• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there life on other planets?

eet

Smash Ace
I'd like to hear some input from you guys on what you think about the existence of alien life forms.

I personally see no reason why the same chemical processes that lead to life here on Earth shouldn't have lead to life on many other worlds. If you look at the scale of the Milky Way (around 100 billion Stars(suns), most of which have solar systems of planets around them) And then from there, there are 100 billion other galaxies -- statistically it seems impossible that we are alone.

But, at least to me, this brings up some other questions. If life has evolved why do we see no evidence -- why the great silence? After all, the Sun is a third generation star, so there should be life evolved far beyond our own technology. The only reasonings I can think of are

a) space is enormously huge. if limited by the speed of light, it would take thousands of years just to traverse within our own galaxy. Maybe even other vastly more intelligent beings can't supersede its limits.

b) it takes life billions of years to evolve from one cellular to a multi-cellular collection of organic molecules. Thus, beings like people and trees may be be comparatively rare in the known universe.

or
c) It could be that life's design, ultimately a danger to themselves, destroys itself. (and perhaps the planet, as well)

Basically, I see no reason why we shouldn't be announcing microbial life found on Mars or another planets fairly soon. I wonder if this will have any religious impacts, as well.

what are your ideas?

tt;dr = IMO, too much space, has to be other organic matter somewhere.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
I think they're already here and shoving miscellanous objects up our *******.

In other words, I believe there is life outside our world.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Of course there is.

That's why I own all the seasons of the X-Files and have a "I Want to Believe" poster in my room (yes the one Mulder has in his office :p)

sammy p

Smash Lord
i find it hard to believe that there isnt life also.
i mean, seriously, in all of space, there isnt ONE other planet that has some kind of life at all??

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
It's nearly fact that there is life on other planets.

I mean think of how many stars we can see.Any of them could easily have planets orbiting it.They could even have conditions similar to earth.

Have you ever thought about this?

That the Universe is one big cycle.

I had a dream before were It was found that the big bang was the result of the previous universe's death.Let me explain because this gets crazy.

It turns out that because eventually,so far in the future that we can't even fathom.Every part of the universe will be engulfed in one giant black hole.Because of this that would mean every particle and sub particle in the universe would be contained in the one singularity of a Gigahole.

Eventually this Gigahole will reach critical mass and destroy itself.(as black holes do)

The explosive effect of it's death causes all the matter in the universe to be once again blown in all directions.

Then the billions and billions or years pass until certain sub atomic particles find each other again and randomly create the basic elements of life that we know today.

/end dream

The dream came to me like a documentary or something it was weird.

Maybe It just that the universe itself is like a cell in any of our bodies.A random part of some unimaginable system or being that has some specific function.

I'm ranting now

Snail

Smash Lord
I think there is... I'll go for a combination of theory A&B though - extraterrestrial life is quite likely to exist, but I think intelligent life with conscience as we know it may well be extremely rare. On earth, only one out of many thousands of species has developed that far... There might be other intelligent life forms out there, but they're probably few and far between and because space is so incredibly vast, chances of contact are minimal.

I don't think life is self-destructive; human nature might be, though.

Pikaville

@pikaville, big bang is false imo cause you still need good evidence on how such a cycle befan.

Yeah, life is out there somewhere...we just can't prove it well.
Like I said the cycle could be compared of that to a cell in our own bodies.

Energy is needed and used to create a cell that has a specific function.This cell will eventually die and will be replaced by a new cell.

Each universe could be a "cell" in some sort of unimaginable entity.

When you think about it the universe as a whole is just a random assortment of molecules that have come together to form various ways of just using energy.

Maybe the universes entire function is just to use up energy?

Geist

Smash Master
Basically, I see no reason why we shouldn't be announcing microbial life found on Mars or another planets fairly soon. I wonder if this will have any religious impacts, as well.
I'm willing to bet it'll have about as much religious impact as the discovery of dinosaur bones. Which wasn't much, considering.

I think the probability of life on another planet is extremely high, but the odds of any contact would be extremely low. Considering the length of time people have been on earth, and the length of time it took us to get here on a cosmic scale, the amount of intelligent life that would be simultaneously existing with us and be in a close proximity is very low.

Also, there is some favorable evidence to help support the big bang theory, but honestly that stuff is waaaaay above me. All I remember is something about 'cosmic microwave background radiation', and something called the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I'd be very surprised to find out that there is no life anywhere else in the Universe, but I'd be equally surprised to come across any advanced extraterrestrial life form, given the huge obstacles with interstellar flight. One also needs to locate the Earth and determine the probability of life on the planet before even attempting to go here to find life, which is pretty difficult.

황미영

Smash Champion
@pikaville, big bang is false imo cause you still need good evidence on how such a cycle began..
Exactly. Scientist can't just say that out of no where the universe began to expand the way it did to get to the point we are in.

It's basically questioning God, and how He came to be.

He was just there.

The universe just wanted to expand.

Man, life has to be one of the most random things. If we can't have a definite reason as to why and how this all happened.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Don't bother trying to say the Big Bang was caused by the christian god. It could have been started by absolutely anything. A super advanced robot from the 4th dimension, a unicorn, the big crunch on an infinite cycle, Zeus, the magic aliens from Indiana Jones. Anything.

