• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is Smash 3ds truly the point between Melee and Brawl?

Is it closer to Melee or Brawl?

• Melee

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Brawl

Votes: 82 77.4%

• Total voters

Zero_the_King

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0018-1600-5251
I'm questioning if this game will actually be faster than Brawl and if it has any competitive opportunities?

TheHidden

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4330-3482
While this topic has been discussed endlessly, in my opinion the competitive viability is there, but the thing that will truly decide if it actually develops a competitive community is, well the community itself, specially since the smash community is amongst the most polarized communities ever

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Most people agree it's closer to 64 than Brawl or Melee. It is competitively viable but the game will never reach the speed of melee again.

Renji64

Smash Lord
There is very little melee elements in this game. It is more closer to brawl than anything with a few bits of n64. It has mostly alot of brawl stuff people can use old brawl playstyles.

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
It's the middle ground between a Sakurai-intended Melee and Brawl, not the kind of Melee that the competitive community plays but the way that Sakurai envisioned.

Renanri

Smash Cadet
NNID
RuriAri
3DS FC
1049-1229-2048
Most people agree it's closer to 64 than Brawl or Melee. It is competitively viable but the game will never reach the speed of melee again.
This. People need to understand that Sakurai making another Smash that's the same speed as Melee is... extremely unlikely. He said it himself after all. This waypoint between Melee and Brawl with aspects of 64 is pretty healthy in my opinion. Not too fast, not too slow and floaty, a nice compromise! :4kirby:

Last edited:

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
It's more like Brawl I think, but I would say is between Melee and Brawl, more like N64.
I like it.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
It's not Melee. It's not Brawl. It's not inbetween. It's not even 64.

It's a brand new game.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
It doesnt matter if this game is closer to a past game. What matters is how well this game stands up on its own. Whether or not the community embraces it is up to them. Frankly the whole "Is it Brawl or Melee?" debate is getting old. It is neither. It is Smash 3DS.

Sybronx

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1392-6718-2632
It doesnt matter if this game is closer to a past game. What matters is how well this game stands up on its own. Whether or not the community embraces it is up to them. Frankly the whole "Is it Brawl or Melee?" debate is getting old. It is neither. It is Smash 3DS.
Yeees. It's settled. This new smash really is something else. It's definitely more competitive than brawl. More approachable and comprehendible than melee. These two new installments are a huge step in the series. Being able to play the game at your house, your friend's houses, and on the go is gonna go a long way in introducing many people to this fantastic series. Just wait and see, the spectrum of skill is going to increase over time as it always has. People adapt, it's just what we do. Sakurai will have to adapt as well with a new version of smash and my intuition tells me it's not likely he'll go slowing down the game again. I can only see it getting faster in the future, if only a little.

I will be thoroughly enjoying this game until the next title is released, and perhaps beyond. Time will tell.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Smash 4 feels more like a love letter to Smash 64 fans than either Brawl or Melee to me. That said, it is definitely closer to Brawl than to Melee

(Which is a good thing)

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
People need to stop asking or caring about this. Smash 4 is like Smash 4. Stop comparing it. Did you compare Brawl to Melee and 64 before it came out? No, it was just another Smash and that's enough for it to be amazing. Lock this thread please.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
People need to stop asking or caring about this. Smash 4 is like Smash 4. Stop comparing it. Did you compare Brawl to Melee and 64 before it came out? No, it was just another Smash and that's enough for it to be amazing. Lock this thread please.
Are we not allowed to...?

haydyn

Smash Cadet
well if you think about it the game is closer to melee because it has so many clones and the controls are faster than brawl and it has less content than brawl exactly like melee but ive only played the demo so il update tomorrow

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Many things are allowed. Doesn't mean you "should" do it.
Why shouldn't we?

Analogy is a faculty of the intellect, you expect us not to compare things which can be compared?
Edit: Calling for thread locking of an opinion or viewpoint that you don't believe is. . . silly.
And, actually, yes, people did compare Brawl to Melee and 64 before it came out. It merely happens that we have a greater ability to compare with more entries and observations, and that there is a large critical attitude within the community ever since the schism of '08, since it was demonstrated more that something could be not like the others.

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Oh ****ing stop. Bla bla bla. Smash 4 is like Smash 4. Stop being so ****ing stuck up and trying to learn about something you don't know yet. If you have a gun to your head, then say Project M. Otherwise you'll understand when the game comes out. You people don't have any limit. You should understand this without being told but if you can't then you should have listen to the early players like Zipzo. This is so ****ing pointless.

Last edited:

Paul the Octopus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-4913-3001
I dont understand why people say that this game is similar to 64. To me, some of 64's most distinguishing features were the incredible hitstun/combo potential (so many zero to death combos), completely lagless aerials (if you can't z cancel then I'm sorry but you suck - this doesn't even require timing ... you can literally just mash), and lack of escape options (fewer recovery options and NO air dodging).

This game is clearly closest to brawl in my opinion but thankfully it seems a little better.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Oh ****ing stop. Bla bla bla. Smash 4 is like Smash 4. Stop being so ****ing stuck up and trying to learn about something you don't know yet. If you have a gun to your head, then say Project M. Otherwise you'll understand when the game comes out. You people don't have any limit. You should understand this without being told but if you can't then you should have listen to the early players like Zipzo. This is so ****ing pointless.
Bro, there's no need to be hostile.
First of all, we do know. Comparison is a method the intellect uses to know. We do not have to hold the thing in our hands to know it exists, we don't have to have a direct physical connection to know its qualities. All we have to do is observe. We have observed that it is more like Brawl than like Melee, and more like Project M than like Melee, and more like Brawl than like Project M, and we can prove it. We can also prove it's 'much' closer to Brawl than Project M.
Meanwhile, you assert we cannot know, and you cannot prove that, therefore your statement is false.
Just because we have drawn different conclusions than those who are 'early players' does not make our observations or conclusions any less valid.
Furthermore, this is not pointless. It is not pointless because we have the opportunity to cast a shadow of doubt on people like you, so that we hope you would change your heart and know the truth more fully.

Edit: in light of the excellent MIOM stream yesterday, I have to say that this is not hating. I do not hate any Smash game. I 'love' Smash? No, I love the Smash community. One cannot wish what is best for a principle or law, since principles and laws are nothing but the best of themselves.

Last edited:

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
Ha.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I'm just curious, what about it makes people say it's close to the N64 version? Or, at the very least, has aspects of the N64 version?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I dont understand why people say that this game is similar to 64. To me, some of 64's most distinguishing features were the incredible hitstun/combo potential (so many zero to death combos), completely lagless aerials (if you can't z cancel then I'm sorry but you suck - this doesn't even require timing ... you can literally just mash), and lack of escape options (fewer recovery options and NO air dodging).

This game is clearly closest to brawl in my opinion but thankfully it seems a little better.
Which I don't mind too much. Clearly, this game has some cues from previous games without a doubt. More than likely from Brawl the most. But fortunately, it'll have a lot less campy through projectiles (will still be a bit defensive, but sacrificing offensive tactics is not a good idea) but potentially more off stage plays.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm just curious, what about it makes people say it's close to the N64 version? Or, at the very least, has aspects of the N64 version?
I don't get it either, they share very little.
Not that I wouldn't mind a return to 64 style, with massive hitstun and no landing lag at all and super important neutral game and massive shieldstun. Here's how Smash 64 goes: neutral neutral, first hit, swag swag swag, swag, lose a stock, repeat.
Here's how Smash 4 goes: neutral, neutral, low% combo, neutral, neutral neutral, the rare frame trap or ultra rare high% combo (swag?), almost kill but not quite kill, neutral, lose a stock randomly, repeat. Whereas Brawl is more like neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral lose a stock neutral neutral, repeat. No swag, y'know?

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Bla bla bla bla. Doesn't matter what you crazy people say. You will see when you play it. Smash 4 is Smash 4. Comparing it is pointless and you're just trying to bash it for no reason. Don't reply to me cause there's nothing you have to say to me.

Paul the Octopus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-4913-3001
Bla bla bla bla. Doesn't matter what you crazy people say. You will see when you play it. Smash 4 is Smash 4. Comparing it is pointless and you're just trying to bash it for no reason. Don't reply to me cause there's nothing you have to say to me.
What a thoughtful and innovative line of thinking.

Yay for willful ignorance!!!

Everything is the same quality and nothing is better than anything else. We are all unique snowflakes!!

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
What a thoughtful and innovative line of thinking.

Yay for willful ignorance!!!

Everything is the same quality and nothing is better than anything else. We are all unique snowflakes!!
No, no, we're not even snowflakes, for snowflakes share things, and therefore aren't unique in some way! We're unique nothings! Oh, wait, nothing has nothing in common, dang it, it's not unique.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Feels like what Brawl should have been.

Brawl > Melee.

Melee is amazing.

Smash 4 is the pinnacle.

:smash:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
It's not Melee. It's not Brawl. It's not inbetween. It's not even 64.

It's a brand new game.
Glad someone else than myself can recognize that lol :p If you want to play something akin to Brawl, Melee or 64, go play those respective games. SSB4 is it's own beast that combines many elements from past Smash Bros. games, yet ultimately comes out as it's own brand new game. At least, that's how I and some other's view it. Freaking sick and tired of people comparing it to other Smash Bros. games! DX

Brozinski

Smash Rookie
You don't have to be part of the dialogue if you don't want to. There are some (me included) who do enjoy making comparisons and discussing the similarities and differences.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Glad someone else than myself can recognize that lol :p If you want to play something akin to Brawl, Melee or 64, go play those respective games. SSB4 is it's own beast that combines many elements from past Smash Bros. games, yet ultimately comes out as it's own brand new game. At least, that's how I and some other's view it. Freaking sick and tired of people comparing it to other Smash Bros. games! DX
There's a difference between comparing games for relations & familiarity and using it as a weapon for a "vs" argument. Aim that message for the people on that second thought process.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I don't have a link, but I heard tale that there's a video examining the speed differences between this game and its past itorations. Someone should find that (can't right now, need to log out).

Hey, I totally agree with your line of thinking and don't see you as an idiot at all.

There hasn't even been much any bashing so far.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
It's perfectly reasonable to analyze whether the speed is closer to melee or brawl without saying the whole game is more like one or the other. I tend to think its speed is closer to brawl but not so much that it's a snorefest.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
There's a difference between comparing games for relations & familiarity and using it as a weapon for a "vs" argument. Aim that message for the people on that second thought process.
Fair enough :)

Brozinski

Smash Rookie
I don't have a link, but I heard tale that there's a video examining the speed differences between this game and its past itorations. Someone should find that (can't right now, need to log out).

Hey, I totally agree with your line of thinking and don't see you as an idiot at all.

There hasn't even been much any bashing so far.
Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Hm2nLQIxw

It's not actually that informative, though. It examines frame differences on veteran's attacks, and they're usually only 1-3 frames different.

Top Bottom