• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Pikachu vs. Jiggz a hard battle?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Apparently, phanna thinks so. He put Jiggz can win 2 out of 10 matches against a Pikachu. This seems.... pretty bad for a low tier against an upper high tier.

Why (if it is) is this matchup so bad?

E_Ress

Smash Cadet
Pikachu's up smash is one of the, if not the, strongest uncharged up smashes in the game.

When used in junction with thunder, Jigglypuff can die at <60% on FD.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
This is one of the few times I would switch out to a MArth or Gannon just b/c I hate this match. The target is small and WoP'ing it is not easy nor that feasible. I think just changing characters or maybe trying to bait the Usmash or get behind it. I really fear facing that rat.

Sliq

Smash Master
Also, not a lot of people know how to play against a Pikachu, which can lead to pwnage.

Ame$

Smash Apprentice
dudes u forgot to mention that a decent or good pika is hard to edgeguard .
And as we all know edgeguarding plays a big part in jiggz gameplay

Duha

Smash Journeyman
i play a pika all the time and they suck but they still beat me with up smash every now and again. Who knows what it would be like to play a pika that actually knew what it was doing. O the humanity o the horror.

OuiCaVa11

Smash Cadet
Yeah pikas are hard...

If they miss with thunder, punish them with rest. Try to anticipate where they're going to land their quick attack while recovering... I find this is often the best time to try to fsmash them. Other than that watch out for their upsmash it comes out quick and it's deadly... I have never played a pika who didn't try to dash/wavedash into a jump cancelled usmash less than often, so if you can a well timed spot dodge can leave a rest opening.

Hope this helped.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yeah pikas are hard...

If they miss with thunder, punish them with rest. Try to anticipate where they're going to land their quick attack while recovering... I find this is often the best time to try to fsmash them. Other than that watch out for their upsmash it comes out quick and it's deadly... I have never played a pika who didn't try to dash/wavedash into a jump cancelled usmash less than often, so if you can a well timed spot dodge can leave a rest opening.

Hope this helped.
If they miss with thunder your usually high in the air and their trying a thunderflip so thats not feasable...

And the quick attack is more then likely going to be sweetspotted

Sorry to shoot those down :)

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Why (if it is) is this matchup so bad?
U-smash kills at very low percentages either by itself or as a Thunderflip.

Pikachu is hard for Jiggs to WoP.

Pikachu's recovery can sweetspot the edge from varying distances, at varying angles and through varying pathways. Pikachu's recovery will be unpredictable. Thus he's hard to edgeguard, which means a lot to Jiggs.

Pikachu's considerably faster than Jigglypuff.

Aero

Smash Journeyman
pikachu is hard, but not as hard as phanna says

just learn the matchup -- its like going up against a shiek without shiek practice

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm not actually looking for help.... I was wondering cuz on phanna's chart, for jiggz, the matchups, from high to low tier, were something like this:

5 7 4 5 4 4 5 5 6 7 5 4 2 6 7 8 5 7 4

or something like that. that 2 really surprised my

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Oh geez. I don't really remeber.

It was one of the KOTC matches sometime during summer of 2006.

and BTW if you want to beat pikachu counter with Fox, that is if you play as him. My friend plays fox and he is not as good as I am. But he can easily beat RaptorHawks Pikachu.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, i thought that and i dont even play jiggz. Or kirby, for that matter.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Usmash will hurt you. Uair will hurt you. And when you try to avoid them pika will jolt spam. Beware of levels that have low ceiling(like corneria, my favorite counter pick against jiggz). So try to counterpick Dreamland64, mute city, and pokemon stadium. Try to land an aerial at pika's back cause' we can't Usmash you there. You cant WoP or rest even, and landing combos are hard so you are going to have to try to fit in aerials. Usmash/tilt when pika's percentage is high for a rest.
PS: "Beware the Pika Dair" -Jesus

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
You can really hurt his recovery if you get out off the ledge and throw an Fair as his Forward-B. That move has a lot of end lag and Fairs or Bairs eat right through it. It really limits his longer-range recovery, cause eventually they stop forwardBing altogether, and that forces their upB to be much more linear and predictable.

Its also a good idea to try and bait the upsmash. what I like to do to Xavier's chu is space a couple bairs to get him thinking, and then just shorthop into his usmash range and airdodge right at him (a la triangle jump) so I come up just in behind. No pika player can resist what seems to be an easy usmash, so they'll almost always bite and then you're free to counter with utilt -> whatever tickles your fancy. I beg you though, dont use this too much! If the chu player expects it, then it DOES become an easy usmash. and thats very bad.

during the school year I used to play this matchup for like 4 hours every day with Xavier. We would go on streaks every now and then, but we'd usually end up splitting the wins. so I dunno. I think this matchup is being exaggerated a little bit. JPuff can win against Pikachu.

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
I'd say favor is for pika, but stage really has a lot to do with this match in my opinion.

If pika can spam b or stage has low ceilings, it's going to be a hard uphill fight for jiggs

N64

Smash Champion
Space bairs. Pika doesn't have much aerial priority horizontally (his best options are nair, which you can usually outspace with your bairs, and fair, which doesn't have much priority and doesn't really lead to anything on jiggs anyways). He doesn't have much to do against it on the ground either, as it will outrange his usmash, usually be over his fsmash, and tink with or override his ftilt. Watch for usmash obviously, so never land in front of pika if you can avoid it and don't approach with fairs or nairs unless you know he can't usmash them. Don't forget about thunder if you're recovering above him, some jiggs do. Also, if the pika doesn't sweetspot with his upB there's usually a fair amount of lag to it, so you can sometimes chase that into a rest. This is especially useful if you conterpick a stage with no or inconvenient sides (i.e. mute, kongo jungle, etc.).

Yeah, it's advantage pika, but i don't think it's as drastic as a lot of people make it out to be. Pika doesn't really have any combos on jiggs (other than uair->uair. Woo 6 damage) so he has to pick away at her with single hits until she's in usmash range, which also isn't easy to do as long as the jiggs is cautious.

Pistbag

Smash Cadet
interesting my friend plays pika and I play jiggs, but I haven't had a chance to play him recently. I have to try this match up. =)

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
yeah, phanna's chart isn't very accurate for lots of obscure matchups. 25 factorial matchups to analyze... a lot of the rare low/mid tier matchups fall through the cracks, especially with the lack of concensus, and lack of updates. Phanna admitted as much.

Yeah, I don't see how pika could be as bad for jiggs as a good fox or marth. Like PrinceZane says, Usmash is nice, but what else does pika have on jiggs that jiggs doesn't have on pika?

Anther

Smash Champion
Thought it was 26 factorial divided by 2 minus 26 o=. .. maybe that equals 25 fact XD...

I think it probably should be a 3 or 4 on the chart, I mean personally I've never had too much trouble with jigs, simply because jc+usmash or spotdodge to reversed jc+usmash kill jigs very well whether it lands behind or in front of the chu. and if the jigs lands aerials while falling away, pika can sometimes dash into a shield and upsmash through that.

But other than that Jiggly's one of the few characters that isn't marth that can really screw with Pika's recovery.

But yeah, in my opinion it's def not better than foxes matchup though its less stressful since there definately aren't as many rest combos on Pika...

Top Bottom