• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it me or does the Classic Controller seem to respond faster than a GC?

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Tried the CC today and I may start to use that. The response time to me seem faster for some reason. And no I wasn't using a Wavebird.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
this is interesting, i have not tried it before, how much of a learning curve is it really if i am very accustomed to the gc controller??

katonjutsu

Smash Cadet
All of this CC-loving is almost making me wanting to purchase one...just one question though, you ARE able to turn the right-joystick like the C-stick on the Gamecube controller, right? Auto-smashes and all? If so, I might as well go get me one tommorow when I pick up my Wii. =]

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
All of this CC-loving is almost making me wanting to purchase one...just one question though, you ARE able to turn the right-joystick like the C-stick on the Gamecube controller, right? Auto-smashes and all? If so, I might as well go get me one tommorow when I pick up my Wii. =]
Yes, the right stick is a C-stick.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
so you guys are basically reccomending this setup right?

id like to know just HOW responsive it is though...

do you make less mistakes?

Scion

Smash Cadet
That's interesting. I never even thought about using anything but the GC controller, i'll have to bust out the CC and try it out.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Probably because your Gamecube controller is older than your Classic Controller.
Hmm...

Well, I bought a brand new Gamecube controller with my copy of Brawl, so this wouldn't be a problem for me. I suppose I'll try out the Classic for a while and compare the two. I just hope I don't love the Classic TOO much, because then I wasted 25 bucks on a Cube control >.<

I was wondering though, how do you map the buttons? X and Y to Jump, A for Attacks and B for specials like the Gamecube? And also, what about the shoulder buttons?

kciD

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I really like the CC over the GC controller. First of all, the shield button isn't a trigger, so you can press it faster. Second of all, you can change what the buttons do, so the fact that the Z button is so out of reach is easily fixable. I changed it to Y, but thought about changing it to L. It barely matters anyways because shield grabbing is better, but with Toon link I use it to throw and catch bombs. It doesn't take long at all to catch on, just practice a bit, or even play a 1 player mode with it.

robman1

Smash Cadet
Aha... I was hoping the CC would have some good qualities. If nothing else I thought itd be nice for the fact that you can map controls. Would you be using the D pad or the Control stick for movement though? I tried the wii mote dpad and its just too difficult to dash with IMO

Luigi player

Smash Master
Hmm... interesting. I really liked how the CC looked like when I saw one, but what I don't like about it is that you have to put it on the wiimote and that means you need batteries.. (is this right?) I don't really want to spend so much money on new batteries every time...

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
i dont like the ccs taller joystick...

but if it is proven to be faster than a wired gc... maybe ill try it out...

Tristan_win

Not dead.
hmm, faster you say? I find that hard to believe but if it's true then of course every high level smasher is going to go for the faster responding controller even if it's a litter harder to use.

Thrull

Smash Cadet
The only difference I notice is the shoulder buttons. The GC shoulder buttons just do not seem to be designed for full-click shielding... it takes too long to press them, plus if you don't press them right, the click doesn't register or cuts out - if you pull the trigger outward and down, it's fine, but if you push towards the center of the controller and down, sometimes the press cuts out. Maybe my hands are just too big, I'm always screwing up the presses. I had to set Y to shield, it go so annoying. The Classic controller shoulder buttons have the same problem to an extent, but it's much less noticable.

I don't really notice a general response time difference honestly, if it was there I think it would be more obvious. Although, I'm using a wired GC controller rather than a Wavebird.

Starzaka

Smash Rookie
I've heard if you take the springs out of the GC Controller's L/R Triggers, it's much easier to shield rather than having to press them all the way down. As far as movement is concerned, I'll have to check out the CC then. :)

justc

Smash Rookie
I've had issues with charged moves being released using the classic controller, especially with Diddy's rockets. Has anyone else had this issue?

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
I tried the Classic out all last night, and I honestly couldn't get used to it. I just don't like the fact that the Analog Sticks are so..loose, I suppose is the word I'm looking for. They just seemed too sensitive.

Oh, and I couldn't get used to the button placement as far as playing Brawl goes, but that won't be a problem for anyone who actually puts in a couple of days to get used to it.

WR3K

Smash Ace
i tried both last night.

no difference, besides the slightly easier sheilding with the CC

but the control sticks were too loose compared the the GC ones, i did not like it. plus it is impossible for the cc to be more (responsive) then the GC because:

the cc has to go through the wire to the wiimote, THEN through a bluetooth connection.

the GC just goes through one wire... thats it.

plus the wiimore eats enough batteries as it is, ill stick with the battery less GC controller and just remember to sheild as quckly as possible

Dimetrodon

Smash Rookie
All but two of my GC controllers are heavily worn, one of them is unplayable (the trigger buttons, A button, and C stick don't work). So I bought a CC with Brawl. I tried using it for a while and could not get used to it at all. The A, B, X, and Y buttons are placed much differently. I could probably get used to it eventually, but for now I'd rather stick to the GC controller.

M@v

Subarashii!
well i just compared the two, testing things on each on at the same time(ex. id push both a buttons, or both jump buttons). Im noticing no difference in response time at all. Im using a wavebird gc controller too. To make sure, i taunted with both(using samus for this test). It sounded like only 1 person was taunting, so no difference. That out of the way though, The classic controllers buttons are a little easier to push, and its good for smaller hands. Also the wii mote makes cool noises when you pick a character:chuckle:. Im a hardcore smash fan, and have used the gc controller for years, so Im probably gonna stick old school. 1 more thing, the learning curve isnt hard at all. I was using the cc just fine after 5 minutes.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I just bough a gamecube controller, its wirelesss.

It was screwing me up, because sometimes i would go in random directions I dont need to be going.

It would also be pretty slow on the response time..

So i tried the classic controller today. And its really nice.

6uardianAngel

Smash Rookie
I doubt the CC Controller is faster than the GCN Controller. At best it should be the same speed -- logically thinking.

Perhaps the only reason the GCN Controller seems slower is that sheilding takes a tad longer than the CC.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, at first I couldn't get the hang of the CC... but then I remapped the buttons: Y = special, X = jump, A = shield and B = attack. Given two shield options with L and A, special closer to jump, and an analog stick that seems to respond more accurately - especially to tilts V smashes.... it's great.

Top Bottom