• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is sheik potentially the best character in the game?

red stone

Smash Ace
I heard that mango once said that sheik was the best character in the game. This sounds ridiculous to me as I've seen too many sheiks get dominated by fox. However, fox gets a pretty hard time from falco and sheik is okay against falco so maybe there is some merit to that statement.

give me your opinions. I would say no based on recovery alone

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik is fine vs Fox. Sheik vs Fox is just like a Sheik ditto in that Sheik isn't allowed to mess up her combo or she will probably get counterattacked and *****. And the same rule applies to Fox for the most part. Both of them have ludicrous punishment on each other, the capacity to get in on or wall the other out, etc. It's really gay. 60-60 MU.

I think Falco is easier in practice because it feels like every Falco is pretty meh at the MU except the two really good ones. But I might just be biased from experience here. I think Falco the character is fine vs Sheik and it's about even as well. Sheik has lame punishment, but so does Falco. Sheik has gay control tools, but so does Falco. Sheik has some really awful positions she can get stuck in, but so does Falco. Evenish MU.

Fox loses to Falco because combo damage IMO.

Sheik isn't the best character. But she's very close and best character changes a lot based on development so give me more time and we'll talk then.

Divine Fist

Smash Rookie
doesn't sheik feel cheap to anyone else?
In a way, yes. Because her combos are very basic at times. For example, down-throw, F-tilt, F-air. But on the other hand, a lot of characters have basic combos, and practiced Sheiks have very impressive movement and creative combos (like M2K or KirbyKaze).

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
Im a sheik main and have to agree... She is REALLY CHEAP. Especially with chaingrabs

HodgyDot

Smash Apprentice
Sheik may be cheap, but at the same time Fox/ Falco only has to throw out a single shine that is decently timed and then they will be in control of the match up.

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
But to be realistic, she is not the best in the game. I think everyone can agree in the end you HAVE to use spacies

1MachGO

Smash Ace
If the opinion of Yoshi's viability can change on a dime then you have to admit that we may not fully understand the capabilities of ANY character. Characters such as Fox and Falco are extraordinarily well represented at high level play and draw from a larger pool of talented and motivated players who are able to innovate them. Writing off characters such as Sheik or Marth when they aren't being equally represented is not a reliable way of assessing who the best character is.

Honestly, Sheik's toolset is RIDICULOUS. She has versatile edgeguarding, fantastic projectiles, incredible normals, above average attack range, great ground speed, amazing ledge game, reliable set ups, godlike kill conversions, etc. If she isn't the best character in the game, then she is certainly the most effective and consistent. I feel like her strengths can be exploited further but the character doesn't seem particularly popular in modern meta. M2K, KK, and Ice are kind of alone in the trenches at top level.

Prynne

Smash Apprentice
M2K himself said he's been using Sheik more because he believes that she performs more consistently than the Spacies.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Spacies are in theory the best, its just so hard to do everything perfectly as them.
How can two people simultaneously play perfect? You could theoretically counter everything Fox and Falco do so how can they theoretically be the best? Theories without any parameters just lead to paradoxes.

skwaag5233

Smash Cadet
How can two people simultaneously play perfect? You could theoretically counter everything Fox and Falco do so how can they theoretically be the best? Theories without any parameters just lead to paradoxes.
The year is 20XX.

Melee's metagame has reached TAS levels.

Everyone plays fox.

Sets are won by rock paper scissors for port priority.

Top Bottom