• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it faster to get all the characters thru SSE or VS?

Hound

Smash Cadet
I heard SSE only takes about 10 hours so that would probably be faster than playing hundreds of Vs. matches.

Lantz

Smash Apprentice
People who want to know if it's faster to get all characters through SSE or VS.

moose878

Smash Rookie
Well me and my friend got all the characters in this game pretty fast by playing VS matches...plus its more fun/effective if you just invite a bunch of friends over and play, rather than only have two ppl play at a time.

NotEz

Smash Journeyman
or you could just have a 1 stock easy comp play you and rack up the vs matches like that...

i did that with melee. for like 2 hours one day i just played an lv 1 computer 1 stock. each matchc was about 10-20 seconds lol i got like 200 vs matches every hour or something

iron blade

Smash Ace
Even though you would have to play hundreds of VS matches to get everyone, it would probably end up faster than the SSE because you could play one stock sudden death. Personally, I'm unlocking everyone via the SSE because it looks more fun.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Depends on how you play VS matches. Sonetimes it might be faster than beating the SSE, othertimes SSE is the fastest method.

If you want to unlock them all in one sitting, just go through SSE.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, VS matches will get boring after a while. SSE is the way to go if you want to unlock all the characters without anything getting repetitive.

Revven

FrankerZ
or you could just have a 1 stock easy comp play you and rack up the vs matches like that...

i did that with melee. for like 2 hours one day i just played an lv 1 computer 1 stock. each matchc was about 10-20 seconds lol i got like 200 vs matches every hour or something
Or you could make it even easier on yourself by just doing Stamina with Special Brawl and set the CPUs HP to 1 and have the flower activated while you have 300 HP. IMO, that'd be the quickest way, just 1 second and the match is over.

FenrirIII

Smash Cadet
Method 1: SSE
Takes about 10 hours total to unlock everything, barring gameovers, getting lost, etc.

Method 2: Vs. Matches
Takes exactly 450 Vs. Matches to unlock the last character, Wolf.
Quickest way - Two humans set on 1v1 with 1 stock on Final Destination, have player 2 kill themselves (since player 1 is going to challenge the newcomers as they appear). Each match should take about ten seconds including stage-select and the results screen. That's 4500 seconds, give or take. Add in the time it takes to defeat the challengers, let's say 30 seconds each. 14 x 30 = 420. Total time = round up to 5000 seconds for simplicity's sake. 5000 seconds = roughly 83 minutes, or 1 hour and 23 minutes.

Conclusion: Vs. Matches are SIGNINFICANTLY faster. Heck, even if there are some characters you can't get this way and have to play other modes, like Events or Targets or Multi-Man, you'd still save loads of time.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Special Brawl.

Stamina match, you can set your opponents stamina to 1, put a flower on their head, and the match lasts a whole second. Repeat this match 450 times (probably take a few hours) and you get all of the characters.

It's supposedly the fastest way, but I'd rather enjoy unlocking them, not bore myself for hours doing it.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I imagine super sudden death mode with a level 1 computer would yield the fastest results. Play someone speedy, fight someone light, pick a small level, do a dash attack, and the fight is over. Rinse/Repeat. In a couple of hours you could likely have everyone that way.

Zevox

J18

Smash Journeyman
if you're really going for speed, than definitely VS. just find the fastest way possible to do a match, and keep doing it. won't take more than 2 hours if you really do it the fastest way.

Zek

Smash Ace
Vs. matches are faster, if you just sit there and grind it out the whole time. I don't know about you, but I'd rather just play the game.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Question for those that said special Brawl: Does that count to your VS. Match total? (Special Melee didn't do that as far as I know)

I prefer classic mode IMO for the characters. Bu not all may be unlocked that way. So for those I can't, I'll go through the SSE. (Unless in the case of Ness, Marth, or even Luigi. Because I may just want to practice on a lot of matches before I tackle classic or the sse. Need to see how exactly the gameplay is different from Melee.)

jgrant1100

Smash Apprentice
Takes about 10 hours total to unlock everything, barring gameovers, getting lost, etc.

