable character.

Bro, don't make assumptions about if people want Inkling or not anymore. I want them, and everyone in the Inkling support thread wants them.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
This isn't better than nothing. Literal nothing for K Rool in Smash is better than this. Also this doesn't deconfirm K Rool. Isaac's chances do get a little hurt since why would they make a costume of King K. Rool (one of the most if not the most requested newcomer) and make Isaac (from a significantly less important series and is less requested and less known) a playable character.

Bro, don't make assumptions about if people want Inkling or not anymore. I want them, and everyone in the Inkling support thread wants them.
I get that it sucks for k rool but there is literally no reason to charge for a DLC costume and then charge for a character. I would be pissed. It would feel like Destiny all over again.

Also I never said inklings weren't wanted. Just that they're not wanted by as many people as Isaac. Any unofficial poll I've seen ha put Isaac and k rool at the top with inklings somewhere in top 10, regardless of sample size. I wasn't attacking the inkling people, just stating that I feel they're trying only threat to Isaac at this point, but they're not as high in unofficial polls.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The logical reason I disagree with this is because there's simply no reason for K. Rool to be a Mii costume and not playable. I outright dismissed the notion of a K. Rool costume because, as far as I was concerned, there's no way they'd do it. He'd either be playable or he'd get nothing. He hasn't had any importance since 2008. There's no logical reason to make him a costume.

On the other hand, it could be explained if his final design is a hybrid design of his various outfit, and they wanted his personas to be represented as individual Mii costumes instead. That I can see as a logical argument. I see literally no logical reason for K. Rool to merely be a costume, and if he is, I don't think it helps Isaac at all because Isaac and K. Rool were in almost literally the exact same situation, except Isaac was LESS requested.

Shin F.

Smash Master
And I quote

"The only other real threat that is a newcomer is the inklings, but they aren't wanted more."

-EnhaloTricks, 2015
That's true, though. Looking at all the poll results, they aren't wanted more than Isaac overall.
I don't think it helps Isaac at all because Isaac and K. Rool were in almost literally the exact same situation, except Isaac was LESS requested.
Let's not forget that popularity isn't everything to Sakurai. It's important, but not the end-all be-all. If he sees the top five characters and he thinks that the #1 character would be less fun to play as than the other four, he'd pick the other four.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
And I quote

"The only other real threat that is a newcomer is the inklings, but they aren't wanted more."

-EnhaloTricks, 2015
Yes, I know what I said. "Wanted more" means something completely different than "wanted anymore". "Wanted more" is a comparison statement meaning I'm comparing inklings to Isaac. "Wanted anymore" is not, and in fact wasn't said by anyone but you, who took offense to something that didn't exist.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yes, I know what I said. "Wanted more" means something completely different than "wanted anymore". "Wanted more" is a comparison statement meaning I'm comparing inklings to Isaac. "Wanted anymore" is not, and in fact wasn't said by anyone but you, who took offense to something that didn't exist.
lol, sorry. Guess I'm just stressed out and read it wrong. Inklings are still up there though.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
If K. Rool is out, odds are Isaac will just be a costume (or not in at all). K. Rool was far more highly requested than Isaac, though based on the polls Isaac was still very high for Nintendo... I literally cannot think of anyone except those two who could possibly be chosen through the ballot.
Inklings.

Spatman

Smash Ace
the ballot will give us at least 3 characters, probably also 5.
So there are slots for (almost) all

Coaltergeist

Smash Apprentice
Inklings.
But keep in mind we haven't had a confirmation as to whether or not we're getting an Isaac skin. More than can be said for Rool, un/fortunately. With this news I think we can all agree Isaac has an even better chance than he's ever had.

EDIT: its been a while since I've posted, so I'm not entirely sure about what the vibe is right now

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I disagree with those of you saying K. Rool still has a chance. To me, the mii costumes are a way of Sakurai putting characters in the game that he doesn't have the time/creativity yet to put in as fully fleshed characters (for SSB4). Inklings, Chrom, Isabelle, the tekken characters, etc are all there to appease fans. If Isaac is a mii costume eventually then I agree, his chances are also done.

I will be devastated if the only point of the ballot was to put in mii outfits and not fully-fleshed out characters. At least Isaac fans have PM to look forward to...

EDIT: To those saying this is a troll from Sakurai, you have to keep in mind that (a) none of the DLC costumes have a mii costume that released with it, and (b) they announced Chrom along with K. Rool, so if this is meant to be teasing K. Rool as playable it is equally teasing Chrom, which is highly unlikely.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Imho, I think K. Rool still has a chance, after all, making the probably nº1 voted character in the ballot a Mii costume instead of a playable character? After all, if K. Rool is indeed the most voted character, he would probably be the one that would also sell more.

As for Isaac, I still think he's probably one of the most likely characters at this point, also, ironically, they revealed K. Rool Mii costume one day after @ Your Hero Your Hero made the Isaac Mii costume.

Here, have your daily comic. (Sorry if it's repost)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I disagree with those of you saying K. Rool still has a chance. To me, the mii costumes are a way of Sakurai putting characters in the game that he doesn't have the time/creativity yet to put in as fully fleshed characters (for SSB4). Inklings, Chrom, Isabelle, the tekken characters, etc are all there to appease fans. If Isaac is a mii costume eventually then I agree, his chances are also done.

I will be devastated if the only point of the ballot was to put in mii outfits and not fully-fleshed out characters. At least Isaac fans have PM to look forward to...

EDIT: To those saying this is a troll from Sakurai, you have to keep in mind that (a) none of the DLC costumes have a mii costume that released with it, and (b) they announced Chrom along with K. Rool, so if this is meant to be teasing K. Rool as playable it is equally teasing Chrom, which is highly unlikely.
Sorry, that's faulty logic. Being revealed at the same time isn't the problem. Chrom is perfectly fine in context. The problem with Rool is how incredibly random it is considering Nintendo has said nothing regarding him since 2008, and unlike Chrom he doesn't have any sort of role in Smash barring a trophy (even K.K. Slider has a minor one as a stage element).

I don't know what the hell is going on, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
Since everyone is talking K.Rool, I guess I should contribute my two cents. A better way to approach the whole K.Rool situation would be to wait on judgement until after Friday's patch. The way I see it , two things can happen on Friday which will affect K.Rool's chances:

1. K. Rool is announced alongside the costume's release, thus making the whole costume release a classic "Sakurai Troll." This would pretty much be the best case scenario for K.Rool fans, as I cannot see Nintendo releasing a costume then releasing the character months later.

Or

2. K.Rool is not announced alongside the costume's release. This would be the worst case scenario for K.Rool Fans as this would support the argument that costumes will not be made into characters.

In my opinion, whatever Nintendo does on Patch Day will determine the fate of K.Rool. I would love to be surprised and see a new character, but it doesn't really apply to us Isaac fans. However, it kinda makes it a bit better for us if K.Rool is gone I guess.

We can only wait and see.

Edit: Might be a good idea to avoid going to the K.Rool thread though, they seem to be very upset.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure If I should sad or happy Isaac didn't get a costume with k rool, probably it's better to stay this way the butthurt by people who like to assume things would've been too much.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not sure If I should sad or happy Isaac didn't get a costume with k rool, probably it's better to stay this way the butthurt by people who like to assume things would've been too much.
You do realize they haven't announced al the costumes yet, right?

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Imho, I think K. Rool still has a chance, after all, making the probably nº1 voted character in the ballot a Mii costume instead of a playable character? After all, if K. Rool is indeed the most voted character, he would probably be the one that would also sell more.

As for Isaac, I still think he's probably one of the most likely characters at this point, also, ironically, they revealed K. Rool Mii costume one day after @ Your Hero Your Hero made the Isaac Mii costume.
If I had known this would happen today I definitely would have waited until today to post it haha. I just hope Isaac doesn't get shafted as a mii costume.

Sorry, that's faulty logic. Being revealed at the same time isn't the problem. Chrom is perfectly fine in context. The problem with Rool is how incredibly random it is considering Nintendo has said nothing regarding him since 2008, and unlike Chrom he doesn't have any sort of role in Smash barring a trophy (even K.K. Slider has a minor one as a stage element).

I don't know what the hell is going on, but you're comparing apples to oranges.
My logic is faulty in what way? K. Rool was added as a costume because of his popularity, just like the Inklings and every other character costume. K. Rool's role (or lack of) in Smash has nothing to do with his inclusion as a mii fighter costume.

Top Bottom