• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash Ultimate a Waste of Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Why would you take his word for it when he’s only got 44 followers? Please learn to look up real critics.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Will you derive pleasure and enjoyment from it? If so, it's hardly a waste. If not, it could be a personal waste.

I certainly will enjoy the game, for the forseeable future, so it is anything but.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Considering the game's total number of playable fighters, stages and alterations to said stages, all items, assists, etc.; not to mention the entirety of World of Light, I'd say you would have to be pretty damn parsimonious to consider this game a "waste of money." Sure, one may not like the content, but for the quantity of content alone, this game ought to cost more than it does. I can assure you that this game will be more than worth the price.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I mean all video games are a waste of money if you're living on the breadline.

Since you're a fan of the series(and presumably have enough spare cash to buy the game without seriously risking starvation or homelessness), I'd argue probably not a waste of money since you'll likely enjoy something about the game.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't know who that is or why their opinion should matter to me, but ultimately ( heh ) it being worth the money or not largely depends on your priorities. Me? I very much value my entertainment and being a colossal Nintendo Fanboy, Smash Bros games are an event that doesn't happen so often and I would never miss one for the world, even if they cost a solid hundred.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
It's one of the most jam-packed games ever. Unless you want to go into whether video games or just having fun for money equals waste... there is no point to this discussion.

For most of us Ultimate will mean we pay 0.006 cents per hour of pleasure with the game.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This guy on Twitter with only 44 followers? Don't listen to him. Buy the game if it looks like you'll enjoy it. This person is either salty their most wanted didn't get in or they're a Nintendo hater trying to troll. Saying "________ sucks!" Holds no credibility.

D

Deleted member

some rando on Twitter says Ultimate is trash, cancelling my preorder as I type this

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
All non essential things and novelty products are a "waste" of money.
Anything you buy that you don't need, to survive, is a waste of money.
However, people can spend their money on whatever they damn well please.

Are you a child? Did you need to make this a thing?
All a topic like this does is rile people up. That guy has a crappy sense of "value" in entertainment.

Smash Ultimate may have "less" single player modes to cater to the friendless jobbers out there but the game oozes multiplayer content.
The modes and the gameplay especially make for a damn good time.

This isn't Soul Calibur 5 or MvC infinite and it certainly isn't Street Fighter 5 where they dropped the ball by not adding the arcade modes and where characters from the franchise from a longstanding time got cut. You can't balance and judge every game along the same standards. Street Fighter 5 came out practically bare bones, Mvc Infinite dropped half the roster size and cut the X-men from their practically X-Men and friends vs capcom based franchise, SoulCalibur 5 took a dump on fans expectations on character development within the lore of the franchise and bastardized two characters by turning them into edgemaster clones while still having edgemaster in the game. Three mimic characters doesn't make for a good time. Smash Ultimate doesn't have those problems. In fact, Smash Ultimate doesn't have any glaring flaws at all.

This game has every character ever introduced to the franchise and the largest library of stages and music based content to date for smash. Couple that with the online options, the single player world of light mode, the numerous match customization and modes you can enjoy with friends... why did you even ask?

Sure, they cut out all the unnecessary extra fluff that had one purpose, and only served to entertain you when you were bored. It's a game. Games are entertainment. Entertainment is an outlet you utilize when you have extra time on your hands and/or are bored. We don't "need" more modes to do what the game already is supposed to do.

Stage builder, we have 300+ stages please get over it. They'd screw it up again anyway, it's always been lack luster.

Break the targets, it was awful in Sm4sh 3ds/WiiU, Melee style is doable but why waste time on that when we can focus on other more important things like the characters being created and brought back to the franchise? This game started development in 2015, three years dammit. That's short as heII. How they made Melee in two I'll never even know (started development while finishing up smash64 I guess). No wonder it was a buggy mess.

Trophies? Who cares, move on. Google the spirits names if you want a damn history lesson. Let the developers develop the actual experience of the game instead of tacking in needless hours by making static gallery dust collectors.

Are we missing anything else? I'm sure someone will remind me.
You made a post about two lines of text. There was no elaboration, there was no conversation or statement supporting his decision. He doesn't want the game, more power to him, he can go play something else. You making a thread about it is what I'm confused about.

You don't really care about our opinion on if this game is a waste of money or not. You just wanted to spice things up a bit. Transparent, but I appreciate you letting me throw some salt.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Someone on Twitter said it's not worth the money but I say it is
OP clenches their wallet in confusion
"Who is right???" they ask as they quiver in fear, paralyzed by two opposing opinions
"I'm powerless... I can't judge the game using my own opinions to decide..."
OP is still shaking on the floor, drenched in sweat, unable to move as we speak

ThatGreenPigeon

Smash Cadet
IDC how ****ty the game is im moving to mexico to play it on the 6th get destroyed community.

BTW its going to be one of the best soooo

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
IDC how ****ty the game is im moving to mexico to play it on the 6th get destroyed community.

BTW its going to be one of the best soooo
Just jailbreak your switch and download a leaked copy online if you wanna play that badly.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
This reminds me of a guy who said no one would buy the WiiU version of smash because they would just play on 3ds.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There are plenty of threads that actually has engaging discussion about this topic instead of one based on someone’s tweet. Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom