• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is the counter for marth considered. cheap?

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
People really don't care if something is cheap in tournament. If it wins them the game it was a good strat.

Counter is just a lot worse in tournament cause people don't mash all attack buttons in your face 24/7. If you counter and your opponent didn't attack yet cause he didn't want to commit yet you're standing still for 2 seconds for him to think of the appropriate punish and do a lot of percent/take a lot of stage put you in a bad position and maybe take a stock.

Now say you have a beautiful read and you counter your opponent exactly where you wanted. You get 7% and go back to the neutral game.

Basically people don't counter cause it's too high of a risk for such a low reward. It's only good as a spacey edgeguard and a get off me tool if you're stuck in the opponents (bad) pressure.

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
People really don't care if something is cheap in tournament. If it wins them the game it was a good strat.

Counter is just a lot worse in tournament cause people don't mash all attack buttons in your face 24/7. If you counter and your opponent didn't attack yet cause he didn't want to commit yet you're standing still for 2 seconds for him to think of the appropriate punish and do a lot of percent/take a lot of stage put you in a bad position and maybe take a stock.

Now say you have a beautiful read and you counter your opponent exactly where you wanted. You get 7% and go back to the neutral game.

Basically people don't counter cause it's too high of a risk for such a low reward. It's only good as a spacey edgeguard and a get off me tool if you're stuck in the opponents (bad) pressure.
Thank you for taking your time to explain! I really just thought it was like a restricted move or something because I get a lot of kos using counter and the people I play with usually don't like that :|

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, most high level players think it's overpowered and choose not to use it out of respect.

Top Bottom