• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this the Final Smash?

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman
I've seen it mentioned a few times on these forums that Brawl was the final Super Smash Bros game. That there would be no 4th Smash sequel. Ever.

Is this true? And, if so, how do we know? :confused:

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
I am very, VERY sorry to anyone who has thought it, but you are an idiot if you think this is the last Smash game. I'm not going to even bother explaining. Use your thought processors people!

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
How do you know? Live another 6 years and see if they make one? Durr. It's not like anything would be confirmed or denied this early, its kind of common sense...

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Considering how young Sakurai is (compared to say, Miyamoto, Iwata, Will Wright, most other video game 'biggies'... He's like, in his 30's, right? Made Kirby when he was 19?), I doubt that this'll even be the last Smash game he directs. He obviously cares a great deal about Smash if he canceled all previous engagements he had just to direct Brawl and stop it being nothing more than a Melee 1.5, which shows to me he'd want to prevent there being a bad Smash game as long as possible.

mariozangetsu

Smash Rookie
It can't be the last smash game. Unless nintendo hits a dead end at the wii, then there may be a grave reserved for the future of smash. Other options could be a possible port to the Nintendo ds (NDS). Think about it Super Smash Bros. on a portable device and still withholds the same game as it home based counterpart is truly amazing. But don't count on that anytime soon.:psycho:

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Even is Sakurai is not working on a next one...

The games are far too successful for nintendo to just discontinue...

Shuma

Smash Hero
Isn't Sakurai "officially" retired? It's the last Smash(probably) done by Sakurai, but the last smash? hell no.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
If they lost Smash it wouldnt be that big a dent, but it is one of Nintendo's most successful franchises.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Actually... brawl wasn't even supposed to have been made. A blog post on the previous dojo (by Sakurai himself of course) said that he was asked at E3 (in like 04-05) when the next smash bros was being released when in fact he hadn't planned on making a new one.

If he sticks to that mindset, then I think that Sakurai will be putting all of his last efforts into this game to make it the best, final smash bros game... not even smash bros game, VIDEO GAME of all time

InsaneMonkey

Smash Cadet
It could be. Sakurai had to be convinced to make Melee, and even more pushed in order to make Brawl.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
Wasn't Windwaker supposed to be the last Zelda game? We could expect a sequel to brawl, but I'm honestly more focused on just getting brawl here.

krabbymcnabby

Smash Cadet
Alot of people say this about prime 3 too. Small chance but a probable no as it brings in too much money. It's not like they are going to stop making Mario games or pokémon games because they bring in too much money

gaph2000

Smash Cadet
Didn't Sakurai say he didn't want to make another Smash game? And didn't Nintendo say in response, that if Sakurai wasn't directng it, they wouldn't make another one?

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
It's not the last Smash, but it might be the last actually good Smash.
I am thinking the same way. I'm hoping that they won't just throw some characters and moves together just to make money. I'd rather they put a lot of work into upcoming titles, just like they did for Brawl.

I really don't care if the others are crap, though; Brawl will keep me satisfied for a while. A long while.

Lucas_User

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure they will have another one sooner or later.
It would probably be like an anniversary special or something.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
People think that any new smash would be different. Not that different is always bad. It would probably not go as high as others did though.

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
It's like saying there won't be any more Mario Kart or Mario Party xD but even worse.

Linkeatspie

Smash Apprentice
This is absolutely, definitely, without a doubt not the last Smash Bros. Game. It sells too well. Simple economics. Unless Nintendo fails as a company (which I don't see happening anytime soon) then there will be another Smash, with even more characters, stages, and features.

Though it may or may not be headed by Masahiro Sakurai.

Wasn't Windwaker supposed to be the last Zelda game? We could expect a sequel to brawl, but I'm honestly more focused on just getting brawl here.
It was never going to be the last Zelda game; in fact, they stated they were working on 'Wind Waker 2' almost immediately after it was released (which turned out to be Twilight Princess, of course).

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
When I saw the thread title, I thought of Zelda's light arrows, but anyway...

It wouldn't really matter if this was the last Smash or not. Don't we still play 64 on our old TVs? When you're playing a Super Smash 64 match with a friend, don't you sometimes say, "Oh, remember when ______ happened?" Don't we go play Melee with friends? What about tournaments? Don't we love the everlasting Smash competition? Any game I've played for more than 6 years is going to last quite a while. I expect the same thing with Brawl. It will probably be an undying game like Melee and Super Smash 64.

I say this is the last Super Smash Bros, but no matter how old it is, Smash will live on.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Smash Bros is way too high of a selling series, there's no way they'd just decide to stop it.
^^ But when has Nintendo ever been strictly after the money in the easiest way possible? The wiimote had such ridicule, and now look. Wii's are STILL next to impossible to find. Nintendo's a respectable company in that they care way more about the consumer then their own selves. And unless Sakurai could direct the next one (which isn't a "no way" right away because opinions change) I don't see another game in the Smash series.

But at any rate, I highly doubt there will another game until whatever console comes after the Wii, and I think the Wii's going to be out for a long time.

Melee lasted us 6-7 years, Brawl could just as easily last that long.

SaxyPlayah

Smash Apprentice
I say unless if they come out with another videogame console, this'll be the last smash that we will see....

Actually, the Smash saga was to end after its melee release on the gamecube, but i believe with the introduction to the wii and after lots of pressure on sakurai, the construction of brawl again....so yeah, i say this is the last brawl, unless if they make a console that can top the wii....like, virtual reality stuff,, lol

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I can see it being possible... but NO! They can't!

- Nintendo's 8th gen console should have better visuals than all last gen consoles (i.e. better than PS3 and 360) therefore Smash Bros would look and feel simply incredible to play
- The online modes in Brawl seem pretty crap, and Nintendo's WiFi system is pretty crap, there's a good chance it will have improved a lot on their 8th gen console
- Since N64, there has been a Smash Bros "update" every gen, it'd make sense for there to be another.
- Smash Bros always sells by absolute bucketloads, they'd be mad not to continue the series
- Also next gen storage will make for downloadable content, more customizability, patches (if Nintendo want to nerf/buff an unfair character) of course if Brawl was on PS3 or 360 we'd already have these, and better online, and better visuals.

Only problem I can see is with 3rd party characters, but I think it may only increase by 1 or 2 character slots. Smash Bros is the kind of game where Nintendo says "thanks for being loyal, here's a gift for you" and it'll last us until next gen. I'm sure Sakurai cares about Smash, and would be glad to make another with better specs. It'd be great, and would be arguably a bigger overall update than Melee -> Brawl, especially with much more online options.

Trophyhunter

Smash Apprentice
Obviously somewhere where, you havn't been
Sakurai and Nintendo are not like Microsoft they care about consumers needs. This Microsoft

Employee: Umm Bill gates the New PS3 is topping the 360's sales
Bill Gates: Buy Em out boys more money in my wallet!

Nintendo employee: Microsoft just bought Sony.
Sakurai: Well then time to top them with Virtual reality.

XACE-K

Smash Master
As long as there are deserving characters that haven't been playable in any Smash, the series should continue.

peachy!

super princess
let's just hope it doesn't end up like mario party...
LOL!!!!!!!!!! Haha yeah, but if Mario Party made it til it's 8th game, why not having another Smash. But this time, Sakurai should announce it when the game is a little far in development so we don't suffer 3 years waiting for it to come out!

Top Bottom