• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there hope for Smash Bros. 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pieisamazing

Smash Cadet
...or has Sakurai ruined it's competitive market?

Will Sakurai be fired in favor of a gamer who truly appreciates competitive smash?

SHOULD he removed from all future projects?

Would you buy another Smash Bros. game?

Will you purchase it in the hopes that it's good, or will you base it off of trailers and gameplay videos?

Is gameplay truly more important than amazing graphics, online playability, and a multi-hour storyline complete with thousands of trophies not to mention a gigantic challenge wall and STICKERS??? (The answer is "yes," f***heads)

Could SSB4 be the long-awaited second-coming of the glorious Melee? Could it even be BETTER than melee?

What could be changed to make it better?

IS SAKURAI WATCHING? DOES HE SEE WHAT HIS HANDS HAVE WROUGHT?!

For the few who still read the Melee boards, this I am earnestly asking of you: compile your thoughts here; answer these questions if you like, or ask your own. Keep the best Smash game of the series alive, and, most importantly: keep honing your skills. When Brawl meets an end long before its predecessor, you will be the earth on which the new Smash Community is built.

Discuss.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
i think melee is the best its gonna get. sakurai obviously doesnt care about the real smash players who play not just for fun but competitively as well. he made brawl because he thought melee was too fast for him and he was mad he couldnt do any ATs. even if there is Smash4 it probably wont be as good as melee though hopefully it will be better than brawl.

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
I don't think its that sakurai cant do it.
Its that he chose not to...
And yes gameplay is EVERYTHING in a fighting game...whoever the next director is he/she should completely focus on the actual gameplay.
I would buy it just because i can't base of anything on the next game if I haven't played it extensively
and to answer your last question I guess only the director that truly deserves to be it should be able to see what was wrong with brawl.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Sakuri made 64,Sakuri made melee, Sakuri made brawl, he may just give us another deep fighting game, thats IF he wants to make another game at all. However, remember when iwata said that if he didnt get sakuri on the project he would have just taken melee and given a couple new characters stages and online play? Well if someone new DOESNT helm the next smash bros. what we might get is a Brawl that has been slightly tweaked and has upgraded online with new characters and stages.

So I hope that no Nintendo corporate suits do it, that would suck.

Overload

Smash Lord
I want another game just like melee with new characters if there is another. and sakurai wont make that. well maybe a game just like melee with a little tweaks

Grunt

Smash Master
it's more or less up to the fans to hack melee to possibly change some values to try and re-balance it.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Didn't Sakurai leave after making Brawl? I heard they had to persuade him just to get working on that one.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Didn't Sakurai leave after making Brawl? I heard they had to persuade him just to get working on that one.

I really wish they didn't.

Maybe in a couple of years, Iwata will decide to make another smash game, but this time, without Sakurai.

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Sakurai intended for half of the things used in competitive melee to happen. Likewise with snaking in Mario kart. Both franchises got rid of those techniques, because they weren't meant to be exploited.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about it either.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
I think its pretty obvious at this point that expecting any games from Nintendo beyond a periodically hyped casual fad (brain age, wii sports, wii fit, etc) and brawlified remakes of their old franchises is naive. Even if they tried to go beyond that, their detachment from actual gamers would ultimately result in a disappointment. You should also realize no one at Nintendo knows what competitive smash is, just like the majority of people in general. At best they have seen a youtube video and thought, "wow how are they moving so fast?" Though, you have to admit that making a great game and then ruining it later is better than never making a great game at all.

The great games tend to withstand the test of time. The only issue is that what makes Melee a great game is rather subtle and most people might not immediately get it, but with a community as dedicated Melee's and an emulator that is getting to the point where it can run Melee at full speed now (with a good gpu, dual core 64bit cpu) I think outcome will be ok in the long run. A friend of mine, who seems to know what hes doing, even claims he will make "Melee 2.0" if necessary so this may not even be relavent. Regaurdless I think the style of gameplay Melee introduced will live on forever in some form even if Nintendo is out of the picture.

What bothers me more are the Nintendo fanboys and the noobs who do not even try to "get it" and use "fear of change" as a scapegoat for all the criticism toward Brawl. They would rather regress the community back to 2001 and try to play Brawl like it is a new Melee instead of letting the smash community move on to the objectively better choice.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I think its pretty obvious at this point that expecting any games from Nintendo beyond a periodically hyped casual fad (brain age, wii sports, wii fit, etc) and brawlified remakes of their old franchises is naive. Even if they tried to go beyond that, their detachment from actual gamers would ultimately result in a disappointment. You should also realize no one at Nintendo knows what competitive smash is, just like the majority of people in general. At best they have seen a youtube video and thought, "wow how are they moving so fast?" Though, you have to admit that making a great game and then ruining it later is better than never making a great game at all.

The great games tend to withstand the test of time. The only issue is that what makes Melee a great game is rather subtle and most people might not immediately get it, but with a community as dedicated Melee's and an emulator that is getting to the point where it can run Melee at full speed now (with a good gpu, dual core 64bit cpu) I think outcome will be ok in the long run. A friend of mine, who seems to know what hes doing, even claims he will make "Melee 2.0" if necessary so this may not even be relavent. Regaurdless I think the style of gameplay Melee introduced will live on forever in some form even if Nintendo is out of the picture.

What bothers me more are the Nintendo fanboys and the noobs who do not even try to "get it" and use "fear of change" as a scapegoat for all the criticism toward Brawl. They would rather regress the community back to 2001 and try to play Brawl like it is a new Melee instead of letting the smash community move on to the objectively better choice.

Best post about Melee and Brawl i've seen.

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman

So true...

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that casual sells.

I understand people's beef with Brawl, but at the same time I also get tired of comments like "noobs only like Brawl" or things like that. Let's not forget that the vast majority of people don't have time to become extremely good at Melee. Many have families, jobs, friends, and other parts of life to deal with. As much as we may not like to hear it the hardcore competitive branch of gamers is actually a rather small % of the population who buy games. The Nintendo Wii's sales this last December show that quite well.

It is the same curse the NFL goes through that the devoted fans are not the majority. The casual ones are. So for many people Brawl is great because they aren't looking to become the best ever.

I won't debate you over Melee being a better competitive game, but at the same time don't bash people for liking a casual game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom