• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is SSE related to Super Mario Bros. 2?

Remember those potions in Mario bros 2? They opened a door to a place called 'The Subspace.' Do you think there's a connection between that and SSE? Or is nintendo uncreative?

yes, the main world was subcon. But when you used to potion to make a door, you went to a place that was basicly a mirror image of the place you were before. It was dark and you'd get mushrooms and coins there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...The world in Super Mario 2 is SUBCON, not SUBSPACE...

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Subspace is an actual word, thus can be used in different situations. That's like saying "Super Smash Bros." and "Superman" have some relation due to the usage of "super".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Subspace is an actual word, thus can be used in different situations. That's like saying "Super Smash Bros." and "Superman" have some relation due to the usage of "super".
Your missing the point that they are both Nintendo games, with Mario/ Nintendo characters in it. IN Nintendo/ Mario worlds

It COULD actually be related

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Yeah, but what he's saying is can they be a correlation because they are both Nintendo games. They could possibly be pulling some stuff from SMB2, like, well, possibly using potions to enter it?

Emissary definitions:
1. a representative sent on a mission or errand: emissaries to negotiate a peace.
2. an agent sent on a mission of a secret nature, as a spy.
3. Anatomy. sending or coming out, as certain veins that pass through the skull and connect the venous sinuses inside with the veins outside.
4. pertaining to an emissary.

So, it would mean 'Somone sent on a mission to subspace,' which would mean the subspace is a place. Since SSB is a mish-mosh of nintendo, I think that they're talking about the place in Mario 2.

VideoGamer713

Smash Cadet
That is a stupid comparison, cause Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are both nintendo owned games that both include Mario, like the previous post said. Oh and they both have "Super" and "Bros." in their names, lol.

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol, it would be funny if it turnes out to be the place of Mario Bros 2. And it would mean Wart & Birdo have to occur, that would be really awesome, but it doesn't look like it'll be like that.

The Subspace room from Mario Bros 2 was always very dark and such, but the levels we've seen so far look pretty nice (jungle..). Well, maybe they haven't entered the subspace in those levels, but it would probably mean the game's HUUGEE!

I don't think it's related.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
lol, it would be funny if it turnes out to be the place of Mario Bros 2. And it would mean Wart & Birdo have to occur, that would be really awesome, but it doesn't look like it'll be like that.

The Subspace room from Mario Bros 2 was always very dark and such, but the levels we've seen so far look pretty nice (jungle..). Well, maybe they haven't entered the subspace in those levels, but it would probably mean the game's HUUGEE!

I don't think it's related.
I don't think you get the SE...

The SE Army invade the Smash world, which is made of of Nintendo worlds....

Then use the bombs to sent areas into Subspace.

The dark vortex that consumes certain areas means it's in Subspace. We haven't actually seen what IN the Subspace looks like yet

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The view on Sub-con in the Mario World is rather strange consider in JPN it wasn't originally a mario game at all. The original Super Mario Bros 2 in JPN (Lost Levels, here) was originally thought to be too hard for an American audiance so they slapped Mario all over a game called Doki Doki Panic. I don't know if it could be considered the same subspace

But then again in Melee that didn't stop them from involving Mario Bros USA (What they call Super Mario Bros 2 in JPN) in the mistd to things, I wonder if anyone in JPN even cared about Doki Doki Panic in its original form.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
The view on Sub-con in the Mario World is rather strange consider in JPN it wasn't originally a mario game at all. The original Super Mario Bros 2 in JPN (Lost Levels, here) was originally thought to be too hard for an American audiance so they slapped Mario all over a game called Doki Doki Panic. I don't know if it could be considered the same subspace

But then again in Melee that didn't stop them from involving Mario Bros USA (What they call Super Mario Bros 2 in JPN) in the mistd to things, I wonder if anyone in JPN even cared about Doki Doki Panic in its original form.
...But we aren't talking about the world of SMB2 in general. We're talking aboht that world that you enter when you use a potion to get the door: "Sub-Space."

And yeah, we all know about the history of SMB2. lol.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
OMG i just figured something out.....ANCIENT MINISTER=WART!!!!11!1111eleven!

But seriously, Such a bright, friendly location like Sub-Con(Space) could have been Corrupted by the Ancient Minister or something like that...

Chepe

Smash Lord
I knew this, but the word Subspace seems generic enough for an interdimensional thing, so I thought they just went with it because they used the word before...

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Your missing the point that they are both Nintendo games, with Mario/ Nintendo characters in it. IN Nintendo/ Mario worlds

It COULD actually be related
I see. But even so, Super Mario Bros. 2 is just 1 game while SSE combines multiple worlds into one epic adventure. I doubt SMB2 would have THAT much of an impact, especially on adventure mode's name...

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
You guys do know that "Mario bros 2" in america is actually another game in japan with mario characters pasted on top of them for Americans..

Also The world in Mario bros 2 = "SubCon" which is short for Subconscious, because in the end it was all a dream.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
You guys do know that "Mario bros 2" in america is actually another game in japan with mario characters pasted on top of them for Americans..

Also The world in Mario bros 2 = "SubCon" which is short for Subconscious, because in the end it was all a dream.
Dude, have you read the thread?! We aren't talking about Subcon! lol.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
*Falls on face*

Oh I thought people were actually debating this lol.
lol. Well, we were talking about that world with the mushrooms and coins (Sub-Space), saying that it might be the same Subspace. Or they could have referenced it.

Sorry. You're like the fifth person to say it's Subcon. But that's not even what we're talking about. lol.

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.....Maybe. Wart could be in as a boss.

WART CONFURMD 4 BRAWL!!!!!!!111111oneshift!! =P

And to counter NDUDE: Hey, this is Sakurai. He is the most obscure game director since Suda 51. .....Bad comparison. Anyways, it could. We don't know, we can just speculate.

Actually, the word Emissary combined with this topic.....

The Ancient Minister is actually a messanger to the group and is trying to tell them about Wart without Wart actually knowing he's being betrayed. .......It'd be cool....

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Remember those potions in Mario bros 2? They opened a door to a place called 'The Subspace.' Do you think there's a connection between that and SSE? Or is nintendo uncreative?
The place was called subcon, short for subconcious. This was a land of dreams, whether nightmarish or friendly. (mostly nightmarish, **** wart)

Subspace is something entirely different, but why dont we just wait until Feb 10th (Or Jan 24th) to find out why.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Dammit, READ THE THREAD! Please. lol.

Im sorry, i belive I was just answering his question in my own way, as far as I read he wasnt entirely convinced by your answer, nor should I expect him to be convinced by mine if such is the case.

Either way, this was my input, I dont believe it needed a retort.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Im sorry, i belive I was just answering his question in my own way, as far as I read he wasnt entirely convinced by your answer, nor should I expect him to be convinced by mine if such is the case.

Either way, this was my input, I dont believe it needed a retort.
I wasn't being mean. lol.

Basically, the land with the mushrooms and coins and stuff is called SUB-SPACE! And the regular land is called Subcon.

He was saying that... well, I've said it enough.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I wasn't being mean. lol.

Basically, the land with the mushrooms and coins and stuff is called SUB-SPACE! And the regular land is called Subcon.

He was saying that... well, I've said it enough.

Ah that place, yes well, I dont think theyre related, that would be WAY too under-creative on Sakurai's part.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I guess... I mean, it would be cool for them to reference it after not being referenced in years, not counting Melee's stage.
I loved the game, dont get me wrong. Im sure it will be referenced, and most likely be a land in SSE.

Cmon, Im sure Wart will be a boss, so no worries there.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I think it's 100% coincidence, although Wart being behind SSE would certainly be a (previously) unexpected twist. Personally, I don't think there will be any connection, but that is an interesting thought nonetheless.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Super Mario 2 is not even a real Mario game. It is Doki Doki Panic with Mario sprites placed over it. While it was a decent game I don't think they would base the entirety of the new adventure mode of Brawl on this strange game that was not originally intended to be what it is. Plus its a Mario game and while SSB is heavily Mario, it is NOT a Mario game.

Top Bottom