• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Wavedashing Easier with Short Hopping as opposed to Full Hopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
Hello Smashers,

I just have a quick question, as the title states: Is wavedashing easier with short hopping as opposed to full hopping?

I was playing around with wavedashing, trying to do it better on different characters, and right now I feel that short hopping in a wavedash makes it easier. Is there any sort of frame data to support this? Is it just easier on the hands? Am I completely wrong?

Thanks, guys

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
It doesn't matter if you short hop or full hop to do a wavedash as you're cutting off the jumping the first frame you're airborne anyways.

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter. When I wavedash I don't think about trying to get a SH out of the jump. (Then again I use X for all jumping, JC grab, etc and Y exclusively for wavedashing)

A more important factor for wavedashing is which frame the character is considered airborne. For example, Falco is airborne on frame 6 and I'm horrible at wavedashing with him, but Sheik is airborne on frame 4 and the timing for how I do the inputs works a lot more consistently with Sheik.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
You can do a wavedash either way, but you get punished more for missing a wavedash if you fullhop. One of the worst feelings in melee is missing a fullhop wavedash with luigi. You feel like a fish out of water. One moment you're sliding around running circles around your opponent, and the next you have practically no control and hope you don't get juggled for the next 8 mins.

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
danny135 said:
Falco's wavedash still feels weird, and I've been playing him for a long time. :p
Yeah I guess if wavedashing with Falco doesn't work well/feel right then putting some effort into getting used to the speed/slowness of his wavedash would be helpful.

I switched from Falco to Sheik for multiple reasons, Sheik's wavedash being more accommodating to me wasn't a deciding factor but it definitely was a cherry on top.

danny135

Smash Apprentice
falco 4 lyf. if you think falco's is, weird try some slower characters. you have to wait ten hours before air dodging

bdubz

Smash Rookie
NNID
itsbdubs
I'm pretty new to Melee and Smash in general, but recently I've been having more success wavedashing when I do short hops as opposed to a full hop.

OldManTurner

Smash Cadet
Yeah i switched mains from Link to Falco, and wavedashing with Falco for the first little while felt so weird. but as they said up there, less punishment for a missed wavedash if you short hop.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you are wrong.

also guys, this is the melee WORKSHOP. you know, here we MOD melee. not talk about how to wavedash. stop bumping this and go to melee social thread

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
you are wrong.

also guys, this is the melee WORKSHOP. you know, here we MOD melee. not talk about how to wavedash. stop bumping this and go to melee social thread
Did I really put this in the wrong section? ****...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom