• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Sonic overrated?

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
Ok, I know this is the sonic forum, but please..
All around th eboards and on the youtube comments, people say sonic is so good and cool and fast. I just can't see that..

First, I think the super sonic is just pitiful. It is boring to watch, and after I saw it once, I was like, ok, when is this going to end?

Also, he is supposed to be fast, but he doesn't look that fast.. and his jumps are so bad.

Now, I really like sonic as a character. I played Sonic adventure 2 Battle and I loved it, even though Sonic Heros was kind of strange.. But I really like him as a charcter. I just think a lot more could have been done for him in Brawl.
There is a possibility that he willl be good, and he is just being played poorly by people who picked up the game for the first time and were just pressing buttons. Like those booth babes.. wow..
Anyway. That's my opinion.

(gets on flame repelling clothing)

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I agree with you actually.

Now before the fanboys get angry, I've been wanting to play Sonic since 64 days. With all the hype that has been coming from others, the urge has died down to nothing now. Online play I can see is going to be filled with Sonic's, and he's no doubt going to be an overused character.

I look forward to unlocking him and trying him out, but definently not going to be a main.
He's going to be an interesting character also to play, so we'll just have to see, and I'm sure that the players will work it out and master his speed. The dev's did say however, it's going to take alot to get used to his super speed.

I do believe however that his presense in SSBB is necessary, and that he should've been here long before. Glad the old boy finally made it. :D

Chill

Red
BRoomer
If anything I'd think he's underated. Most people don't seem to like the way he controls or how he performs in the air. Or perhaps those who dislike Sonic are just more vocal.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Thank you for not closing this.. that is another thing, his air game. It is kid of disappointing. You'd think that nair would be like a homing, fast, high priority attack or something..

And when he got hit, he'd not gain percentage, he'd just lose rings...

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Thank you for not closing this.. that is another thing, his air game. It is kid of disappointing. You'd think that nair would be like a homing, fast, high priority attack or something..

And when he got hit, he'd not gain percentage, he'd just lose rings...
He already has one homing move, amiright?

And besides, putting sonic in SSB is a make or break, sure he runs at the speed of sound, but it's hard to not make him overpowered or underpowered in a game like this. They had to do many drawbacks to his character design to make him "fair" for gameplay.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Dang,at least wait till we get the game before you start making crazy assumptions.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Those are just crazy Sonic fanboys on those sites. You won't find it much in the actual Sonic thread (Unless you look at the pages that were just sped across when Sonic was confirmed. Seriously about 100 pages in 1 day)

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Gimpy said he was one of the best at the demo, and he was trying to keep bias out as much as he could. Then again, that could be pointed out as part of the 'overrating', so I'll pick a different point.

Sonic has been said unanimously to be the fastest character in the game. For many people, the speed was a character's make-or-break point in melee. While this isn't melee, you can't say that there won't be similarities. Speed is an important aspect in my Melee game (CF main), and I believe that this will carry over into Brawl.

So no, I don't think he's overrated. At least for me, anyway.

Cless

Smash Champion
Sonic is the fastest runner. Not the fastest period.

I tend to not read hype, or at least I try not to. Sonic is my favorite video game character ever, and I am going to use him, but I doubt he'll be top tier or anything like that.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
(Cless)^^^Are people exaggerating how slow he is in the air?

I mean in the classic sonic games, he was only floaty in the air if you had not already been running when you jumped.... He was floaty only if you had just been standing or moving slow.

If you were sprinting/running and THEN jumped, he would move a lot faster through the air. I'm fairly sure it will work like this in Brawl.

So as long as you keep momentum on the ground, this will transfer over in the air... I believe this is the case, and this just wasn't very clear to see in the videos. He will be the fastest in general character.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Let's not forget that Brawl is supposed to be slower than Melee because of floatiness, according to Gimpy and some others. If Sonic was "super fast", it could mean one of these two things:

1) Everyone is generally slower in the air, but sonic is more of a throwback to Melee.
2) Sonic's running speed can be used as a mindgame?

Also, SolidSonic has a point with the momentum theory, as it is what controls your air dodging as well.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Sonic is severely underrated, especially since everybody ignores his post 1994 2-D Sonic games.

What's made of lose and fail are his idiotic and fail fanboys. They give him REALLY bad rep and the reason why his popularity has waned.

Super_Mario

Smash Rookie
Speed is one of the most important factors in a character in any fighting game. We all know how melee was, the speedy characters were usually more used and considered better than slower ones because even though they didnt hit as hard, they hit more often and were able to rack up the damage quickly sot hat they could get a ko easy. Sonic is going to be a character that may be one of the best. He is definetly not underrated lol. Thats crazy, all the talk around him, and the hype, and him being one of the most wanted character to be added to this game, that does not equal being underrated. Overrated isnt a bad thing either. He can end up being really great, but not that god like character some people expected.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic is severely underrated, especially since everybody ignores his post 1994 2-D Sonic games.

What's made of lose and fail are his idiotic and fail fanboys. They give him REALLY bad rep and the reason why his popularity has waned.
Hit the target with this post.

I am a Sonic Fanboy, no doubt about it, but unlike many other fanboys I tend to have decency and morality when it comes to this kinda thing.

I'm maining Sonic of course by the way.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Well, Sonic is actually underrated, but is Sega's fault, making his games go bad.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The series really went bad when they started going into Sonic Heroes. I loved Sonic Adventure Battle 2 on the gamecube, however, and the prequel. Not to mention the first game I've played in my life was Sonic I on the sega genesis.

I think they might have captured his character good on brawl, but people who expect him as a god-like character will be dissapointed. He'll be an interesting one to try out nonetheless, and I can see him being one of the last characters unlocked.

katanagash

Smash Apprentice
I personally think that Sonic's FS makes him very overpowered. It's the type of move that basically means "You're all gonna die, ha ha ha, I win". It is too unavoidable and it pretty much makes wavedashing look legit. Meta Knight's FS deserves more kudos due to the skill that it requires.

Garuda

Smash Ace
I personally think that Sonic's FS makes him very overpowered. It's the type of move that basically means "You're all gonna die, ha ha ha, I win". It is too unavoidable and it pretty much makes wavedashing look legit. Meta Knight's FS deserves more kudos due to the skill that it requires.
... That's why they call it "FINAL Smash".

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace

That's completely true, It's like his 2D games never existed. NO ONE believed me when I said Knuckles had a Hyper mode like Sonic has a Super mode. All they knew were the 3d Sonic games where Sonic is that star and the only one seen to acctually ever transform through the emeralds.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
Not necessarily you can cancel a hit from Super Sonic.

Peach's Final Smash seems to be unavoidable. EVERYONE seems to end up on the floor sleeping.

Mario's seems to take up the whole field.

Fox's is a freaking land master which is probably going to be as big as all the levels

It's not over powered at all. It's one of the few that can accually be stopped

Malificent

Smash Apprentice
Considering both Huggz and Killa OR had a chance to V.I.P. the game at E for All, and they both put sonic in their top 5, I think he will be a pretty solid toon.

Cless

Smash Champion
Speed is one of the most important factors in a character in any fighting game. We all know how melee was, the speedy characters were usually more used and considered better than slower ones because even though they didnt hit as hard, they hit more often and were able to rack up the damage quickly sot hat they could get a ko easy. Sonic is going to be a character that may be one of the best. He is definetly not underrated lol. Thats crazy, all the talk around him, and the hype, and him being one of the most wanted character to be added to this game, that does not equal being underrated. Overrated isnt a bad thing either. He can end up being really great, but not that god like character some people expected.
One word, Potemkin.

Anyways, to dodge Peach's Final Smash, you have to use a complicated technique called jump. Also, most Final Smash's can be avoided by jumping really high, or so I've read anyway.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Good options + Speed = definitely top tier.

Also Potemkin is slow, but it's his only real weakness. He has options, good set-ups and good combos.

Cless

Smash Champion
Take a look at Chipp though. He has speed and he can't do anything since he does no damage and takes too much damage. Just trying to say that speed isn't everything.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I said something about options too didn't I?

As in combos, varying ways to approach, set-ups, etc. >_>

And giving damage and taking damage isn't in the equation in Smash so you can't really talk about that for this game.

Cless

Smash Champion
Chipp has options. It's just that none of them result in doing very much damage, and I didn't really understand your last sentence. I am stupid, so it's probably me.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There is no real damage per se in SSB series. Plus damage won't decide the victor.

Cless

Smash Champion
There's damage; just not health, but you're right. The characters that do the most damage don't always win.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Good options + Speed = definitely top tier.

Also Potemkin is slow, but it's his only real weakness. He has options, good set-ups and good combos.
Wow, not really. I mean in melee, but I mean, later on in the game I saw quite a few pechs and ganons that could beat fox and falco. Because people are getting smarter, speed is less important. And there hopefully won't even be a tier list in brawl...

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Wow, not really. I mean in melee, but I mean, later on in the game I saw quite a few pechs and ganons that could beat fox and falco. Because people are getting smarter, speed is less important. And there hopefully won't even be a tier list in brawl...
There's always a tier list.

Anyway, what some people don't notice that most of the characters in Brawl don't move as fast as they did in melee. But Sonic moves faster than anyone would have in the last game. That's a unique ability, which I'm sure will lend itself well to highlevel playing.

Oh, and BTW: I main Chipp in GGXX. And I have a funny habit of winning.

Cless

Smash Champion
Kudos to you then. It takes a lot of effort to win with him.

straight8, I don't think you fully understood that equation. Fox and Falco have very good options and are very fast, thus they are top tier. Peach has many things that she can do at any given time at her disposal, so she's high on the tier list. Any fighting game that has character differentiation is going to have a tier list. The idea is to have most of the characters on the same tier or to not have too much space in between the tiers.

Top Bottom