• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash Brothers 4 doubles dead already??? (funny video)

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
This video is HILARIOUS HAHAH, makes you wonder if doubles will continue after this nonsense!

the8thark

Smash Lord
So people who want to main G&W in doubles get shafted because Sakurai left this in the game?

ShredPix

Smash Cadet
there's absolutely no reason to ban G&W just for having an interesting doubles strategy
Interesting? This is basic and boring. The whole match devolves into seeing who can bucket Thunder first (and proven by these teams, it doesn't take much as neither are too good with Pika GDubs). I don't say ban G&W, but just ban GDubs-Pika. Don't want to see all of Doubles devolve into this.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
While clearly a feat that has no place in the competitive scene, I can see this becoming a fun "mini game" in the same light as the Villager tree smash potato.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Imagine this with Panic Overload. Have you seen how big Panic overload is? it's about2 bowsers high and at least 3 wide. And since it is slightly slower, you can see your impending doom like a black tsunami, roll away, get thrown into it by pika and die cause it lingers longer.

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Everyone here is acting like this is the end-all strategy for Smash 4 doubles. This is nothing more than a powerful gimmick that can be avoided and played around. Don't ban just yet, wait for people to find counters to this strategy. If it really becomes out of hand after a half a year or so, just ban the team, not a whole character.

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Everyone here is acting like this is the end-all strategy for Smash 4 doubles. This is nothing more than a powerful gimmick that can be avoided and played around. Don't ban just yet, wait for people to find counters to this strategy. If it really becomes out of hand after a half a year or so, just ban the team, not a whole character.
Too late. japan banned G@W in doubles because he can do it with anyone who has a strong projectile. I don't think he's unbanned. The strategy isn't broken but very flexible. Mega Man, Samus, Charge Blaster Fox Fire Orb mario are just examples of how bad it could be. Now combine it with panic Overload, which is like a Tsunami of STRONGER OIL that takes time to expand to "balance" it. Still Japan please don't be like Smogon and ban what you can't beat. wait for people to find ways around it.

But if it's really a problem they can restrict G@W to instant bucket,(abosorbs one projectile, smaller oil and 1.5 multiplier rather than 2.5). If it's still a problem, which it won't be since it will be doing a max of about 12% with low range, then they can ban OIl Bucket, as in if it's done by accident it has to be emptied. As in a series of nerfs(the waySsmogon did with baton Pass, even when the real problem was one guy getting past the nerfs and topping the ladder.) rather than insta-ban the source. What do you think?

Then again Smogon banned a pokemon(Aegislash) just to be able to ban more stuff. A mod there said that and got 100+ likes over 3 days so Japan isn't there yet...

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
Can oil panic be reflected in this iteration? If so, then between reflects and counters, this can also spell death to the G&W.

Plus, there's always the need to see just how unbalanced this is. It could just end up being a gimmick that won't work once people know how to fight it.

Even if it does end up being a major problem in tournaments, as the previous poster mentioned, there is a solution to only allow the weaker bucket custom move for G&W. That should really only happen if it's proven the strategy is broken and ruining doubles. Outright banning G&W though is a little much at this point when forcing the custom move is a better option.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Too late. japan banned G@W in doubles because he can do it with anyone who has a strong projectile. I don't think he's unbanned. The strategy isn't broken but very flexible. Mega Man, Samus, Charge Blaster Fox Fire Orb mario are just examples of how bad it could be. Now combine it with panic Overload, which is like a Tsunami of STRONGER OIL that takes time to expand to "balance" it. Still Japan please don't be like Smogon and ban what you can't beat. wait for people to find ways around it.

But if it's really a problem they can restrict G@W to instant bucket,(abosorbs one projectile, smaller oil and 1.5 multiplier rather than 2.5). If it's still a problem, which it won't be since it will be doing a max of about 12% with low range, then they can ban OIl Bucket, as in if it's done by accident it has to be emptied. As in a series of nerfs(the waySsmogon did with baton Pass, even when the real problem was one guy getting past the nerfs and topping the ladder.) rather than insta-ban the source. What do you think?

Then again Smogon banned a pokemon(Aegislash) just to be able to ban more stuff. A mod there said that and got 100+ likes over 3 days so Japan isn't there yet...
Are the projectiles you mentioned capable of filling up Game and Watch's bucket in one move? If not, then they should be fine; if you're letting the other team be able to fill Game and Watch's bucket three times by themselves, then most likely your team deserves to lose haha

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
This is just the beginning of the potential horizon. Triple and quadruples will have move combos beyond our wildest dreams!

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Are the projectiles you mentioned capable of filling up Game and Watch's bucket in one move? If not, then they should be fine; if you're letting the other team be able to fill Game and Watch's bucket three times by themselves, then most likely your team deserves to lose haha
They can. Each slot takes 6%, so Thunder is just a failsafe method. In the case that Thunder stales enough so it doesn't do enough damage the multi-hit will still help. But in a Bruiser vs Bruiser, by lowering defense enough Mario's Fireball went over 20% in damage, and filled up all three buckets. This also applies to panic Overload, but not Instant Panic for obvious reasons.
Wouldn't it be easier to either ban the technique or ban Pika and Game and Watch from teaming together??
No.:4gaw:+:4megaman:,:4greninja:,:4samus:,:4zss:, Piercing Bow:4pit::4darkpit:, Charge Blaster :4fox:, Anything:4falco:, Autoreticle:4palutena:,:4wiifit:, Orb version:4drmario::4mario:, ArcThunder/Thoron/ Thunder+ Elthunder:4robinm:and :4zelda:(possibly:4luigi: too) Are still combos that can possibly fill up the bucket. And I'm sure i missed a few(:4kirby: is too hard for me and my friends to test it.) But that's a big list. If it becomes a problem, I really don't want to ban G&W, so let's force him to use Instant Bucket(1 slot oil that's smaller range with 1.5 or 2* multiplier.) if it's a problem. Or ban Oil Panic If a 12% or so damage oil is still too much, which it won't be.

tl;dr There are a ton of people :4gaw: can do this with. If it's really bad merf the Oil to Instant Panic. Or whatever the smaller, weaker, 1 slot Panic is called.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
They can. Each slot takes 6%, so Thunder is just a failsafe method. In the case that Thunder stales enough so it doesn't do enough damage the multi-hit will still help. But in a Bruiser vs Bruiser, by lowering defense enough Mario's Fireball went over 20% in damage, and filled up all three buckets. This also applies to panic Overload, but not Instant Panic for obvious reasons.

No.:4gaw:+:4megaman:,:4greninja:,:4samus:,:4zss:, Piercing Bow:4pit::4darkpit:, Charge Blaster :4fox:, Anything:4falco:, Autoreticle:4palutena:,:4wiifit:, Orb version:4drmario::4mario:, ArcThunder/Thoron/ Thunder+ Elthunder:4robinm:and :4zelda:(possibly:4luigi: too) Are still combos that can possibly fill up the bucket. And I'm sure i missed a few(:4kirby: is too hard for me and my friends to test it.) But that's a big list. If it becomes a problem, I really don't want to ban G&W, so let's force him to use Instant Bucket(1 slot oil that's smaller range with 1.5 or 2* multiplier.) if it's a problem. Or ban Oil Panic If a 12% or so damage oil is still too much, which it won't be.

tl;dr There are a ton of people :4gaw: can do this with. If it's really bad merf the Oil to Instant Panic. Or whatever the smaller, weaker, 1 slot Panic is called.
Instant bucket does pose a decent solution. But I'm still a little confused, sorry. Are you saying one Autoreticle from Palutena can fill up the bucket in one swoop? I'd like to think that if you're allowing Game and Watch to fill up his bucket three separate times with the help of your teammate, then that's fine. Instantly filling it up is a no-go, obivously. This also brings up whether the Oil Panic 3 (the big one with a big multiplier) should be banned in doubles

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
While clearly a feat that has no place in the competitive scene, I can see this becoming a fun "mini game" in the same light as the Villager tree smash potato.

Imagine 8-player smash potato on wii u version. Only villager, final destination and no items... It would be insane!!

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Instant bucket does pose a decent solution. But I'm still a little confused, sorry. Are you saying one Autoreticle from Palutena can fill up the bucket in one swoop? I'd like to think that if you're allowing Game and Watch to fill up his bucket three separate times with the help of your teammate, then that's fine. Instantly filling it up is a no-go, obivously. This also brings up whether the Oil Panic 3 (the big one with a big multiplier) should be banned in doubles
I think it should. And why is instant fill a no-go when the multiplier, base damage, range and speed are all reduced to compensate for an already bad effect that has the potential to be good? Not better, but good. It says Panic Overload has a smaller absorption range, where the whole bucket is the range rather than an area around it. It also has to expand slowly.

I mean, one Custom's trash, the other's (bannable) treasure. What kind of crap balancing team is Namco Bandai?

And Yes Autoreticle can fill it up because 3 slots, 4 shots. G&W does take about 2% though. ANd you can intercept if and take 8% in exchange for preserving life.

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Or just turn off friendly fire instead of banning characters...
This. Just this. I don't even see why it's on, and befre i should be told to do better research, searching Friendly Fire lands me a few threads about telling someone to do research, or no matter how bad G&W is, Frindly Fire off would be worse. Why? Just why is it on?

wah543

Smash Rookie
I never understood by competitive play has friendly fire on, does anyone know why?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I never understood by competitive play has friendly fire on, does anyone know why?
It's so that you don't have silly situations occur from being invulnerable to your partner's attacks. Like where one guy is beating up on everyone while his partner stands back and spams projectiles that are guaranteed to not hurt him. It's also more interesting to play and watch because you have to be mindful of your partner being on the stage and can lead to some fun combinations.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Oh yeah, If you wanted a funny video, this would have done much better

If you want a useful post, look below:

Literally the title says it all. Doubles will survive, however i guarantee that some nerf will come into place eventually, like the Efficient Panic method, which increases the variety of methods to do the strategy but makes it laughably weak and smaller in range.

We should have a poll that in the case that some nerf or ban does happen, how you would want it to happen:
1. Ban G&W
2. No using Oil Panic(if it happens, dump it somewhere safe.)
3. Nerf to Efficient Panic.
4. Ban G&W+Pika. it's by far the easiest method.
5. Friendly Fire Off
6. Other(please specify)

That's how i would do the poll, if one were to happen. Just my opinion. And i would choose 3. It would not ban anything while rendering the strategy tame.

Last edited:

wah543

Smash Rookie
It's so that you don't have silly situations occur from being invulnerable to your partner's attacks. Like where one guy is beating up on everyone while his partner stands back and spams projectiles that are guaranteed to not hurt him. It's also more interesting to play and watch because you have to be mindful of your partner being on the stage and can lead to some fun combinations.
But wouldn't it make that your partners attacks wouldn't hurt each other because you are working together and beating up everyone while spamming projectiles wouldn't that be considered a team combo or something?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
But wouldn't it make that your partners attacks wouldn't hurt each other because you are working together and beating up everyone while spamming projectiles wouldn't that be considered a team combo or something?
The point is to make people more careful. That way you can't charge mindlessly and do stupidly good combos. On the other hand, crap like this would disappear, and the lists i made above wouldn't matter anymore.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While not as broken as Game & Watch/Pikachu, similar chaos could ensue with a Rosalina/Pikachu team. Rosalina can make Thunder spin around her for a second using her Gravitational Pull. And it's pretty devastating.

I have not seen it used in a Doubles setting, but there could be some interesting strategies that come from that.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
While not as broken as Game & Watch/Pikachu, similar chaos could ensue with a Rosalina/Pikachu team. Rosalina can make Thunder spin around her for a second using her Gravitational Pull. And it's pretty devastating.

I have not seen it used in a Doubles setting, but there could be some interesting strategies that come from that.
Id just rather :4gaw::4megaman:. It's even more powerful than :4gaw::4pikachu:, and in some cases is easier to get done since it takes one hit to fill the bucket and only you can get it(no multi-hit bandwagoning).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Id just rather :4gaw::4megaman:. It's even more powerful than :4gaw::4pikachu:, and in some cases is easier to get done since it takes one hit to fill the bucket and only you can get it(no multi-hit bandwagoning).
Well I know that the Game & Watch thing is really powerful but that's kinda why people would want it banned. It's basically a OHKO (if not, two).

Any projectile user X Game & Watch is just gonna go with bucket filling, and any moves that fill the whole bucket in one hit will probably be considered broken by many, and as a result G&W pairing up with those characters will be banned.

I just want to see someone apply Thunder X Gravitational Pull, because that doesn't make the Thunder anymore powerful, as far as I know. It does, however, greatly increase the range of the Thunder, and since Thunder has a meteor effect in this game, the technique could make off-stage KOs really effective for a Rosalina/Pikachu team. We might need to figure out a way for Pikachu to avoid getting hit by his own attack, though, since friendly fire would be on, and Gravitational Pull makes Rosalina the owner of the Thunder.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Well I know that the Game & Watch thing is really powerful but that's kinda why people would want it banned. It's basically a OHKO (if not, two).

Any projectile user X Game & Watch is just gonna go with bucket filling, and any moves that fill the whole bucket in one hit will probably be considered broken by many, and as a result G&W pairing up with those characters will be banned.
Or we could try my method of Efficient Panic, where you have to use the custom that absorbs one projectile only, has less range, a 1.5* multiplier, and i think may be slower. I am fine with nerfs, but i don't like bans.

Unfortunately, my above list of people that can pair with G&W is so big that my method will likely end up overlooked and G&W will get banned. He's not even Tournament legal in japanese Doubles.

I just want to see someone apply Thunder X Gravitational Pull, because that doesn't make the Thunder anymore powerful, as far as I know. It does, however, greatly increase the range of the Thunder, and since Thunder has a meteor effect in this game, the technique could make off-stage KOs really effective for a Rosalina/Pikachu team. We might need to figure out a way for Pikachu to avoid getting hit by his own attack, though, since friendly fire would be on, and Gravitational Pull makes Rosalina the owner of the Thunder.
That'd be so cool. I'd love to see that in a competitive match. but i think Pika being hit by thunder will be hard to acheive, so i don't think the issue will be that big.

Last edited:
Top Bottom