• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it wrong for me to dislike my Smash scene?

Astram

Smash Rookie
This is a topic that gets me quite irritated - especially when discussed with people running the group - so I figured I'd post here to see how other people feel but here goes.

So my school recently started a Smash around last year or so and I used to go to their events but as I went more and more to outside events to my local venue, I enjoyed my school's events less and less to the point I stopped going. So the biggest gripe I have with my school's Smash scene is the way it's run.

Firstly, it's a PM --> SSB4 --> Melee weekly so PM one week then 4 the next week - this I don't have a problem with it's moreso the ruleset and setups (Melee / PM only). So the way brackets are generally run are a BO1 until Loser's Finals, Grand, etc, which is the usual BO3; I strongly detest this format because it doesn't allow players to adapt to a person's playstyle, counterpicks, etc. - well until the end which is usually the same people.

With that said, it brings me to my next point, since it's usually the same people in Grands, there was a point that the same person kept winning brackets that he was "banned" from participating in brackets to which he complied with taking up commentary. I feel as if this action is a cheap, especially since the group is trying to advocate the whole, "let everyone win thing" but the thing is I feel any player should have to work for their wins as opposed to have it handed to them. And the funny thing is this "top player" doesn't really make it into Top 16 outside of school events.

As I mentioned previously, I had a gripe with setups when it came to Melee / PM, which are played on flatscreens. Yup, flatscreens and being a person who generally plays on a CRT setup it generally feels bad when I play on them.

It's almost as if I feel alienated when they advocate that they're "here for casuals" yet try to do this whole competitive thing, especially since a lot of people in the group are anti-Melee for some reason yet strong advocates for PM, SSB4, and even Brawl; even more so the whole "cater to casuals" thing irks me when there's so much potential to meet other Smashers from other schools within the state. Though, they did take on another school in a crew battle on a CRT setup and won, so I'll give credit for that.

I mean I understand that the group will be entering it's second year now but I feel so dissatisfied with they way things are run and I don't know if my thoughts are strongly justified so I just wanted to share my experience with other Smashers for their input.

Here's their YT channel if anyone's interested.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
It is fine that you disagree with the way they are run and their methods. Just don't expect them to change because you disagree.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
lol yeah that ruleset is pretty silly. even though i think bo1 is sufficient time to adjust to most of what your opponent is doing at least on a very basic level it's definitely not enough for everything and it's not the standard ruleset and the tournaments should reflect the standard here. at the same time, i guess you have to consider why they do it: is it because of time constraints? if it's not, maybe try giving feedback in a friendly yet honest and constructive way about how the tournaments are structured. e.g., bo1s don't allow most competitors enough time to adapt, bo3 grands isn't ideal for similar reasons, flatscreens suffer from input lag and we should work on getting CRTs, etc. and see if they take your suggestions to heart. if not, there's really nothing you can do.

why do they hate on melee?

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
With that said, it brings me to my next point, since it's usually the same people in Grands, there was a point that the same person kept winning brackets that he was "banned" from participating in brackets to which he complied with taking up commentary.
He was literally banned for being too good.

But yeah, if there's another scene within 30-45 minutes, you can attend that and completely abandon your scene. If that's what it comes to, don't feel bad for it.

Wojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wojo42
3DS FC
1092-0117-9940
Your thoughts are probably justified but I still lack some context on your scene. Most rules that come off as either strange or awful are created by TO's as drastic measures to keep the tournament running within the time allotted to them (my scene was recently forced to switch from 3 stock to 2 stock in Sm4sh for this reason). If that appears to be the reason the easy way to change that would be by either making the tournament more efficient through other means (more forceful TO'ing, more setups, etc.) or adjusting the time frame.

If it's not due to time constraints and more a result of lack of experience or knowledge on behalf of the organizers, then there's not much you can do other than trying to convince them to change their approach. Being able to become an organizer would be a preferred path, but you'd know if that was possible more than me.

