• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it better to practice on FG 1v1 or against lv 9 CPUs?

How do you practice?

• Total voters

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I have seen a lot of different opinions regarding methods of practice, and I'm interested to see which is more popular or effective.

I personally practice on FG 1v1, but that's only because I can't stand winning or losing when its only a computer that lost/won against me. Boring! I want to know that I've beaten/lost to a real person. However, if fun were put aside, which is a better method of training?

Last edited:

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
If you and your opponent have a good connection, then definately for glory. If there's lag or input lag then it's not really good to train... Cpu's are stupid and only use airdodges or shields or counters when you attack so you can't ever bait something... They're stupid.... I hope they will do a better job on them in the next smash game

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Optimally, I'd say the best practice would be against a real person, since For Glory can be laggy. I wouldn't practice against computers too much unless you want to experiments with your opponent powershielding, which computers are usually good at. An Amiibo might be a decent option, but usually people feed them with upgrades and whatever and they learn off of your abilities unless you're using someone else's. So if you can't play against a real person or simply want to spice it up as you might be getting used to that MU or how that person plays, a nonlaggy For Glory is your best bet. That's why I hit other haha

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Depends. If you've already invested in a LAN adapter or Ethernet cable (or plan to in the future), then FG is the better option. If you don't, then you'll just run into a wall of lag if you step foot into that danger zone. Level 9 CPUs aren't much better, though; they can literally read your button inputs on the spot, which often leads to a lot of impossible matchups.
Better yet, grab a friend with stable connection (or play them in person) and practice with them. There's not usually as much lag as in FG, so it'll be a more level playing field.

Last edited:

KCB: Cloth

Killer Combro
Baiting and reading: FG
Technical practice: CPU

Alot of fg players fail to punish tiny errors, or shield properly. In that sense I'd say you should really try to add good players online, or FG could really make you a worse player. You wouldn't be developing in a proper way.

Last edited:

Radirgy

Smash Apprentice
You should always do both. Offline for execution, Online for general player improvement.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Doing For Glory 1v1 matches is probably better since you're playing against real people, but this might not always work out well because the connection can be slow, as others say, or the person you're playing might not offer you much chance to improve your skills, i.e. you can beat them easily. The latter doesn't depend on you, though, so you'll eventually find someone who's challenging for you if you try it enough times.

I don't think Level 9 CPUs are awful to train against- I'm not really a competitive player, though, so take that how you will- but they aren't human, so your experiences against real people will most likely be different one way or another. I hear others commonly say that the CPUs are dumber or ridiculously quicker in response than humans, but if you're fine with that and/or that's not the case in your own experience, you can train with Level 9 CPUs.

Although if you use Miis or play with Customs on, you won't be able to play For Glory 1v1 matches without question, of course.

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
I'd say both. I wouldn't go with a level 9 computer, though. Playing computers helps you practice your basics (tech skill, punishing, spacing, combos, etc.)

For example: I see a lot of Captain Falcons on FG that can never convert their down throw into anything. There's no reason that Falcon shouldn't be getting combos off of his down throw at least 90% of the time.. That's why you practice your execution on computers. You don't want to miss out on free damage.

At the same time, you want to make sure that you keep the computer training specifically for execution. You don't want to exploit bad habits from computers. That's what For Glory is for. Because you're playing against real players, it's more of a psychological training (baiting, reading, pressuring, etc.) The only problem is that For Glory tends to have a lot of lag. You could lose many matches that you shouldn't have lost, and it'll cause frustration. Your best bet is to find some good players (with fairly good connection) and just have matches with them.

Level 9 computers are terrible, though. The highest I would go is 6. I usually only play against level 1 computers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Level 9 CPUs make you do stuff that's not good against human players. At the same time though, For Glory can suffer from lag, which can potentially mess you up big time.

Superfiremario

Smash Apprentice
I would say For Glory is the better option. On For Glory you face actual humans who are for the most part much smarter than a computer and the CPUs are very predictable and facing a human requires much more strategy and reading your opponents. Besides, if you want to train for facing humans, facing another human would probably be the best bet. For Glory does have lag problems, however.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am not the right person to ask... but i will answer anyway.

But i have found CPUs are terrible training partners beyond the most basic things.

They read controller inputs perfectly when it comes to the air game...

I swear my grab button frequently sends a signal to them instead of my character...

And anything advanced they seem to have an answer for...

But they are really vulnerable to dash attacks, and other simplistic things that would be the 1st thing a human learns to deal with...

Online is iffy with lag... I like playing it when connection is good but this is such a fast paced game that any lag can ruin it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's better to train with friends than to use For Glory since the lag is so unbearable.

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
I usually play on FG but I hoped that they would make CPUs like how amiibos are right now in smash 4

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
CPUs are good for some stuff, Captain Falcon just does Falcon Kick over and over again and I used that to learn to spot dodge rather than rolling. Does everybody really get lag that bad on FG? My wifi connection isn't anything special but I don't think it ruins matches all that often.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
This thread does make it seem like every battle on for glory is filled with lag, which isn't really true. Half the time there is no lag at all, or it isn't enough to affect the battle. However, about 10% of the time, the lag can transform the game into something completely dependent on luck and blind attacks. While that may not be very good for training in, it isn't too common. Although, I see what people mean, in that when you play offline, 100% of your matches will run at a constant 60 FPS, which is nice.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Lag always affects the battle. Just because it's not obvious doesn't mean that it's not important.

The same amount of lag effects different games differently.

In an RTS game, it won't make a huge difference.

In a game like smash, with precise dodge timing is needed, any input lag what so ever alters it a lot.

I see why smashboards has different rankings for online and in person... not quite different games but some adjustments do need to be made.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Anther's Ladder > For Glory > Amiibos ~ CPUs > For Fun

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's pretty clearly some form of organized matchmaking in place on for Glory, considering the last remotely "free win" I've gotten was off a Pikachu with shield taped down for some reason. It's also good for learning how to deal with jank like roll spamming Samus players and such, which is actually pretty important if you're still green.

Top Bottom