• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is matchmaking really this bad?

popless

Smash Rookie
I started playing super smash bros on the 3ds yesterday, and i gotta say the matchmaking is pure trash. I goofed around for about 1 hour and then i went into For Glory. I've only won 3 matches and ive lost about 40. I always tend to get matched with people who are leaps and leaps better than me. Do i really have to go through 1000 games of losing just to become good. I haven't been able to find a solution for this. Is it really this bad? If i can't fix this is there a good way outside of online to become better?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Everyone starts out like this. Online isn't exactly the surefire way to improve, and offline the same thing would most likely happen, if not to a much greater degree.

Aside from practicing and learning from your losses, it would benefit your experience greatly to learn more about the game's fundamentals through resources such as guides, videos of any mid-high level play (even casual play can help immensely), or just asking around the forum (there's a few stickied advice threads, as well as threads for finding matches rather than relying on For Glory's random matchmaking).

Losing 1000 times is by no means a bad thing, IMO. Before the addition of online, you'd have had to have lost much more times to start getting better. Perseverance is important for any fighting game.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
The MM'ing isn't consistent; in that, there is no ladder whatsoever. Every time you queue into an online lobby you start with zero win %. As opponents leave the lobby the opponents that take their place are matched based on your current win rate. You can reset your win % by exiting and re-entering.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
I guess you're not used to the FG playstyle and still approach. In FG, all they ever do is wait or bait. You can put your controller down at any given time and you will notice the other player won't attack you. They're just jumping and punching air and wait until you attack so they can do their little block/grab, counter or whatever. It's quite lame.

It's just something you should be aware of when you first start playing so you can adjust. Don't start to play the same though. Play offensive like a boss and crush their egos. I started playing Wario just so I can do unlimited taunts.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Machii Machii Have you looked at the netcode to prove that statement? My experience does not dispute it, if you win and continue to win you face harder and harder opponents.
But there definitely is some underlying matchmaking, it is not completely random who you are paired up against. The spread is large though, A basic player will face a tournament level player, it will give him the chance to fight high level.
If you are new to the game the average is necessarily tilted towards you NOT facing players on your level - the netcode wants you to improve and the bulk of the players are above you, it is normal that you continue to lose for quite some time.
When you get to the high win rates, the game cannot necessarily find players of similar level and you will face weaker players not infrequently.
However it is still very good I feel, it does try to find stronger players for you regardless of level.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
From my experience with the 3DS FG... it's not very good.
I am convinced 70ms is the lowest ping I've been able to get, while some of my worst matches had literally a full second of lag. Sometimes, the match would freeze for a minute and the game still would insist in playing out the match. All of this, and I haven't even talked about the quality of the players I meet, which aren't great. I could win against every single one of them easily offline, so far I've never met anybody that was particularly decent. It's just lame tacticts, with lame connection and lame everything...
For Glory is not great.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Sounds like your connection is lame. Like every other connection in South America

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Sounds like your connection is lame. Like every other connection in South America
Eh, our connection isn't, like, lame. We still have good internet in some places. It's just that playing against people in other continents doesn't really work well, ever.

Top Bottom