• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is This Sakurai's Last Smash Game?

Do you think this is Sakurai's last game?

• Total voters

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
With or without Sakurai, Smash Bros is slowly getting to the point where there's no more good characters to be had. Not without counting 3rd party characters, anyway, and we all know they won't let Smash be about that.

So either they revamp the Smash concept, or they ruin it by adding too many joke characters not worthy of fighting along.

Weavel

Smash Ace
There is also going to be more super smash bros, it's way to iconic to the nintendo fanbase for them to forsake forever. If it isn't sakurai it will be another.

Weavel

Smash Ace
There is always going to be more super smash bros, it's way to iconic to the nintendo fanbase for them to forsake forever. If it isn't sakurai it will be another.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
With or without Sakurai, Smash Bros is slowly getting to the point where there's no more good characters to be had. Not without counting 3rd party characters, anyway, and we all know they won't let Smash be about that.

So either they revamp the Smash concept, or they ruin it by adding too many joke characters not worthy of fighting along.
thats more nintendo's fault thought since they dont make new ips much, he could see things change though before the next game comes

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
With the whole, "last one" thing, I think he has fun making these. Or, at least, he enjoys making the Smash Bros games. He does deserve a break though. The next Smash Bros should be directed by someone else, but Sakurai should still work on it. Executive produce or something. I dunno if they have that in video games.

Meezus

Smash Rookie
NNID
meezus_christ
3DS FC
2535-4263-8596
it better not be...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
it better not be...
Don't make it sound like he's obligated to an eternal hell of making Smash Brothers games. If he wants to stop after this then he has every right to, I think.

But hey! Welcome to the forums!

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
I hope that it's his last Smash Bros. game unless some miraculous thing happens and Sakurai finally surpasses Melee with Smash 4.

But we all know that isn't happening.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Everyone keeps asking this question and making threads for it so I'll ask you, OP. Is it Sakurai's last game?

Xigger

Smash Lord
It's mostly to do with requested characters. This entry on TV Tropes sums it up well:

Masahiro Sakurai has frequently been swamped by fans speculating who would be in the next Super Smash Bros. game and begging him to put this or that character in. In a Nintendo Direct video promoting the fourth game, he happily notes that the Wii Fit Trainer is a character that no one had guessed or asked for. (Though he did finally put Mega Man in the game. And he is awesome.)
  • A Nintendo Direct webcast promoting the fourth Smash game involved a lot of trolling:
    • After revealing that Samus' Zero Laser no longer causes her to change form, and in fact no characters would change form in this game, he followed it up by saying that because of this, Zero Suit Samus would no longer be returning... right before showing her updated appearance, saying he was just kidding.
    • The Direct had multiple "What character is this?" trophy segments, where a trophy is briefly displayed before its name and origin are given. One of these segments opens with the camera behind what appears to be a trophy of Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Then it cuts to the trophy's hideous Nightmare Face with a Scare Chord, revealing it as the boss Pseudo-Palutena. To make it extra-trolling, Palutena is a popularly-speculated and -requested character, so until the reveal it seemed like Sakurai was shooting down chances of her being playable. (Palutena would later be confirmed at the next E3.)
  • One of Sakurai's pics of the day revealed Waluigi as an Assist Trophy - with his caption rubbing in the fact that "Assist Trophy" means "not playable". And then the above Direct added insult to injury, as he started its segment on Assist Trophies with a Waluigi plushie in the frame.
"Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! ...Which also means he’s not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."
  • Sakurai has occasionally dropped hints about Ridley, but in a roundabout that neither confirms or denies that he's even going to be in the game at all. His intentional vagueness is incredibly frustrating towards fans who want him playable.
"Out of the blue, here's a new stage — the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second..."
From the Direct (again): "Boss characters may appear in other stages, not just [Wily Castle]." [while showing a very Ridley-like shadow in the Pyrosphere stage]
"Remember, no matter how big you may be, there is always someone bigger." [accompanying a picture that has nothing to do with Ridley, but can be taken as a reference to the "Ridley's too big" meme.]
To add to that, the Miis' reveal trailer appears to be a jab at those with (in his eyes) ridiculous character suggestions. Lincoln, Elijah Wood and Ice-T are apparently real suggestions that he received. One could also interpret the Miis in general as this. You want Goku? Here, make Goku for all I care.
I just want to add, that after Waluigi was announced with Sakurai stating "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.",
the next pic of the day was Dedenne coming out of a Pokeball, Sakurai saying "Look! Dedenne is trying hard too!"

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I hope that this is not his last Smash Game. BUT, he needs a big, looong break. He really deserves it.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
I personally don't see sakurai stepping down after smash 4 (like many have said) but I would at some point like to see someone new take on smash. We've seen that nintendo is letting new blood take on projects like splatoon, and I would really like to see what a new director could bring to the table for smash.

Of course maybe sakurai could still over see this future project? Much like how miyamoto is doing with mario games now I believe.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
i don't think so he might just give the smash license over to someone but this wont be the last game

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I definitely don't want this to be the last Smash Bros, if Sakurai wants to step down. Who knows, a change in director could be a good thing for the series.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think it very well could be, but considering there's no sign of a guy to replace him within Nintendo (maybe someone's shadowing him, I dunno) I doubt it will be, especially since Nintendo directors stay on their series until something goes past horribly wrong, regardless of who's making it, I can't see him stepping down. Then again, Iwata's basically tricked Sakurai into making 3 Smash games now, so maybe he will step aside after this one?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Its difficult to say at this time.

But Sakurai does deserve a break although I certainly do not want to think that this would be his last game just yet.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
It may be his last Smash game directed, but he does have a SOFT SPOT for KIRBY.

...heh... see what I did there....no?
/suicide

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I honestly hope this is Sakurai's last. And that Smash 5 is made in partnership with namco again with no general "director" I guess. Sakurai is the one that wants the game to be a "party" game and does not enjoy the competitive community. If he left, I feel we would find the perfect balance between Casual and Competitive as opposed to Sakurai purposely trying to make Smash a party game.

Edit: Many would say Smash is the best Nintendo series. It's the ultimate culmination of Nintendo's franchises. To any kid, seeing Pikachu fight Mario is incredible. And it's something that can only be done by Nintendo. The series is too popular to die after Sakurai leaves as well.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I don't think this will be his last Smash game, or at least I hope not. But it will probably be a long time before another one i even remotely considered. I mean remember how long it took between Melee and Brawl? I can see that as a realistic amount of time to wait for another Smash after Smash 4, assuming there is another one after that.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
I really wanna hug Sakurai.... am I weird for saying that? Come on! The guy learned how to get younger by getting older, either he uses more Make Up than American Women or his face is just god like

I also wanna hug him for honestly giving me a "home" so to speak in the gaming community. I mean, look at this dedicated (and at times VERY AGGRAVATING but then again what community isn't) user base that has been created. I just want him to give him love from ALL the smash fans out there, Casual or Competitive. Young or Old.

Plus the dood is just hilarious, who makes a Star Wars Reference when making a Pic of the Day for a Nintendo game?

Top Bottom