• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any difference between Missile AI and up-air AI in terms of frames/etc?

Mcoree

Smash Rookie
So its pretty much known by everyone that you can interrupt with both missiles and aerials like up-air on platforms, but is there any difference between the two? To me it seems like when you interrupt with a missile, you "slide" across the platform a little more than with up air, but its hard to tell. Anyone know if there is any difference and whether you should use one over the other?

Smash Journeyman
Upair aerial interrupt shifts your ECB downward so that you autocancel before the move comes out, and you snap to the platform well before you'd usually be able to land (i.e. you land while still rising). You end up with the standard 4 frames of autocancel landing lag.

Missile canceling on a platform, done correctly, causes a no-impact land. I believe shooting the missile causes the ECB to shift upward, so you can sometimes make the platform when you ordinarily wouldn't be able to (e.g. shorthop homing missile on Battlefield). You still have to jump all the way to the platform, which puts you on the platform slower than an aerial interrupt does, but you only have 1 frame of no-impact land landing lag.

The former is faster for putting yourself in an actionable state on the platform. The latter puts out a missile (and in fact you can usually no-impact land even without firing the missile, except in my earlier example of sh homing missile on BF), but you land on the platform later.

Litt

Samus
Upair aerial interrupt shifts your ECB downward so that you autocancel before the move comes out, and you snap to the platform well before you'd usually be able to land (i.e. you land while still rising). You end up with the standard 4 frames of autocancel landing lag.

Missile canceling on a platform, done correctly, causes a no-impact land. I believe shooting the missile causes the ECB to shift upward, so you can sometimes make the platform when you ordinarily wouldn't be able to (e.g. shorthop homing missile on Battlefield). You still have to jump all the way to the platform, which puts you on the platform slower than an aerial interrupt does, but you only have 1 frame of no-impact land landing lag.

The former is faster for putting yourself in an actionable state on the platform. The latter puts out a missile (and in fact you can usually no-impact land even without firing the missile, except in my earlier example of sh homing missile on BF), but you land on the platform later.
well there are a few more things to add, things like short hopping backwards will cause no impact lands on battlefield, short hop charge shot, and short hop and apex of jump up ait and you will AI as well on ... battle, yoshis (far side of plats not area closetest to center of stage), and pkmn no transform, on tree on right side with the transformation with 2 wooden plats, and the lower plat on the windmill (upper plat you can full jump up air at apex of jump) ^_^

Top Bottom