• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just me or is Sakurai using sse to make a new "Kirby" game?

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
It's just you. By your logic hes making a new loz game too because gannondorf is one of the main evil thing and link is one of the first people you play as and loz games have clear % and zelda and gannondorf have important roles. I could say the same for mario. These franchises are important and adventure games frequently have clear %.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Kirby/Metaknight/Dedede play a much larger role then alot of the other characters, it's a shame.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'm excited to hear that SSE resembles Kirby Superstar, because I recently replayed KSS and it is sooo awesome. Unfortunately it's entirely possible to beat over half of that game in two hours (if you take your sweet time) so, more time with Subspace!

I'd say Sakurai is proud of his platforming formula. I would be, too! Something about it is utterly addictive!

I don't know about the characters' involvement though, since I've been staying spoiler-free (in regards to SSE).

No it isn't. You're probaly thinking of the one that got cancelled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Wii

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Smash plays like Kirby because it's made by the same guy. This is how he makes games. Anyone who played Superstar will tell you that ALL the Smash games play like it, and when they announced Subspace, well I would have honestly been suprised if it didn't play like Super Star because that game does indeed play like Smash Bros in a one player adventure.

It's really not news to anybody used to Sakurai's games. If anything, if HAL still owns the rights to Kirby and they make another Kirby game without Sakurai, you can expect THAT game to be different from the other Kirby/Smash games.

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
Well... yes. its not a bad thing... but. it is rly similar to kirby games. except. ur not kirby. UR EVERYONE WOOOOOOOO

tanfastic

Smash Apprentice
I think it plays like a kirby game but no, if you mean another kirby story, most people will choose mario at the begining anyway (I heard you can choose but idk) But most characters are in the story (Excluding three I think) so no it's going to do with a lot of others than just kirby characters.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
I think it plays like a kirby game but no, if you mean another kirby story, most people will choose mario at the begining anyway (I heard you can choose but idk) But most characters are in the story (Excluding three I think) so no it's going to do with a lot of others than just kirby characters.
It most likely plays like a kirby game because Sakurai designed/directed/made the kirby series as it is :laugh:

And forget that! Where's that awesome Kirby game that they announced for the wii back before release!?

=Samus-Aran=

Smash Journeyman
Dedede and Metaknight are in a lot of cutscenes in SE. He might have done it over with the Kirby characters just a little too much.

=S-A=

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Dedede and Metaknight are in a lot of cutscenes in SE. He might have done it over with the Kirby characters just a little too much.

=S-A=
Well yes, the representation Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight are definatley represented one of the best.
However, it's been noticed that Sakurai, in a way, balances out the representation of series outside the SSE.
(Low # of Kirby or Starfox stages, but got 3 reps. Metroid technically got 2, but plenty of stages. The Mario series lost a rep, but got more stages.)
But that's just my opinion.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
The subspace emissary seems more and more like the kirby games, with The clear % thing. Also who is one of the first characters you play as, also the halberd is the first "evil" thing you see. Also I've heard Meta-knight and dedede play an important roll later on.
Prove me wrong, prove me right, provide suport, just discuss.
I completely agree with you and am really glad I'm not the only one who noticed the Kirby fascism, but I already created a thread for this in the Kirby character discussion thread.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Actually there are alot of similar more so then that when comparing KSS to Smash.

First of all unlike most of the Dream Land Series and Kirby's Adventures (Understand I never played the 64 game) Special Abilities in KSS could do many different attacks with combations of different controls. The Cutter Ability is has been quite common across all the games. In KSS you could throw the cutter or Tap attack over to do the final cutter when you were near an enemy. When you hit attack while dashing would do a swing of the cutter, and pushing down in the air and attack you'd drop down with the cutter at an angle (Which looks oddly like Sonic's Dair in Brawl). Though there are obiviously more combations in Smash then in KSS it was a similar concept.

Another concept in KSS, the helper concept which would allow Kirby to give up his ability to summon a parnter which could be controlled by the 2nd player which was also fairly similar to the way SSE co-op works. But more then that, in KSS most helpers couldn't do the flying like Kirby does so to make it across gaps, they could perform a continual jump that moved much like Kirby's flight. Though it was restricted to one for most characters in Smash, for alot of characters it looks quite similar to that thought train.

KSS by most I've met has been considered the Highlight of the entire Kirby series. It's not really all that surprising that Sakarai made it similar, it was a formula that produced positive results and it looks like it works for the type of game it is.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
it is like kirby. Its the only way he knows how to make a platformer. Unfortunately his formula doesn't translate well on a home console in 2008. Its gonna be repetitive and bosses will all be of the same style as master hand.

Luckily Brawl is still all about the multiplayer, which is what we are all gonna be playing after beating the subspace.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Well I thought that SSE is freaking awesome. I honestly think that the cutscenes and the storyline is amazing, but a bit confusing at times. If u don't like kirby, u should not play this game.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Um, a lot of games use clear percentages to track your progress (Metroid Prime anyone?). Can't comment on the Meta/Dedede thing since I've been avoiding story spoilers, but from what I've seen it seems mostly based off the non-combat regions from Melee's adventure mode in style anyway.

Zevox
Well Metroid Prime's % counter is more of the # of upgrades you earned. Say like in MP3
get all 100 upgrades and you get the special ending. Lol Thank God for the Chozo Item locater in
Skytown
would of taken me Months to find them lol. But then the scan Visor helps too.

anyways DeDeDe plays a really important role. Except no one knows or acknowledges it

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
I love kirby games and when I first saw SSE thats what it reminded me of haha cant wait to play SSE !

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well I thought that SSE is freaking awesome. I honestly think that the cutscenes and the storyline is amazing, but a bit confusing at times. If u don't like kirby, u should not play this game.
Are we seeing the same SSE cutscenes?

Top Bottom