Quickest way - Two humans set on 1v1 with 1 stock on Final Destination, have player 2 kill themselves (since player 1 is going to challenge the newcomers as they appear). Each match should take about ten seconds including stage-select and the results screen. That's 4500 seconds, give or take. Add in the time it takes to defeat the challengers, let's say 30 seconds each. 14 x 30 = 420. Total time = round up to 5000 seconds for simplicity's sake. 5000 seconds = roughly 83 minutes, or 1 hour and 23 minutes.

Conclusion: Vs. Matches are SIGNINFICANTLY faster. Heck, even if there are some characters you can't get this way and have to play other modes, like Events or Targets or Multi-Man, you'd still save loads of time.
thats very helpful i was wondering that to

Isn't ROB only unlockable by playing matches?
Um, Subspace Emissary much?

Anyway, all hidden characters have 3 methods of unlocking:

1. Get them to join your party in the Subspace Emissary.
2. Play a certain amount of matches.
3. Some special way unique to each character (reflecting projectiles for Ness, beating Classic for Marth, etc.).

§leepy God

Smash Master
It's faster doing the VS. You have friends that has the time to play a high jaked up amount of matchs or just do one stock with a high handycap. However, the SSE can get you torphies and you don't have to do a quick match to get the characters you get, (except for Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf of course). But I find it easy to get it in VS. matchs.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
why do people keep saying hundreds of vs matches? I thought it only takes multiples of five or ten to get each character.

2L84U

Smash Journeyman

Yes this is faster but d*** boring. (however you can unlock all the stages/stage music with this method simutaniously)
same to hundreds of 1 stock sudden death.

why do people keep saying hundreds of vs matches? I thought it only takes multiples of five or ten to get each character.
cause you have to play 450 matches to unlock Wolf.

and for you information, Robot can be unlocked only through match accumulations and SSE.
no 3rd method.

Enyo

Smash Rookie

These calculations are appreciated. :D

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
Probably fastest to do each of their alternate methods, although some such as Sonic can only be unlocked in the SSE or through vs., but I think the SSE is faster than vs for the ones that cannot be obtained in a different way.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
What happens if you use a mixture a both. I'm pretty sure that sse alone is much slower. Considering Sonic is unlocked at the very end.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Probably fastest to do each of their alternate methods, although some such as Sonic can only be unlocked in the SSE or through vs., but I think the SSE is faster than vs for the ones that cannot be obtained in a different way.
Actually you can unlock Sonic also by playing through Classic on any difficulty with 10 characters
wolf requires 450 vs. Matches, but in SSE you find him in the middle. SSE takes 8-10 hours. Definitely SSE is faster for all characters.

But in order to get Wolf, Jigglypuff, and Toon Link in SSE. You must return to the Ruins level AFTER you beat SSE. So it might be a little longer. But not by much.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I'm really considering the vs matches is because it will bring back some nostalgia seeing the black silhouettes and having to battle them in order to get the character. This is the reason I'm not sure which to do. Though I think I will probably do SSE.

Definitely SSE is faster for all characters.
Definitely not for all of them. Marth and Luigi can be unlocked just by beating Classic mode, but in the Subspace Emissary, you don't get Luigi until the very end. Ness can be unlocked by playing five matches (which can literally be done in 1-2 minutes), or reflect ten projectiles. That can be done in a single match.

I will say it again:

Me said:
Anyway, all hidden characters have 3 methods of unlocking:

1. Get them to join your party in the Subspace Emissary.
2. Play a certain amount of matches.
3. Some special way unique to each character (reflecting projectiles for Ness, beating Classic for Marth, etc.).

aho43

Smash Lord
if you're trying to unlock them all as fast as possible vs mode is the fastest. by 6 hours or so. this is assuming you are playing with sudden death one stock or any other config that makes the matches a few seconds at most. you just do that over and over and over again til you have everyone. it will be boring as hell.

Top Bottom