• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Is Pokken worth it for casual play?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I already play Sm4sh competitively, and I'm not planning on playing Pokken competitively at the same time. Is this game worth playing casually, or does it get boring after a while due to the lack of characters?

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I've played around 200 matches, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think that it is 100% worth it, online's the only reason you'll buy it though. The "story" mode is way too easy and the plot is almost nonexistent.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yeah, don't buy it for the single player. Bots are basically brain-dead.

Multiplayer is a lot of fun, though if you don't have much traditional fighting game experience you'll need some practice before you can really do things. Cast is small, though it feels pretty balanced so far. Quite a bit of customization with skill points (that can be redistributed whenever), supports, and cheer skills and mostly those all seem balanced too.

Once you get used to things it's pretty easy to play, and the online feels pretty solid so far. Even if you don't feel like getting super into the game there's a lot of fun to be had in climbing up the ranks and fighting friends.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After trying out the demo, I can pretty much say that this game isn't exactly designed for casual players.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
My problems with the game initially was that my Smash muscle memory was taking over. For example I'd try to shield grab or just grab a lot in general, when you can't shield grab and grabs just lose against attacks differently due to the attack triangle.

I took the game to both a more casual player not interested in Smash and to somebody who played more traditional fighting games and they picked it up a lot faster then I did.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I believe that Pokken has enough characters and support sets to make it worthwhile for both causal and competitive play.

D

Deleted member

I say yes I don't play it competively and there's no way I'd go online cause I know I'd get rekt so yeah. I say it is casual accessible.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Got the game, and I have to say that if you're already familiar with competitive Smash, it's basically impossible to play this casually.
What I mean is that others might be able to play by mashing buttons, but I have to do reads and stuff to beat them. Playing local or online multiplayer means playing competitively to some degree; you can do whatever in the singleplayer mode though, but playing it just for that won't make the game worth it at all.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
It seems like online is the most optimal form of "competitiveness" necessary to deem the game worthwhile. The single player mode is mediocre, and adding to that, the opponents you fight are extremely unintelligent for modern day fighter games. I am not a huge fan of Tekken-styled fighting games; I do not like the way the controls and movement flows. It feels awkward to me. Don't be fooled by the bait that is the Pokémon fighters, and make sure you like the way the game feels. That is most important.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Definitively not, unless you're so lucky to find a noob or another casual gamer online.
It's not like Mario Kart where the less good players get some vantages. There is literally an abyss among beginners and competitive players. Not mention champions.
I'm a C5 and I still feel the difference among me and the professionists of this game.
Though ONE time I unexpectedly won against an A1 asian player. I guess he understimated me because of the level gap and he dropped the guard too much.

Colourless Light

Delusions of Merit
I really enjoyed it for what it was.
Online play is mostly what pokefans play it for imo.
Storymode is pretty weak, but fun.

I would say it is, depending how mind numb you become after a few hours of play.

Top Bottom