• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible to buffer a fastfall input during hitlag?

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I just went frame-by-frame in debug mode. Happened to notice you could buffer the fastfall while testing non-instant DJCs, so I redid the test with an earlier FF input until it didn't work anymore to see how big the window was.

Last edited:

Prez08

Smash Apprentice
I just went frame-by-frame in debug mode. Happened to notice you could buffer the fastfall while testing non-instant DJCs, so I redid the test with an earlier FF input until it didn't work anymore to see how big the window was.
That's awesome, I did the same test but I couldn't tell very well if I was FFing or not. :D sweet!

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That's actually result of a universal "buffer" both PM and melee (and probably the other smash games) have for smash inputs on the control stick. If you smash the stick quickly in one direction and hold it, it will count as a smash input for the next 3 frames as well, triggering things like smash attacks, dashes, rolls, fast falls, etc, depending on what is or isn't pressed in that time frame.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
That's actually result of a universal "buffer" both PM and melee (and probably the other smash games) have for smash inputs on the control stick. If you smash the stick quickly in one direction and hold it, it will count as a smash input for the next 3 frames as well, triggering things like smash attacks, dashes, rolls, fast falls, etc, depending on what is or isn't pressed in that time frame.
I was aware that tap jump and fsmash had a similar buffer, had no idea about the rolls.
Any idea why c-stick "buffering" for rolls is such a common technique when you still have a 4 frame window with the control stick for frame-perfect? Doesn't c-stick actually cause you to shield for one extra frame before starting a roll?
Then again, the 1 frame probably only makes a difference against particular brands of shield pressure and disengaging from almost-unsafe pressure of your own.

EDIT: Guess it would only be a 3 frame window, if I was originally right in assuming the c-stick method inputs the roll on the first available frame, while a "true" buffered roll with the control stick would cause the roll to start on the first available frame. If it doesn't work that way, then I guess I just answered my own question.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Any idea why c-stick "buffering" for rolls is such a common technique when you still have a 4 frame window with the control stick for frame-perfect? Doesn't c-stick actually cause you to shield for one extra frame before starting a roll?
I'm wondering this too

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The cstick can be HELD and cause rolls any time you are in shield (and not in shield stun).
Pressing and holding the control stick will only buffer for 3 frames, so you'd need to know within 3 frames when shield stun would end, with the cstick held, you don't.

Top Bottom