• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a name for this kind of player?

TehRazorBack

Smash Rookie
Hello all, this is my first post into this community. I have been playing Smash Bros. for over 13 or so years, first starting with Melee, and have enjoyed many years of playing. I consider myself very experienced, but by no means tournament worthy. Intro; short and sweet.

We play a lot of Smash at my work during lunch time, usually 4 player, and recently a peer I work with has given me much grief when playing. He is a fairly new player, but a fast learner. It came down to me and him, 1v1, on Big Battlefield. He seemed to take a tactic of not engaging, instead spending the entire time running, jumping, and generally avoiding actually fighting. Now I play Ganondorf, and 1v1 I have no issue with players like Link/Rob/Ness firing projectiles at me; anything goes 1v1, and it is a legitimate strategy against an opponent like Ganondorf who has to get in close. However, this player simply avoided doing anything. There was a whole 20 seconds where I gave up chasing him, standing in the center taunting, hoping he would actually engage, while he stood on one of the higher platforms waiting for me to move. And of course, having to constantly follow him around the stage led to me being at a huge disadvantage, he could punish any failed attempt to catch up with him. Needless to say, there was a lot of room for him to constantly jump on Big Battlefield, and Ganondorf being slow and easily punishable, I did lose the match. Was a very frustrating game for me, and was uninteresting for the other two players who were waiting for the next match to begin (In hindsight, a time on the match would have meant I could just stand for 3 minutes, wait it out, and call it a draw. Still, not exciting for anyone.)

The question is two fold: Is there a Smash Bros. derogatory term for players like this? And what is the best way to approach this situation, both in game and confronting the player personally? Simply not playing him is not an option, as I want to keep a good working relationship with him (He's my colleague in a small office). I have played against many players in my time, and some have tried to do this tactic before. However I'm used to playing on Final Destination, where it is not possible to escape fighting. Also, this player picks Big Battlefield every time he gets a pick, purely because he enjoys to exploit this strategy. I'm hoping the occasional mentioning of the derogatory term by all the players whenever he does the strategy might dissuade him for doing it.

Anyhoo, thank you for your time reading this, and I hope to hear back from you soon with any advice you may have.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
So he just avoids everything? Did you set it to stock or time because you have to approach in a stock battle and that would break his constant defensive strategy. Also, there's a thing called "spacing" which can be deadly if learned correctly(try to stay a good distance away from the opponent while hitting them). Rosalina is the master of spacing so you might want to try her out.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Hello all, this is my first post into this community. I have been playing Smash Bros. for over 13 or so years, first starting with Melee, and have enjoyed many years of playing. I consider myself very experienced, but by no means tournament worthy. Intro; short and sweet.

We play a lot of Smash at my work during lunch time, usually 4 player, and recently a peer I work with has given me much grief when playing. He is a fairly new player, but a fast learner. It came down to me and him, 1v1, on Big Battlefield. He seemed to take a tactic of not engaging, instead spending the entire time running, jumping, and generally avoiding actually fighting. Now I play Ganondorf, and 1v1 I have no issue with players like Link/Rob/Ness firing projectiles at me; anything goes 1v1, and it is a legitimate strategy against an opponent like Ganondorf who has to get in close. However, this player simply avoided doing anything. There was a whole 20 seconds where I gave up chasing him, standing in the center taunting, hoping he would actually engage, while he stood on one of the higher platforms waiting for me to move. And of course, having to constantly follow him around the stage led to me being at a huge disadvantage, he could punish any failed attempt to catch up with him. Needless to say, there was a lot of room for him to constantly jump on Big Battlefield, and Ganondorf being slow and easily punishable, I did lose the match. Was a very frustrating game for me, and was uninteresting for the other two players who were waiting for the next match to begin (In hindsight, a time on the match would have meant I could just stand for 3 minutes, wait it out, and call it a draw. Still, not exciting for anyone.)

The question is two fold: Is there a Smash Bros. derogatory term for players like this? And what is the best way to approach this situation, both in game and confronting the player personally? Simply not playing him is not an option, as I want to keep a good working relationship with him (He's my colleague in a small office). I have played against many players in my time, and some have tried to do this tactic before. However I'm used to playing on Final Destination, where it is not possible to escape fighting. Also, this player picks Big Battlefield every time he gets a pick, purely because he enjoys to exploit this strategy. I'm hoping the occasional mentioning of the derogatory term by all the players whenever he does the strategy might dissuade him for doing it.

Anyhoo, thank you for your time reading this, and I hope to hear back from you soon with any advice you may have.
That's referred to as circle camping. This is also why big battlefield is not a legal stage.

D

Deleted member 269706

I don't think we have an official title for that kind of player, but we're all familiar with them. You have two options: (1) bait him and trick him into a skirmish, (2) play a different character who can catch him easier, be it via speed or projectiles. That's why there's multiple characters, for multiple play styles.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Just call him a scrub and counterpick pac land.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I don't know what is the term for the player, but there is a term for this gameplay: Circle camping. Since the stage is quite big, he can use it as a advantage to run around the stage and avoid you. I would not recommend you to drop Ganon, but rather learn a secondary to deal with this guy... Sorry, but he acts like a scrub

Last edited:

TehRazorBack

Smash Rookie
@PokEmblem: Stock, so the point of having to approach in a stock battle further makes my point. And no this was not spacing. It was more "make him chase me, make him chase me, ah hah! A mistake! Hit once...make him chase me, make him chase me". I have played against some very good spacing players before; a player in the office plays a very good Marth, an another player Zero Suit Samus, controlling with the whip. But they actually engage, leading to an entertaining match, even if I lose :) This was different. This was infuriating. Giving up chase and sitting stationary, and watching him finally stop running, proved to me that he had no intention of actually coming in to attack himself, his entire strategy was to keep the other person chasing until eventually they mess up a jump or similar, then do minimal damage. If I didn't move we could have been sitting there for several minutes before another player would have eventually made us quit the match, which would not have been fun for anyone.

@Everyone: Thanks for all your replies. Circle camping, eh? And I do play many characters, Ganondorf is simply the one I am trying to get good at just now. Captain Falcon/Mario/Peach/Rob/Toon Link are my others that I'm just as proficient at. Might have better chances then Ganondorf, but I don't know if I'm gonna face him 1v1 at the end, nor if he'll pick the level until after we pick characters. Hopefully using "Circle Camper" during the occasional trash-talk might help.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't know about a Smash Bros. term, but where I'm from, we call that a *****.
If you want any chance of beating this dude, Old Manondorf won't cut it. You'll need someone faster with fewer punishable moves, like Mario, Falcon, Sheik, Fox, or Sonic.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Play sonic with all speed equipment and enjoy as your opponent trys to run from you while crying for his mommy.

But srrsly, seeing as you can use Falcon, use him, it'll make it easier to catch up to him

Lloyyd

Smash Rookie
If you play Ganondorf as your main you can easily pick Cpt. Falcon. He can try to run away from him, but no one can escape the Captain.

Jerr Leon

Smash Rookie
NNID
jerrleon
I would call this guy a flat out camper. He just flees around, and even when you stay in one place, he doesnt come down.

I would suggest picking Falcon, as many have already suggested. I also would recommend Link, because he has projectiles. Mega Man, too, since he also has projectiles, and they go in a straight line. You can play against him like a shooting game lol.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I hate saying what many people already said, but I am too familiar with this pain to just remain silent. play Captain Falcon and dair his ass into oblivion. Don't forget to taunt afterwards. Good luck and may the best player (you) win.

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
I hate saying what many people already said, but I am too familiar with this pain to just remain silent. play Captain Falcon and dair his *** into oblivion. Don't forget to taunt afterwards. Good luck and may the best player (you) win.
Or, instead of taunting, teabag him. It's much safer.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
It is indeed. But Falcon's taunts seem fast enough for them to not be able to retaliate even if they are spawned early.
Ultra pro strat: D-taunt finishes faster if you're facing left than right. One of just a few taunts that changes slightly depending on which direction you're facing.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Dont wanna be rude but your boy sounds like a Douche expecially if hes palying that defensive...like not approaching what so ever...thats sad.. and i main Ganon so i know what its like.
My advice to you is Pick up DDD as your second main once you learn him he is crazy.
Gordo and His F_Tilt are amazing.
Or learn bowser.
I take it you are a heavyweight user?

If he is shielding just run up to him with bowser and command grab him he will very quickly break the habit becuase he know he will die after like 4 of them.

I just read your second post.
You say you be Falcon? He is perfect just run and grab him he wouldnt be able to do anything.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
It's called Circle Camping. If you can't catch him, then he can get a damage/stock lead and avoid fighting you until the time runs out. It's a legitimate win, especially in tournament rules where Damage% determines victory. It's comparable to camping the sides on a walk-off stage. And no, you can't do anything about it with Gannondorf, which is why massive stages that allow this (Big Battlefield) are tournament banned.

The easy solution to this is to not fall into the trap of playing on a stage where he can choose to not engage you and still win.

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
nothing better then repeating the same topic of "this guy on FG taunted at me and made me mad so im gonna complain on the forum instead of trying to get better"?

most of these theeads
Have you even read the dude's thread? Do something better instead of acting as the forums' guardian and criticising people for mistakes they didn't make.

salaboB

Smash Champion
im no guardian it's not my fault some people get frustrated over FG
...this thread isn't about FG, he's playing offline with people.

To the OP: I recommend just targeting the guy while everyone else is still alive. If he ever whines, just tell him "You showed me you won't bother to fight after so I have to take care of you now."

Last edited:

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
First of all, you shouldn't fish for derogatory terms just because another player is using strategies you may not approve of. Even if its the most cheesiest, crap and cheap strategy possible. Don't mean you should find buzzwords to assign and hurt these people. Rather, it's up to you to make him switch his current strategy by adjusting yours.

Playing multiplayer games requires adaptation to an enemies strategies and here is no exception. In order to make up for his lack of experience in the game, your guy has wisely adopted a wait-and-bait play-style and so far it seems he is finding success with his strategy. His lack of experience coupled with playing it safe means he's likely to pick certain options which work with his strategy (projectiles for example) Use this along with character knowledge to read his moves and counter accordingly.

In my non-professional opinion. the best way for you to fight back is to hover at mid-range and play patiently, just bait him him into an approach or a roll away, the point is to force him to react to you, if he rolls or runs away then you should use Ganon's down-special or side-special to chase or jump depending on his input.

Another thing is to watch spacing, Ganon has plenty of lengthy AND powerful moves like his forward tilt, his side-b can be good when used sparingly and intelligently. Know how far you need to be in order to hit your opponent at max range, doing so can create openings to capitalize on and lead into combos.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
First of all, you shouldn't fish for derogatory terms just because another player is using strategies you may not approve of. Even if its the most cheesiest, crap and cheap strategy possible. Don't mean you should find buzzwords to assign and hurt these people. Rather, it's up to you to make him switch his current strategy by adjusting yours.

Playing multiplayer games requires adaptation to an enemies strategies and here is no exception. In order to make up for his lack of experience in the game, your guy has wisely adopted a wait-and-bait play-style and so far it seems he is finding success with his strategy. His lack of experience coupled with playing it safe means he's likely to pick certain options which work with his strategy (projectiles for example) Use this along with character knowledge to read his moves and counter accordingly.

In my non-professional opinion. the best way for you to fight back is to hover at mid-range and play patiently, just bait him him into an approach or a roll away, the point is to force him to react to you, if he rolls or runs away then you should use Ganon's down-special or side-special to chase or jump depending on his input.

Another thing is to watch spacing, Ganon has plenty of lengthy AND powerful moves like his forward tilt, his side-b can be good when used sparingly and intelligently. Know how far you need to be in order to hit your opponent at max range, doing so can create openings to capitalize on and lead into combos.
Down Tilt and Down Smash have the most range.

He should use Down tilt and Left B to space and approach.

FSmash the other way to punish his rolls.
If he gets hit with a few Fsmash because of Roll Reads he will be mince meat fast..Ganon is a monster.

Although i strongly suggest choosing another char to go against him mainly DDD
Good Ko power
Ridiculous survive potential
And F_Tilt has insane range
Very high priority moves
Down throw combos
And hes got Gordos!

Morbi

Scavenger
Surprisingly, no one has yet answered the question of the title. The name of this type of player is a "zoner." Albeit, it is not really derogatory without context. Zoning is all about being a safe distance from your opponent; however, it sounds like your colleauge is a little over-zealous in what that entails.

I used to have a friend that would play like this before I began to play more competitively. He would use Pit in Brawl and always run away from all engagements. But we never tried to shame him for it. It was just his play-style. It is not too fun to play against, but it is a game and that is how he had fun. I suggest being patient and approaching safely. He wants you to make a mistake, he wants you to get frustrated. Do not give him the satisfaction, reverse the fortune!

Hopefully he adapts to a more aggressive zoner so that you are not just playing cat and mouse the entire set.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I wonder if Roy might be effective against his usual tactics, especially on Big Battlefield. (Though of course, that assumes you have bought Roy off the EShop.) Third highest air speed in the game, ninth fastest run speed, and very fast falling speed make for a character who could easily control the bottom two levels of Big Battlefield to prevent effective circle camping. And should you make your way to the top platform, Roy's high air speed and fall speed would allow him to quickly catch the foe when he tries to run from that position.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Use a projectile character or Sonic and destroy him.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Just use a projectile heavy character like R.O.B.

His laser can hit someone from anywhere on Big Battlefield.

Top Bottom