• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it time yet for alternate costumes?

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I was really hoping when Little Mac's hoodie was announced that characters would have at least one alternate costume in this game. Characters like Olimar, Robin, Wario, Bowser Jr., Zero Suit Samus have alternate costumes whether it be because they're "different characters" or just because. But then there are characters like Rosalina & Luma, Ness, Lucario, Sonic, Zelda who don't have alternate costumes at all.

And even then you have characters like Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Jigglypuff, and Link who kinda have alternate costumes but not really.

Would anyone else like to see alternate costumes for all characters as DLC, kind of like how Marvel v. Capcom 3 did with their characters? Nintendo has a large history and can really be creative with their alts. And if that happens, do characters like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina warrant alternate costumes, since that's what they originally were?

Project M took a lot of good ones (like Pajama Ness, Gi Lucario, and Minish Cap Toon Link) and Nintendo probably wouldn't touch them as a result, but it's 2015. Is it time to move on past palette swaps being the only differences between characters?

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
I'm wondering why Ike didn't get his Vanguard getup from the last chapter of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. If any costume DLC is going to happen, that's the one I would want the most.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yes. Proper alts and not the sorry excuse for a light suit Samus has in Smash.

Proper Light Suit from Prime 2

A proper Dark Bowser and Dry Bowser skin would be great.
Shulk could have the other armour types in Xenoblade.
ZSS needs the leotard and green hair.

Last edited:

Bluetooth

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-6181-2171
Some of these alt costumes would require character remodeling. Color swaps honestly don't change the character too much, but a mask on Dedede could quite possibly give him more hurtboxes.
It's weird to think about, but a pinch can make a hurtbox grow an inch.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would like to see some more character alts as DLC myself. Still waiting for the Outset and/or Conductor alts for Toon Link..... :T

Last edited:

Bluetooth

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-6181-2171
Also, if you've randomly searched around the internet, Sakurai says the DLC ruins part of the game itself, so he really doesn't want to add costumes as DLC.
It would be pointless to buy. As he said, the game should be complete at the point it is released. A silly add-on like costumes would be worthless to a competitive standpoint.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also, if you've randomly searched around the internet, Sakurai says the DLC ruins part of the game itself, so he really doesn't want to add costumes as DLC.
It would be pointless to buy. As he said, the game should be complete at the point it is released. A silly add-on like costumes would be worthless to a competitive standpoint.
Didn't stop them from making and selling Mii Costumes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Why we need this version of Link as a costume (with voice) in Smash Bros.
- People will stop asking for Young Link because this is the same guy
- This is coolest version of Link
- See the second reason

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Notice that those are Miis, which already have unlockable costumes, and give your Mii a little more creativity.
It's the same concept. It's a costume you can choose to fight in being sold for money.
And you stated it would be worthless from a competitive stand point.
So are the Mii costumes.

D

Deleted member

Melee outfits for Star Fox crew, OoT outfits for Zeruda characters, Shiny (Green) Mewtwo, Shiny Charizard, Dark Daisy for Peach, better Villager alts, Justin Bailey outfit for ZSS, Super Metroid Samus design, and green bandana for Jiggs pls.

I'd literally buy all of this and fly to Nintendo then, after I arrive, I get arrested for disturbing the the peace at Nintendo of America for proclaiming my love for them in their halls for doing this awesome deed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
They released a bunch of Mii costumes like a week ago.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Yeah I really wish more outfits were added to the game, maybe it's just me but it's one of the major reasons why I like Project M along (of course along with the balancing, variety of characters, etc.) but yea I love alternate costumes. I'm really hoping that Lucas will get his Commander Outfit from Mother 3 which is really the only one I want real bad.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Please.

These would be so easy to make Sakurai.

Her model literally has the the Cosmic Spirit texture already, there is no excuse.

Cat Rosalina and Biker Rosalina would also be awesome, but I understand if those can't be done.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I'm not a Villager user, but I'd like his governor look from the cover of New Leaf to be an alternate for the guy.

Maybe Isabella as an alternate costume for the girl?

For Pit and Dark Pit, could they give him the cartoony skin from his original incarnation like this?

Since Dark Pit is a clone, you could just give that version black hair, black wings, and an angry look and make it look like what Dark Pit would have looked like in that game.

...or would those cartoonish features at the size that Pit/Dark Pit stand at look a bit freakish?

Yeah I really wish more outfits were added to the game, maybe it's just me but it's one of the major reasons why I like Project M along (of course along with the balancing, variety of characters, etc.) but yea I love alternate costumes. I'm really hoping that Lucas will get his Commander Outfit from Mother 3 which is really the only one I want real bad.
I agree. I've always been a huge fans of alternate costumes in fighters and that's my main reason for interest in Project M. I've always been big on buying character costume DLC (not touching that Mii costume DLC though).

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

Why we need this version of Link as a costume (with voice) in Smash Bros.
- People will stop asking for Young Link because this is the same guy
- This is coolest version of Link
- See the second reason
Honestly, he looks so very plastic.

I choose either the Hero of the Past or the Hero of Warriors over this guy any day.

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
Still waiting for my princess Hilda.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
If they gave :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk: Mario Party 2 costumes I would cry.

Also, recolors aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as they actually mean something. I've said this sooo many times but colors based off NES sprites would look so cool. I made some examples:

What would also be cool is if they made costumes in the styles of past games. Brawl might not work because the only difference would really be duller colors/harder textures, and Smash 64 might not work because since it's so pixelated the hitboxes and stuff might change. But Melee would definitely work, and they could make new costumes in the style of Melee for all the characters introduced in Brawl/Smash 4.

Other (common) ideas: Cosmic Guide:rosalina:, Shadow Queen :4peach:, Raichu :4pikachu:, Roy :4marth:, viking/princess hat :4villager::4villagerf:, Hyrule Warriors :4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I agree that Rosalina should've gotten that Cosmic Spirit as one of her alts. That would've been so badass.

And whatever happened to that Princess Hilda alt for Zelda?

Crashfan1ooo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crashfan1ooo
3DS FC
1650-3196-2381
I'm kinda surprised that Ness didn't get a Ninten alternate skin, they look pretty much the same... Just reverse the hat and change a few colors. I don't see Ninten being his own character so I don't see why he can't be an alt for Ness.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
If they gave :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk: Mario Party 2 costumes I would cry.

Also, recolors aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as they actually mean something. I've said this sooo many times but colors based off NES sprites would look so cool. I made some examples:

What would also be cool is if they made costumes in the styles of past games. Brawl might not work because the only difference would really be duller colors/harder textures, and Smash 64 might not work because since it's so pixelated the hitboxes and stuff might change. But Melee would definitely work, and they could make new costumes in the style of Melee for all the characters introduced in Brawl/Smash 4.

Other (common) ideas: Cosmic Guide:rosalina:, Shadow Queen :4peach:, Raichu :4pikachu:, Roy :4marth:, viking/princess hat :4villager::4villagerf:, Hyrule Warriors :4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf:
This is an awesome idea

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo probably wouldn't touch them as a result, but it's 2015. Is it time to move on past palette swaps being the only differences between characters?
Why wouldn't Nintendo touch them... Nintendo legally owns them all.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
The fact that DLC is happening means that Sakurai was willing to give it a chance (I recall him saying that he wasn't going to do DLC at all at one point), so in the off-chance that costume DLC happens; here are my demands requests;

Give everyone more colors and Master Shadow alts, give Robin (both genders) an alt where they wear their hoods.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
All I want is just Dry Bowser and Masked Dedede.........and those costumes from that Kyary Pamyu Pamyu commerical

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Some of these alt costumes would require character remodeling. Color swaps honestly don't change the character too much, but a mask on Dedede could quite possibly give him more hurtboxes.
This is an alternate costume that did not change a single hurtbox:

Khao

Smash Lord
While they're usually mostly related for the sake of consistency, hurtboxes are not actually 100% tied to the visible models. Adding a simple mask to a character would not be a problem if none of the character's proportions are changed (Heck, just look at Kirby for one, many transformations, yet his hurtbox never changes).

Anyway, DLC costumes get a massive "whatever" from me. I don't think they're worth to pay for, but what they add to the game is so freaking insignificant that I don't mind them existing, even if they end up overpriced. I mean, I'm not missing out much if I don't get them, so bring it on.

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I really wish Mega Man got a Proto Man alt, but alas, it's just a Mii Fighter Outfit. Oh well, I can still hope for Bass.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Ocarina of time Ganon, Hyrule Warriors Ganon, Demise, Angel knight Pit, Angel Knight Dark Pit, Raichu, Ocarina of time Link, Hyrule Warrors Link, Ocarina of Time Zelda, Skyward Sword Zelda, Hyrule Warriors Zelda, Young Link, etc

Im surprised they havent added alternate outfits yet tbh

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Waluigi alts for every character.

KaDeYa

Smash Rookie
...I can see Sakurai giving all the Mario characters a Catsuit DLC.
No thanks.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Tanooki Mario, Cat Suit Peach and Fox Luigi would all be actually be pretty cool DLC costumes. Maybe like a full blown Wolf costume for Fox too. Maybe like a Shadow color scheme or alt for Sonic. A Raichu costume for Pikachu? That would be cool.

A pit color for Dark Pit and a Dark Pit color for Pit? :troll:

Top Bottom