And obviously there's other life but due to the limitations of the speed of light I doubt we'll ever know. Unless we cryogenically freeze ourselves or something.

Pikaville

Yeah it's horrible to know that noting we can do will ever find us the truth.

Intelligence/consciousness are the devil sometimes.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
One of my favourite quotes is totally relevant.

"If we are the only life in the universe, seems like an awful waste of space."

황미영

Smash Champion
Don't bother trying to say the Big Bang was caused by the christian god. It could have been started by absolutely anything. A super advanced robot from the 4th dimension, a unicorn, the big crunch on an infinite cycle, Zeus, the magic aliens from Indiana Jones. Anything.

And obviously there's other life but due to the limitations of the speed of light I doubt we'll ever know. Unless we cryogenically freeze ourselves or something.
Eh, I was not comparing the two to say where it came from. I was just using it to show how both sides have silly comments as to how they were already there, from nothing in the beginning.

Again, I can't word things correctly. >;

Jonas

Smash Champion
Given that everything appears to move away from each other, the thought of the universe starting with an explosion doesn't seem so farfetched :V
One of my favourite quotes is totally relevant.

"If we are the only life in the universe, seems like an awful waste of space."
The person who uttered that quote seems to think that the universe is there for him to occupy, and I see his point, since having a great universe seems pointless if there is no life to appreciate its greatness, but even without life to appreciate it, the universe is still great :V
What I'm trying to say is that a universe without occupants is not a bad thing since there is nobody in it to have an opinion about it.

UberMario

Smash Master
Eventually this Gigahole will reach critical mass and destroy itself.(as black holes do)
Black Holes don't destroy themselves. :laugh: They ARE destruction. Black Holes are where gravity is so strong that a large star gets sucked into an infinitely small point with a force so strong no light can escape it, rendering it and the surronding material that is also getting engulfed black. If they blew up the ejection wouldn't even have light escape. (Quasars are different)

Pikaville

Black Holes don't destroy themselves. :laugh: They ARE destruction. Black Holes are where gravity is so strong that a large star gets sucked into an infinitely small point with a force so strong no light can escape it, rendering it and the surronding material that is also getting engulfed black. If they blew up the ejection wouldn't even have light escape. (Quasars are different)
Black holes do/should die eventually.Due to quantum mechanical processes.According to Dr Hawking.

They radiate energy and slowly evaporate.(Hawking Radiation)This causes them to become smaller and radiate even more energy.

Although it is believed that the timescale on it would be unimaginably long.BillionsxBillionsxBillionsxBillionsxBillions of years.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Chances are there is life out there, doesn't mean they'll be super aliens with lasers, shields and spaceships (even though that'll be pretty awesome as long as they don't attack us). Prob just some microscopic creatures sitting on some distant planet.

Tacel

Smash Lord
What about the Roswell UFO Incident?
Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I hope we find something out there in my lifetime. I don't expect sentience; that's a bit much to hope for. All I want are some simple bacteria-level things, preferably on Europa. How amazing would it be to find extraterrestrial life in our own system? Though I won't say no to finding it elsewhere.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
I hope we find something out there in my lifetime. I don't expect sentience; that's a bit much to hope for. All I want are some simple bacteria-level things, preferably on Europa. How amazing would it be to find extraterrestrial life in our own system? Though I won't say no to finding it elsewhere.
Simple bacteria? Dude, leave a slice of cheese out for a couple of weeks and you'll get all the bacteria you want.

I want giant alien bugs or tentacle monsters that want our Earth women for breeding experiments.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
yeah, I dont see difference between a network of cells that make up a person, a bunch of ants that make up an ant colony a bunch of stars that make up a galaxy, etc... You could define life as "being made of cells", but obviously cells are just another level of sophistication.

This question is kinda silly if you think about it.. 'stuff' happens, and patterns rise out of 'stuff'. Cells could just be the result of trillions of years of matter naturally forming patterns, and organisms could just be the result of billions of years of cells naturally forming patterns... All you have to do is apply "time" to something mobile, and patterns form. Unrelative to the human mind, time could just be infinite, thus there could be an infinite amount of patterns, and thus you could just keep zooming out or zooming in levels of complexity, and never find a limit.

the human mind is more or less evolved to make sense out of things via two kinds of thought: Big picture vs little details (bottom-up thinking vs top-down thinking). When you try to imagine both an infinite scope of little details and an infinitely large big picture, you would be "neutralizing" both thought chains, and you would never be able to make sense of it.

So when you ask yourself whether other life exists or not, you naturally might either stick to a top-down view or a bottom-up view. From a top-down view, you might believe that other life does not exist based on belief/religion. (it would act as the "top" limit of big picture thinking) From a bottom-up view, you would need some kind of base limit, such as believing in matter that cannot be broken down further. It's more likely that you believe in other life in this case.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I know that, but I would still rather make contact with aliens than can think on my level.

Or are even smarter.:)

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
Well it is very possible for there to be life outside of this planet. There are like billions of planets that aren't discovered yet

Kole

Smash Lord
It is a scientific impossibility for there to be no life other than on Earth.

Kideras

Smash Rookie
first off, some people say I am living proof:chuckle:

but really, the odds off life existing on other planets are pretty high, like .006 of all planets, well that may seem low but consider there are trillions if not quadrillions of planets, thats some pretty good odds eh?

Top Bottom