• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Is the GameCube Controller worth buying?

You see, I haven't played with a GameCube Controller for years, but now I have the oppurtunity to get a new one for the latest game. The controller and adapter together cost almost the same price as a new game though. If it doesn't make much of a difference, I'll skip it. I just want to know if it's really worth it or not. How does the controller feel? How does it compare to the Wii U Pro Controller? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
Mate, You don't even need to take a second look at the Wii controller before You realise a GC controller is worth buying

Qbopper

Smash Rookie
You're asking the most hardcore community for Smashbros if they think you should use a GC controller?

I have it, it's really goddamn nice - I absolutely love it, if you want to get a good controller this is not a bad choice at all

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
The GameCube controller is an unmatched work of art . It has Picasso literally bending in his grave . Not only that , it .. Yes , get one . :colorful:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Wii U Pro Controller is amazing and you actually can use it to play other Wii U games, unlike the GC controller. I don't see the point of buying the GC one, unless you are really really nostalgic for it.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
If the question is about the new Gamecube controller with the smash logo, it's just a Gamecube Controller and a boring one... You can find old Gamecube controller very funny or really original on internet for the same price... Like Sponge Bob Gamecube controller or Nintendo Club Gamecube Controller...

There are a Pro Controller with Gamecube shape and its works with every game accepting Pro Controller.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
If you're willing to fork over the money and if you like the gamecube controller in brawl and melee, then I'd recommend it. It's totally up to you. My brother hasn't touched the gamecube controller and has been doing very well with a pro controller. Pro controllers cost lie 50 dollars though unless you get it from amazon or ebay or something (Between 30-50 dollars). Keep in mind that you also can use a wii mote and classic controller which can be slightly less depending on where you choose to shop. For the bundle I spent 100 dollars total. The bundle itself brought the price up by 40 extra dollars, which was ten dollars less than I spent for my pro controller a year and a half ago.

It's really up to you, however, keep these factors in mind. If you can get the adapter and controller dirt cheep, then go for it. In my area there are stores selling gamecube controllers for like 20 dollars each, don't know how the adapter is going to sell for. If you are happy with the current controller that you have, then I say stick with it. It isn't a necessity to enjoy smash and do extremely well in it. I have another brother who plays while using the wii mote and nunchuck and he's really good with it.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
You see, I haven't played with a GameCube Controller for years, but now I have the oppurtunity to get a new one for the latest game. The controller and adapter together cost almost the same price as a new game though. If it doesn't make much of a difference, I'll skip it. I just want to know if it's really worth it or not. How does the controller feel? How does it compare to the Wii U Pro Controller? Thanks in advance!
I was originally going for the GC Controller, but after playing the 3DS and revisiting Brawl and Melee a couple times, I realized I much prefer the change the new configuration of the 3DS and Wii U Pro bring. Here's my reasoning:

• I don't like the squishy R and L of the GC anymore. Feels messy. The quick presses of the R and L (not the triggers) on the 3DS and Wii U Pro are perfect. They're quick, and executable with finer movement. I like to map R to shield and L to grab, since the 3DS has gotten me used to it.
  • The X and Y buttons are in an excellent place relative to the A and B buttons. They are also closer to the c-stick on the Wii U Pro - allowing for finer movements.
You can't go wrong with either one, but I think the Wii U Pro is more than adequate to Smash on - particularly if you are familiar with the 3DS.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
If the question is about the new Gamecube controller with the smash logo, it's just a Gamecube Controller and a boring one... You can find old Gamecube controller very funny or really original on internet for the same price... Like Sponge Bob Gamecube controller or Nintendo Club Gamecube Controller...

There are a Pro Controller with Gamecube shape and its works with every game accepting Pro Controller.
Actually I have one, it's a Classic Controller. You have to hook it up to a Wii Remote.

But still as has been said it's far more compatible than a regular GameCube controller. I mean yes GC is a good controller but there are many decent options, not just that one.

If you need to save the 30 aside for something else, don't bother. If you really need a new GC controller you may as well have a fresh new one with Smash logo

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
The only reasons anyone should really need to use a GC controller is if its economical for them because they already have them, OR if you have been playing smash with it already for a long time and have gotten completely used to it and don't desire to learn a new control scheme. It really doesn't offer any straight up advantages over the pro controller other than that. You aren't going to be playing the game any better with it or anything.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
3DS controls suck therefore Wii U Pro controls suck.

Get the Gamecube controller. It's comfortable, more efficiently functional, and it's wired to it doesn't have input lag like all of the other options.

Um...the controller you're talking about is still read as a Classic Controller, so it's not compatible with every game accepting a Pro Controller.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
If you always used a GC controller and don't have a pro controller yes.

As a person who played through Melee and Brawl with a GC controller I can say that the Pro controller is just as good if not better.

The Cheese

Smash Cadet
I do think the pro controller is a viable option, especially if you're new to the series or just didn't really ever play the Gamecube.

However, if you are a long-time fan of the series, you probably already understand the love for the controller. At the very least, you could save up your money to get the two of them, provided they don't go out of circulation. Still, if you don't think it's worth it, it probably isn't. As was mentioned, it's kinda expensive to double the cost of one game and only be able to use that cost towards the one game.

I have to say, though, the new SSB controller's button's are stickier than I remember. I bought the white Japanese controller online the other day, and having played with both of them back to back, and both of them being brand-spanking new, I like the feel of the white one better. If you are going to get a GC controller, in my opinion, your best option is not the new SSB controller. I picked one up for the novelty of it, though. I mean, it's Smash Bros., right? I have disposable income. Why not use it? 'MURICA.

ffadicted

Smash Rookie
I havn't been able to play with the Cube controller yet, but I can tell you that the C stick feels very cumbersome in the Wii U pro, and the buttons feel out of place. To be fair, it's only been two days to adjust, but I think the placement of the C stick and the way the A/B/X are layed out in the cube are much better

The Cheese

Smash Cadet
I havn't been able to play with the Cube controller yet, but I can tell you that the C stick feels very cumbersome in the Wii U pro, and the buttons feel out of place. To be fair, it's only been two days to adjust, but I think the placement of the C stick and the way the A/B/X are layed out in the cube are much better
I'd give it some time, were I you. Any issues with placement are easily overcome with practice. Muscle memory is, oddly enough, pretty forgetful. Besides, weaning off the C-Stick a bit could be a good option. I barely even use it anymore since I've been practicing on the 3DS version; it's better for my competitive game, overall. Allows me faster reaction time between the jump and attack buttons, so my edge-guarding and aerial games are on point lately.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, if you already have a Wii U pro controller, use that, since it gets the job done just as well. Although, you might want to consider remapping the controls on it.

Looks like the Adapter sold out just before the replies began coming in! :laugh:

I'm beginning to think the Pro Controller will be good enough. Though I'll probably get a GCN Controller if I save enough money.

Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom