• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just me, or is this the most unbalanced SSB game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShayminKeldeo421

Smash Rookie
The balance between the characters seems to drop with every game that's made, and I find it sad. SSB is ruining their own series, I swear. Don't think they're unbalanced? I think I can easily make a list of the OP characters:

Bowser - The bowsercide is a cheap way to win, not to mention he's fast and powerful.
Yoshi - Literally all you have to do to win a game is spam your dash attack, it's incredibly sad. He's incredibly agile, has great range and disables, and to top it all off can easily stack up damage.
Rosalina and Luma - I don't think I need to say anything here, just go against someone and use nothing but your B attack and you'll win.
Diddy Kong - Incredibly fast and damaging multi-hits, great recovery and great knockback.
Shiek - The priority of her attacks is insane, they're incredibly fast and powerful; what doesn't she have?
Ganondorf - He's not extremely OP, but if you are against a somewhat-competent one you'll instantly lose.
Zero Suit Samus - I think we all know why.
Little Mac - Fast, deals a ton of easy damage, impossible to dodge his hits, etc. Need I mention a KO punch?
Falco - Spam your B attack, you become invincible and they end up dying.
Lucario - He can 1-shot a Kirby with an uncharged smash when he is at 100%. Fair, right?
Ness - Just spam PK fire to get them up to 100%, then walk up to them with your baseball bat.
Captain Falcon - Fast, quick, and powerful attacks, he's also pretty tanky.
Lucina - A side-tilt deals about 18%, and her counter is insane.
Shulk - I could make an essay as to why he's so unbalanced.

Meanwhile, there are characters that suffer from being underpowered:

Donkey Kong - He doesn't stand a chance, his attacks require too much setup and he's pretty slow.
Palutena - All she has is defense. Nothing else.
Meta Knight - Sure he used to be extremely OP, but now he's one of the worst characters in the game. You suicide more than you die (they can just dodge your drill and you're done for), and even if you don't he's not that great.
Jigglypuff - A weak glass cannon, 1/2 of the time the nap bugs and doesn't hit them.
Wii Fit Trainer - She can be powerful, but her air game and recovery are useless, allowing you to only spam projectiles.
Pac-man - Weak attacks, weak knockback, all he has are projectiles that take 5 seconds to charge.

Feel free to disagree with me, but there are just so many flaws in the game, as it's hard to keep balance in a game with around 50 characters. The Nintendo team isn't really helping though, seeing as they buffed Shulk and Falcon.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
If you have 14 unbalanced characters, that equates to a pretty balanced top tier. A top tier that actually includes more characters than the first smash bros game even had.

The half of the time that jigglypuff's nap doesn't hit them, is you missing half the time.

Palutena relies on her custom specials that she has when you first boot up the game. I'm not sure why tournaments arent allowing them. Shes assentially another Mii. Quite good with the right specials.

Falco B attack spam does nothing.He actually got quite nerfed in this game. Never has this worked on me, with any of my characters. I beat that strategy with hitting the jump button?

Almost all your reasoning for characters being OP is you not being able to punish spammers. It's incredibly easy to beat a predictable player, regardless of which character they are using.

All in all, i play a lot on line. i have about 75% win rate after 500 or so games 1v1. I'd say theres no character thats been winning more than others. The best players i've played against so far played Pit, the next best i'd say was a zero suit. Oddly i've never ran into a single duck hunt online. I want the joy of being stomped by a high level duck hunt.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
The game is unbalanced around 1v1, sure. Sakurai makes Smash with a party game in mind though, meaning the game is balanced more around Free-for-All. And the game sure is more balanced there. Plus, Brawl was more unbalanced. You only saw Meta Knight there with the occasional Diddy, Ice Climbers, Snake or Olimar. Here though? You see plenty of characters very often.

EDIT: Also, no offense, but it seems half the stuff you are complaining about are due to your own lack of skill. You can't seem to deal with spammers or punish accordingly from what I could gather. B move spam is NOT a problem if you are good enough.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Bowsercide was in the other games, and is pretty tricky to get the spacing right (plus, it's only helpful in some situations and harmful in others).
Spamming one move with Yoshi/Rosalina won't get you anywhere. Blocking, air games, rolling, dodging, etc. exist.
Diddy Kong is a great character, but it doesn't make the game the most broken in the series.
I'm not a Sheik main, so I'll let someone who's familiar with the character elaborate on her weaknesses.
Why is that? Ganondorf is slow, has a bad recovery, and many of his moves have long startup (looking at you, up tilt). Sure, he's strong, but that's only one part of the equation.
No, I don't; why is Zero Suit so overpowered?
Ah, Little Mac. The character who would be overpowered if his air game was a quarter as good as his ground game. His aerials are useless, his recovery is terrible, and he's lightweight, so it's easy to knock him off of his turf.
Spam your B attack as Falco, they jump over it and attack you during the long start-up/end lag.
Yes, but a lot of moves can one-shot a Lucario at 100%, too.
A good player can DI out of Ness's fire pillar with ease and dodge the baseball bat during the start-up.
Captain Falcon's main weaknesses are a lackluster horizontal recovery and quite a few of his KO options being hard to hit (namely Falcon Punch and the knee), and doesn't possess any real overpowered traits.
Lucina's side tilt does 10%, and her counter is literally just like Marth's.
Instead of saying you can explain why Shulk is unbalanced, could you please explain from the get-go?

The setup of getting the opponent close to DK and then attacking (and sometimes charging a move after a KO)? Yes, very complicated indeed.
While she may not be the best character in the game, she does have some decent attacking options, and exceptional range on some of her attacks (namely up smash).
Again, not a Meta Knight main, so I won't go into detail on him, since I'm not very knowledgeable about the character.
If Rest doesn't hit, you're getting the spacing wrong (which is tricky to get right, I may add). If you're not doing well with her, you need to use her air game more often. She's like the opposite of Little Mac, but not as extreme.
Wii Fit Trainer's air game and recovery aren't useless (double jump > header > hula hoop with mashed special button), and there's more to a ground game than spamming projectiles.
Pac-Man's smashes, aerials, Fire Hydrant, Power Pellet, and excellent recovery exist too. I'd recommend actually looking at character data before making assumptions (which you clearly didn't, at least with that Lucina example).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's just you.

-Bowserside doesn't work anymore.
-You can shield against dash attacks.
-Once again, shield and grab.
-Diddy is strong, but with practice, you can overcome him in the areas that he lacks in.
-Sheik's also very light.
-G'dorf is good, but slow.
-No, I don't know why. She's not 'that' great.
-There's no attack that is impossible to dodge or shield. I'm starting to notice a trend here.
-I just... What?
-Don't get hit. Dodge, shield, and grab.
-No. No, no, no, no, no. All of my no.
-And...? That makes him broken... how?
-Shield... grab. Stay away and roll.
-Please do. For every buff, there's a debuff.

I don't even know where to start on your 'weak' list.

I suggest you become a component player, then try again. And please, with a little more detail.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Its just you... everything you just said about the OP characters are countered by... well... smart players...

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Meta Knight - Sure he used to be extremely OP, but now he's one of the worst characters in the game. You suicide more than you die (they can just dodge your drill and you're done for), and even if you don't he's not that great.
Something tells me that you haven't gotten good enough at the game to determine that committing to MK's side-b near the edge is a bad idea, and thus couldn't have a valid high-level opinion on the game.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Something tells me that you haven't gotten good enough at the game to determine that committing to MK's side-b near the edge is a bad idea, and thus couldn't have a valid high-level opinion on the game.
Stick a fork in this thread.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
The OP in a nutshell

Not kidding.
Bowsercide
He doesn't have the lead even if he has less damage than you, just hold toward the stage.
Do I even have to explain it?
To be fair, she is often considered broken and stuff, and some of the complaints are also justified, but not the ones about her neutral B, that's for sure.
What doesn't Sheik have?
Something that reliably kills under 150% without having to cap her opponent's rage?
Or are we going to talk about her close to inexistent range?
And priority:
All her non-trascendental attacks, but FSmash and USmash clash with Mario's Jab.
Diddy Kong has a great recovery
He dies by being hit from Sonic's spring.
It isn't fair either that you can be gimped to death because his Up B has no priority and that he can't kill anyone if himself isn't in danger pf dying.
So now a character is broken because one of his attacks deals 18% and another has absurd knockback?
:ganondorf: confirmed broken.
Everyone else that can just spam projectiles and win, especially :4falco:

See the previous reply.
Yeah, because in Brawl you never SD'd with any of his B attacks.
I don't know at what you are referring to, honestly, it always works with me.
Will zero-death'd Mew2King's :4diddy: in 10 seconds

I have no experience with the others, so I don't know.
I'm not harsh, just sarcastic.
So what should I say? The answer is just yes, I think it's just you. I think also you are abusing of the word "OP".
And for that matter, if "only" 14 characters dominated all the rest it's already the most balanced Smash game.

Last edited:

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Interesting how you put Lucina as an OP character and not Marth considering Marth is objectively better in almost every way.

obaid

Smash Rookie
Wow many replies in just 10 mins so cool how active ppl are in this forums.

My answer is, its just you i assume that ur not experienced enough with the game because yoshi rosalina are not that op, just think of how rosalina is easy to kill when luma is dead.Practice is the key my friend and sorry if that offended u in any way.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Honestly I can't take this seriously. This list is not very good. Some of your reasons sounds silly or the lack of you being able to counter or punish them, or both (Not to mention you don't even list out reasons for a couple of them and just assume that everyone knows what you mean).

Ganon and Lil Mac are the ones I feel completely sorry for you. I mean, have you seen Lil Mac recovery at all? And where do I need to start with ganon.

Falco spam and win? You can just jump ya know... or reflect with characters that can reflect projectiles.

Bowsercide and they win? Something tells me you haven't played the updated version yet.

Now I can go ahead and talk about everyone else but it seems that is already done by other people here.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
Sounds like you're new to Smash and having a hard time comprehending, which is fine, everyone begins somewhere.

ShayminKeldeo421

Smash Rookie
Sounds like you're new to Smash and having a hard time comprehending, which is fine, everyone begins somewhere.
Probably, I've only played SSB competitively for a few months. I understand most of the basics and have gotten pretty good as Villager and Dedede, but I kind of find it unfair how someone can use a character that requires less skill and win.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
It is too early weather to say the game is balanced but so far it seems to be the most balanced installment in terms of character viability.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Probably, I've only played SSB competitively for a few months. I understand most of the basics and have gotten pretty good as Villager and Dedede, but I kind of find it unfair how someone can use a character that requires less skill and win.
......And what if someone thinks villager requires less skill to win? We're talking about someone with great pressure, a wonky/interesting neutral game and projectile returns. Or Dedede, who is loathsome to anyone that hasn't mastered out-playing good spacing. Really, it's not as bad as you think. Just about every character takes some reasonable degree of skill to play with. Some are just harder to out-play than others, especially depending on who you are playing.

ShayminKeldeo421

Smash Rookie
......And what if someone thinks villager requires less skill to win? We're talking about someone with great pressure, a wonky/interesting neutral game and projectile returns. Or Dedede, who is loathsome to anyone that hasn't mastered out-playing good spacing. Really, it's not as bad as you think. Just about every character takes some reasonable degree of skill to play with. Some are just harder to out-play than others, especially depending on who you are playing.
I was more talking about characters like :4littlemac: and :4lucina: that take little skill, and are extremely powerful. :p I get most characters take skill, but the thing I dislike is how characters can still do extremely well if they are extremely easy to master.

Raijinken

Smash Master
This in a nutshell. Many characters' difficulties are directly related to the level of play. Spammy characters can be very good in lower level play, but it becomes a lot more dangerous to keep that up at high level play. On the other hand, landing things like Sheik and Zamus's combos can be really difficult at lower levels, but become much harder to avoid at middle and high levels of play.

There really isn't a dead-easy character to be good with over-all. It takes different degrees of practice to learn how to play as and against each character.

On the subject of Little Mac, he's got some extremely glaring weaknesses (I killed my brother at 4% once just by caping him next to the ledge). Learning to approach him cautiously can be a challenge for some players, but once you learn his tricks, he's actually one of the easiest characters to beat since the easiest place to kill people on most stages (offstage) is where he happens to be the worst character in the game.

Last edited:

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
I was more talking about characters like :4littlemac: and :4lucina: that take little skill, and are extremely powerful. :p I get most characters take skill, but the thing I dislike is how characters can still do extremely well if they are extremely easy to master.
Little Mac has no recovery or air game, and Lucina is inferior to Marth in almost every way.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm gonna have to say it's just you. You just need to become a skilled player is all.

Unregistered HyperCam2

Smash Rookie
NNID
RusselBuck
3DS FC
2793-0599-1315
Honestly, you just need to get good.
Shulk and Ganon are actually pretty outclassed.

ZSS, Yoshi and Falcon have somewhat safe Dash attacks if properly spaced, but you can always just shield and punish with a tilt or Smash. Lack of shield stun makes it pretty easy to deal with.

Bowsercide got nerfed like crazy and is piece of cake to avoid.

PK Fire is extremely punishable, it's not even funny. It has a crap ton of end lag and is pretty easy to get out of if it lands. Shield that **** and punish. If they land a hit, don't shield, just mash away. I feel like Ness's grabs are more of a nuisance to deal with honestly. His grab range is kind of rubbish to begin with though, so it kind of makes up for it.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Yet another "I can't shield so everyone i fight is OP" kind of player.
At least try to get good.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Can't speak for Lucina because I don't have much experience with her or Marth. Mac though? He's a glass cannon. He is a beast on the ground but as soon as you put him in the air, he's gone. You can string him to infinity by reading his dodges. Camp the ledge - he can't use his Side B if you do that. If he dashes in, shield/spotdodge/hit him depending on what you think he will do and your skill with spot dodging. After that, throw the poor guy off stage and gimp him with any character in the roster because they all trumph Mac's air game. As someone who plays a LOT of Mac, I can tell you - he's not overpowered. Far from it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You'll have to get more used to how each fighter operates. For example, with Bowser, suiciding with Flying Slam only works in Bowser's favor if he has the life advantage.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Before complaining about balance

If you're facing opponents who you only need to use Yoshi's dash attack to win that doesn't mean Yoshi's broken, it means they're bad. Doubley so if you're the one losing to it.

Smash 4 is much more well balanced than any of the previous games insofar that basically any character can be used in tournament and do well. Quit complaining and get good or stop playing. Bad Bait man.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
The balance between the characters seems to drop with every game that's made, and I find it sad. SSB is ruining their own series, I swear. Don't think they're unbalanced? I think I can easily make a list of the OP characters:

Bowser - The bowsercide is a cheap way to win, not to mention he's fast and powerful.
Yoshi - Literally all you have to do to win a game is spam your dash attack, it's incredibly sad. He's incredibly agile, has great range and disables, and to top it all off can easily stack up damage.
Rosalina and Luma - I don't think I need to say anything here, just go against someone and use nothing but your B attack and you'll win.
Diddy Kong - Incredibly fast and damaging multi-hits, great recovery and great knockback.
Shiek - The priority of her attacks is insane, they're incredibly fast and powerful; what doesn't she have?
Ganondorf - He's not extremely OP, but if you are against a somewhat-competent one you'll instantly lose.
Zero Suit Samus - I think we all know why.
Little Mac - Fast, deals a ton of easy damage, impossible to dodge his hits, etc. Need I mention a KO punch?
Lucario - He can 1-shot a Kirby with an uncharged smash when he is at 100%. Fair, right?
Ness - Just spam PK fire to get them up to 100%, then walk up to them with your baseball bat.
Captain Falcon - Fast, quick, and powerful attacks, he's also pretty tanky.
Lucina - A side-tilt deals about 18%, and her counter is insane.
Shulk - I could make an essay as to why he's so unbalanced.

Meanwhile, there are characters that suffer from being underpowered:

Donkey Kong - He doesn't stand a chance, his attacks require too much setup and he's pretty slow.
Palutena - All she has is defense. Nothing else.
Jigglypuff - A weak glass cannon, 1/2 of the time the nap bugs and doesn't hit them.
Wii Fit Trainer - She can be powerful, but her air game and recovery are useless, allowing you to only spam projectiles.
Pac-man - Weak attacks, weak knockback, all he has are projectiles that take 5 seconds to charge.

Feel free to disagree with me, but there are just so many flaws in the game, as it's hard to keep balance in a game with around 50 characters. The Nintendo team isn't really helping though, seeing as they buffed Shulk and Falcon.
Bowsercide has been nerfed and is not that easy to perform when you are a giant target that is completely vulnerable to projectiles.
Dash Attack is not what makes Yoshi OP. He has the Egg Toss that ruin approach/camp you. Not to mention side B, Egg Lay gimps, Yoshi Bomb to prevent juggle, fast smashes, perfect airgame and he is UNGIMPABLE because his second jump cannot be stopped and it reaches way too far.
If a Rosalina uses only B she is dead because she is light as Melee Mewtwo. In fact, B is her worst move, a reflect and she is dead.
Diddy's recovery suck, is as bad as Ness's and Dr. Mario's. With good timing you can mess up Monkey Flip because the end lag is huge. But I agree with everything else.
But sheik requires TONS of skill to use those moves to their advantage.
Yes, with enough skill I can beat Fox players with Pichu in Melee. I had fought very good Ganons, say, PrimerTMT, but it's a matter of getting the matchup right and skill. He has no safe approach anyway.
ZSS is overrated. She is beatable and requires lots of skill.
Little Mac is the easiest character to gimp. Plus easiest to juggle, hs no air game, no recovery.
This is not Brawl, Falco's laser is useful, but he has way better options than smpamming laser.
Yeah? Ness can kill Kirby at 40% with the tip of the bat. Kirby can kill Sheik at 25% with his hammer. Lucario is hard to use anyways. And skilled Kirbys should know DI or techniques to NOT get killed.
As a Ness player that is an insult. PK Fire is either the most useful move ever or the most useless move ever. A shield and I get punished. If I whiff it there is a 100% chance of getting punished. People can SDI out it and punish me with an FSmash. Sanic, Yoshi, Greninja and Sheik get out of it wiht no problem at all and punish. Plus, bat is only really useful for shield breaks and fighting Killager.
Cap. Falcon is hard as hell to use, and he is very easy to punish. A shield and he eats a throw. Once again, that magic word called SKILL.
So? All her kill moves are slow and have little range. Lucina's kill power in general is not good either. She relies on gimps and her slow smashes to kill. And her edegeguarding is very meh compared to Mars's. A bad timed counter is VERY easy to punish.
He is tormented with laggy aerials and Smashes. His counter is broken though, and his range insane. But then again, SKILL.

Have you seen good DKs? Or any DK at all? They put a lot of pressure. What if he is a giant target? There is a thing in every fighting game called SPACING. It's something giant targets use. And DK is NOT slow.
Palutenas playstyle IS like that. There is something called "Defense is the Best Offense."
MK's drill suck in the first place. Next, his range sucks. And he requires a ton of skill to play, and people don't use him because they don't want to invest their time and money with him. Maybe he very good, but people are too busy playing Diddy and Sheik to notice it.
Once again, that's Jiggly's playstyle. Any good Jiggly should know DI and survival skills so geting killed is not the issue. Her renage sucks, but putting the wall of pain and juggling is her thing. And Rest is hard to land on it's own but with good skill landing it is not a problem.
Wii Fit's recovery truly sucks, but she is a combo heavy character, and it takes time to get used to her awkward aerials.
You must be kidding. That ******** yellow ball is more annoying that the DHD. All he does is camp you with fruit and hidrant. Ifyou get near he Smashes you and if he dares to approach he uses DA that has tons of priority at launches you far enough for more camping.

Bijan

The 5-0er
you named half of the rooster for unbalanced characters... doesn't that make the top tier balanced?

you also accused my main of being OP (C. Falcon) please you try using him and then maybe you will realize the time and skill Falcon mains put into they're character, also Falco OP? u just suck kid

Last edited by a moderator:

PCHU

Smash Lord
Despite how iffy I am about this game, I actually applaud it because I can't think of a single character that I think is garbage tier aside from maybe Wii Fit Trainer and possibly GnW, but both of them have enough quirks to at least sort of work as unorthodox characters (as opposed to just being outright bad in every way like Brawl Ganon).
I like that I'm seeing more variety, but it is a shame that not every character "meshes well" with this game's engine as well as characters like Sheik, Diddy, and Fox do.
It's far from unbalanced, I'll give you that, but it still comes off to me like Nintendo either hasn't figured out what makes solid characters solid or they don't care (and I kinda think it's the latter); I understand well that none of the developers can account for everything, but simple things like keeping Lloid rocket intangible for almost a second before firing while Dedede's gordo can be reflected upon spawning (as in before it's even launched) or like Captain Falcon retaining that small boost from Falcon punch in midair and being able to recover while DK's Giant Punch makes him go into freefall, little stuff like that just keeps reminding me that they don't really care as much as we'd like to think they do.
Of course, these are comparatively small aspects to Brawl/Melee's problems, but I do wish they'd pay a little bit more attention to the things that keep people playing the game, seeing as there really isn't much to offer this time around in the field of Single Player in comparison to past iterations.

But anyways, the game is a little unbalanced; however, in general, they did a pretty good job, especially keeping in mind that balance wasn't their focus.

Quen

Smash Rookie
This must be a joke. Even if every claim is true your list still shows the most balanced smash game with 14 imba chars.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ganondorf's cheap? He's not hard at all to gimp. He has some armor but not the highest priority ever. He's very very slow, and the armored isn't for every move. Yes, he takes a lot to kill. That's what is supposed to balanced him out. Palutena is definitely not as good without her customs, but she's not awful either. Nobody honetly is. There's still a tier difference overall, as some are clearly better, but not to a significant degree. Brawl was way less balanced than this. Zelda and Ganondorf were complete gutter trash, as was Link. In here, they're actually pretty good. Meta Knight was ridiculous in Brawl, and is pretty fair in here. Even in 1 on 1, it's still relatively balanced. The most fut of any game. Smash 64 had few characters and you were more likely to be gimped by the course, which hurt the competitive scene a bit. Ness was the only one with a major weakness due to a poor jump and an easy to stop recovery. Jigglypuff and Yoshi still have strong jumps on their own. Melee is a close second, but only due to a superior course list over Smash 64 and way better balance than Brawl. Even the lowest of characters had some points. Kirby was the least good, of all people, too. Pichu was considered better, and we're talking about top highest play tiers. Which means it was gone into heavily, for 10 years now(the latest list was not that long ago either, within the last few years).

And yeah, it's pretty clear you lack practice more than anything. Some characters will give you trouble. Rosalina is very good, there's no question about that. I did just fine for virtually no practice with Ganondorf at a tourney. I did not win, but I proved I still could do well just due to the fact he was similar to his Brawl self.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
OKAY, WHAT. This is a lie. Spamming Falco's neutral B is NOT effective in the slightest. All it takes is shielding or jumping over it.

Little Mac has no recovery or air game, and Lucina is inferior to Marth in almost every way.
Eh, the Lucina VS Marth thing is really subjective.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Despite how iffy I am about this game, I actually applaud it because I can't think of a single character that I think is garbage tier aside from maybe Wii Fit Trainer and possibly GnW, but both of them have enough quirks to at least sort of work as unorthodox characters (as opposed to just being outright bad in every way like Brawl Ganon).
I like that I'm seeing more variety, but it is a shame that not every character "meshes well" with this game's engine as well as characters like Sheik, Diddy, and Fox do.
It's far from unbalanced, I'll give you that, but it still comes off to me like Nintendo either hasn't figured out what makes solid characters solid or they don't care (and I kinda think it's the latter); I understand well that none of the developers can account for everything, but simple things like keeping Lloid rocket intangible for almost a second before firing while Dedede's gordo can be reflected upon spawning (as in before it's even launched) or like Captain Falcon retaining that small boost from Falcon punch in midair and being able to recover while DK's Giant Punch makes him go into freefall, little stuff like that just keeps reminding me that they don't really care as much as we'd like to think they do. I still think Smash 4 has very good balance.
Of course, these are comparatively small aspects to Brawl/Melee's problems, but I do wish they'd pay a little bit more attention to the things that keep people playing the game, seeing as there really isn't much to offer this time around in the field of Single Player in comparison to past iterations.

But anyways, the game is a little unbalanced; however, in general, they did a pretty good job, especially keeping in mind that balance wasn't their focus.
I still don't get why the flying **** PK Flash puts Ness into helpless. It doesn't make ANY sense at all. It doesn't help you to recover at all. Things like this an the DK/DDD things you said stand out. And this is a reason why people like P:M, because the people behind P:M CARE about this stuff. Yet they create an imbalanced mess with Mewtwo and Lucas players everywhere and leaving the Ice Climbers to rot. They are not garbage but nobody uses them. With Smash 4, MK, Charizard and GnW don't suck, but nobody wants to use them. Everybody just want to play Diddy, Sheik and Fox because they are "easy and safe." Yet again, there will be an AmSa and a Gimpyfish for the characters that aren't seen that much.

Last edited:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
The most unbalanced? Have you ever played Brawl?

This game seems by far the most balanced with almost every character having plenty of options

Adelvos

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry about your shield button being broken, as well as your jump. I would recommend switching controllers or remapping.

I can't take this thread seriously

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I feel that you have probably not been part of the smash tournament scene. This is easily the most balanced SSB game so far. The kind of hard counters and unwinnable match-ups that were prevalent in other games of the series don't really exist anymore.

Last edited:

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Eh, the Lucina VS Marth thing is really subjective.
No it's not. Do some research on the topic and you'll find that Marth is objectively better in almost every way. It's only slightly subjective at low level play, which is completely irelevant as far as tier list and OP characters are concerned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom