• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the character ballot legitimate?

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think that out replies to the ballot are going to do anything more than mii fighter outfits, or has the smash team already decided what characters are going to be added?

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
When the ballot first came out, I had a cynical thought that they already planned what characters they were going to add and that they were going to act like those where the result of the ballot. :B
I kind of hope they don't just turn our ballot characters into outfits. :B

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There's no reason to believe that it isn't.

I wouldn't expect any ballot character to be shown until next Jan. anyway.

It was never guaranteed top voted characters would be playable for a reason.

Still plenty of time for popular characters to come from the ballot though.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
It was never guaranteed top voted characters would be playable for a reason.

Still plenty of time for popular characters to come from the ballot though.
This. While their popularity helps, some seem to think if you're the most popular, you're pretty much guaranteed. Now, that's not to say most popular characters can't be in, but I have a feeling we'll get legit ballot characters.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
This. While their popularity helps, some seem to think if you're the most popular, you're pretty much guaranteed. Now, that's not to say most popular characters can't be in, but I have a feeling we'll get legit ballot characters.
Correct.
It's a suggestion ballot, not a vote.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Even thought top voted characters are not necessarily given a spot on the roster and that even if they were to get a spot on the roster it would be much later, having an event like this just to increase publicity and not at all to determine dlc content makes degree of sense. If this is the case how would we ever know? It's just something to consider.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This is my belief of how DLC and the Ballot works...

Upon the reveal of the Smash Fighter Ballot and Lucas, there was probably a list of 'stuff' put together which we of the smash community refer to as 'pre-ballot' DLC...none of these have any bearing on the ballot's voting at the time this 'list' was written, considering the Ballot wasn't released until after this list was written...Once the ballot closes we may very well get some news regarding results or even new characters revealed to build up some excitement...Whatever we receive as non-playable fighter DLC should not affect a character's chances as a Ballot DLC...

If anything I think this improves K Rool's chances as it shows that he was in Sakurai's thoughts at least...or...perhaps it was easy to make because of a usable model he had for a playable character...Inklings could be in the same boat as they are also popular characters....Chrom while not likely to be DLC does have an exsisting model in game to work from for an easy Mii Outfit...

I do not believe that they are taking anything from the ballot right now...as it isn't finished yet...This August update is likely the last of 'pre-ballot' DLC, then we may not receive anything in terms of content and/or announcements until October around the ballot's closing...

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The ballot will give Sakurai a list of popular characters.

Sakurai will pick the one he thinks can be made most unique and is most suitable for his game.

We will not be shown the results.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
i believe they said would be used for the future of the series not just DLC
Not just Smash but "future games" in general. As such, high ranking characters can likely affect their appearances in future titles period. For example, with K. Rool now a Mii costume, odds are he's practically guaranteed to be appearing again in future Donkey Kong games, and maybe even in other Nintendo crossovers.

slambros

Smash Ace
I even sent them a suggestion for a Mario & Luigi RPG style Ice Climbers game during my vote for Ice Climbers. I believe this Smash Ballot is a secret way of saying 'let's get in touch with our friends and use ideas from them'. Heck, might as well sneak in desires for the next console while they're reading everyone's votes. Who knows what could inspire them.

Edit: I got that Ice Climbers game idea from someone else in the Ice Climbers thread. I don't remember who he was, but he deserves the credit for the idea.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
It was never "the #1 gets in."
It was more like a suggestion box. I'm pretty sure that most of the newcomers from here on out will be Top 10 or so.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Its possible the characters you thought where the most popular weren't actually the most popular. Also possible that these Mii Fighter costumes where already decided and they haven't looked at the ballot yet.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Actually this is something I considered too.

Not every person who voted probably frequents a Smash Bros. speciality website like here or Reddit's dedicated Smash area after all.
Let's not forget casuals probably voting for iconic and yet not as popular characters like Toad, Daisy, Waluigi, Goomba, etc.

Speculator

Smash Ace
It's legitimate, but by no means is it a democratic vote. Sakurai and the dev team still have the ultimate say in what they decide to develop. It's just a way for them to gauge fan interest in certain series and characters. Shovel Knight is going to be way up there near the top, but the chances of him ever becoming playable are practically zero.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Fans will send in the characters that they want to see, and then Sakurai will turn the highest-ranked Kid Icarus character into a playable character while making everyone else into costumes.

Seriously, I think it's legitimate for the most part. While I feel like really obscure characters, non-video game characters, or characters who already have a role in the game outside of a trophy won't be considered, and this nonsense with K. Rool throws a monkey wrench into things if it actually means that he won't be playable, it seems like characters who are popular and have good reasons for their inclusion will be considered.

Top Bottom