And just a reminder in that there's nothing wrong in leaving a scene to try to find the one that's right for you, but if you can shift their course for the better than try and do so.

brokr

Smash Rookie
NNID
soulace
i don't think it's wrong for you to disagree or be unhappy with the way things are being run at all, i probably would feel the same way given what you've said about it. but hey, now is a good a time as any to start a discussion though; maybe talk to the TO or whoever runs these events and see if it can be taken a bit more seriously, especially since you've been going to other events that (i assume) have better attendance or are run better. you could also offer to help out, if that's your kind of thing.

remember, don't just suggest this sort of thing simply because you disagree with it, but because it will eventually help your community grow, and maybe things can be better for everyone :^)

Astram

Smash Rookie
I've talked to the TOs / people who run the club and I've been told that the target audience is more so a casual audience than a hardcore more competitive audience since they don't want to intimidate people with the whole "real" tournament format and advanced tech.

Yet I don't understand especially since they still have a tournament bracket not run in the best manner...

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
It's understandable you're not satisfied with how it's run. At least you've spoken to the TOs about it, though.

If they're doing it to attract a wider audience, hopefully the bigger exposure might lead to everyone wanting to dig deeper into tech because they want to kick butt and show off to the crew.

Sucks a guy got kicked off from playing for being 2good. Was everyone getting salty or did the higher-ups think it would drive people away?

Astram

Smash Rookie
It's understandable you're not satisfied with how it's run. At least you've spoken to the TOs about it, though.

If they're doing it to attract a wider audience, hopefully the bigger exposure might lead to everyone wanting to dig deeper into tech because they want to kick butt and show off to the crew.

Sucks a guy got kicked off from playing for being 2good. Was everyone getting salty or did the higher-ups think it would drive people away?
Latter; they were very keen on not scaring new players away.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Latter; they were very keen on not scaring new players away.
Seems like they scared you away.

Even if they're trying to cater to casuals/new players, I don't see why they refuse to change the ruleset. I mean... playing best of 3 sets won't make people scared of the game. And I guess you can ask if you can bring your own CRT. If your personal one is too big/heavy, or you don't want somebody to go Hbox on it, you can probably pick up a small CRT at a thrift store for almost nothing. Just make sure it has the right ports to support a gamecube/wii.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
georgia smash sucks because i cant go to a melee tournament without driving at least an hour away

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
This is a topic that gets me quite irritated - especially when discussed with people running the group - so I figured I'd post here to see how other people feel but here goes.

So my school recently started a Smash around last year or so and I used to go to their events but as I went more and more to outside events to my local venue, I enjoyed my school's events less and less to the point I stopped going. So the biggest gripe I have with my school's Smash scene is the way it's run.

Firstly, it's a PM --> SSB4 --> Melee weekly so PM one week then 4 the next week - this I don't have a problem with it's moreso the ruleset and setups (Melee / PM only). So the way brackets are generally run are a BO1 until Loser's Finals, Grand, etc, which is the usual BO3; I strongly detest this format because it doesn't allow players to adapt to a person's playstyle, counterpicks, etc. - well until the end which is usually the same people.

With that said, it brings me to my next point, since it's usually the same people in Grands, there was a point that the same person kept winning brackets that he was "banned" from participating in brackets to which he complied with taking up commentary. I feel as if this action is a cheap, especially since the group is trying to advocate the whole, "let everyone win thing" but the thing is I feel any player should have to work for their wins as opposed to have it handed to them. And the funny thing is this "top player" doesn't really make it into Top 16 outside of school events.

As I mentioned previously, I had a gripe with setups when it came to Melee / PM, which are played on flatscreens. Yup, flatscreens and being a person who generally plays on a CRT setup it generally feels bad when I play on them.

It's almost as if I feel alienated when they advocate that they're "here for casuals" yet try to do this whole competitive thing, especially since a lot of people in the group are anti-Melee for some reason yet strong advocates for PM, SSB4, and even Brawl; even more so the whole "cater to casuals" thing irks me when there's so much potential to meet other Smashers from other schools within the state. Though, they did take on another school in a crew battle on a CRT setup and won, so I'll give credit for that.

I mean I understand that the group will be entering it's second year now but I feel so dissatisfied with they way things are run and I don't know if my thoughts are strongly justified so I just wanted to share my experience with other Smashers for their input.

Here's their YT channel if anyone's interested.
No dude, you are 100% right. That sounds ridiculous.

Top Bottom