• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Needle-storing a glitch?

salulos

Smash Rookie
I used to think it was intentional, just because it worked so well, but now im noticing more and more bugs with the needle storing

one big thing is that if u have the needles stored and you are hit by anything while you are using the chain, you loose your needles
is there a reason for this or is it just a mistake?

another thing that seems unintentional is that if you die as sheik, you loose any needles you had stored-
but if you die as zelda you keep the needles...

theres a good chance there are more, but these alone seem to be very glitchy for Smash standards

technomancer

Smash Champion
Similar issues have been discovered with DK's charge punch. Getting hit out of most B moves will remove your charge.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
Similar issues have been discovered with DK's charge punch. Getting hit out of most B moves will remove your charge.
yup this is programmed into the game, and not a glitch
works the same for samus's charge shot as well
always thought it was only up-b though...

Probably because you didn't technically die as Sheik -- you died as Zelda.
yeah... not a glitch either
why would needle storing be a glitch?
heck, mewtwo samus dk all can store their b-attacks

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
yeah, and all of theres storing attacks CAN be knocked out of them (i dont think mewtwos can tho). It probably during certain attacks.

Needle storing isnt a glitch, u can hold the charge for as long as u want just like mewtwo's and when u DO have them fully charged, u blink (letting u kno u have them charged). DK's head steams, samus blinks, mewtwos hand has the purple stuff.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty sure that for all the other characters it is when they get knocked out of up B. Im sure thats how it works with DK.

but that thing about keeping the needles if you die as zelda seems weird....

Ares726

Smash Ace
It's definitely not a glitch, but I agree, dying as Zelda and keeping them is weird. Use that to your advantage though. If you're Sheik and you know you can't get back to the stage even if you transform and use Farore's Wind, just transform anyway. The only drawback (and it's kind of a big one) you'll use up all of your invicibility frames after you respawn to transform back to Sheik. You won't have any invicibility, but at least you'll have your needles.

Just out of curiosity:
How many frames of invicibility do you have when you respawn, and how many frames does it take for Zelda to transform into Sheik? It seems to me like they're exactly the same, but I don't have an AR so I can't check. I'll go look around the site and see if it's anywhere though.

EDIT: I checked on the Official SSBM Statistics and you have 120 frames of invincibility for your respawn. That's exactly 2 seconds. Transforming doesn't take that long at all so, salulos, I think you're right about the invincibility frames being nullified.

salulos

Smash Rookie
Wow, i didnt know everyone could lose their charge...
The reason I started looking into it was because it mentions in the instructions that Samus and DK can store their charge, but nothing about Sheik's
oh well...

Just out of curiosity:
How many frames of invicibility do you have when you respawn, and how many frames does it take for Zelda to transform into Sheik? It seems to me like they're exactly the same, but I don't have an AR so I can't check. I'll go look around the site and see if it's anywhere though.
Im just guessing but I think they are either the same, or tranforming just nulifies the invinciblilty because it seems to me that if you transform as soon as you respawn you should have at least a bit of time invincible (even though you dont)
just my thoughts though, no evidence at all

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
yeah transforming gets rid of the invincibility. But if u time it right, there is a frame or 2 where u actually blink out and cannot be hit. I have a clip of it in the vid i made.

Im guessing that since you cant use them while u r Zelda, it wouldnt make sense to lose them while ur zelda. then again, it doesnt really matter, b/c its the way they made it.

If these were glitches they prolly would have been taken out in hte other versions since they r so well known

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i didn't even know you could store needles! I've never noticed anything like it! Maybe I've got a bad copy of the game. It is all scratched up...

salulos

Smash Rookie
be careful who you say that around, you can find out how it store them in just about any sheik guide/faq there is

while charging the needles, hit R, L, or Z and you will save the needles you have

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Mew2 doesn't lose his charge if he's hit in a B move.

He doesn't even lose it if he goes to throw a full charged shadow ball and gets hit b4 it comes out. It stays until he dies or its actually visably thrown.

Citrussed

Smash Journeyman
What I dont get is if it isnt a glitch... Why dont all the other charging moves require to press L, R or Z?

Ares726

Smash Ace
What I dont get is if it isnt a glitch... Why dont all the other charging moves require to press L, R or Z?
It does. You can bring out all your needles, but to store (charge) them you have to press L, R, or Z. Otherwise you just throw them. A charge is where you can run around the stage and not lose them. You have to press L, R, or Z to do that with Sheik.

The only thing that's different about this charge attack is that you can keep them forever (if you don't lose them) by dying as Zelda. Since Sheik charged the needles, and Zelda died, Sheik keeps the needles. That's the glitch-esque part.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Mew2 doesn't lose his charge if he's hit in a B move.

He doesn't even lose it if he goes to throw a full charged shadow ball and gets hit b4 it comes out. It stays until he dies or its actually visably thrown.
In Pal if you hit mewto while he is charging the Shadowball and he isn't finished charging (it doesn't get bigger) then he loses what he had charged.

Needle storing isn't a glitch imo, what is stupod and weird is that when DK does his Punch in the air he lost all of his jumps and falls to his death (in Pall) just to weird...

t3hggnore

Smash Rookie
Sheik flashes when she is charged. clearly meaning it isnt a glitch.
Well, the flashing is there to inform that sheik's needles are fully charged. it really doesn't indicate whether or not it's a glitch though.

I thought the needle storing was pretty sketchy too, but I dunno if it's really a glitch. I guess it's sorta like WD: it's just there.

Some key differences in sheik's needles is the following.
  • holding the B button is required to charge, while for the other characters one tap is sufficient
  • sheik cannot perform a roll dodge in the middle of a charge, nor can she store a few out of the max number of needles.

salulos

Smash Rookie
i havnt checked in a while and my copy of smash is currently on loan, but if i remember correctly, however many needles you have when u store them, is how many you release when you throw
ex.-if you tap R after charging 3 needles, then you hit B again, wont you throw 3 needles?

Top Bottom