• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it better to leave tap jump on or off?

Loops

Smash Apprentice
I leave mine on but its hard to initiate u-tilts well for me :S.
I've heard if i leave tap jump off it can fool around with your aerials though help?

BlackWaive

Smash Rookie
I use Up to jump/float.

U-tilts haven't been a problem for me, but that's probably because my joystick is damaged enough to make everything a tilt.

Hype

Smash Lord
it depends your character alot too. with marth you must to have it on so you can up b out of shield, but with snake it rather have it off for the easy mortar slide.

Hype

Smash Lord
I like having it on for MK too because he can easily combo is Uairs and he can also up B out of shield. but i don't see any reason why it would hurt (or help) Dedede. I'd go with it on unless it really feels awkward.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
I turned it off. I found it a hell of alot easier to do combos and obviously u-tilts. I used to use MK for a while as well and found it easier with him. Maybe it's just me though.

CO18

Smash Hero
I really suggest turning it off with Dedede since his Up Tilt is one of his best moves and youll be using it frequently and you dont want to jump by accident instead.

Plus its annoying when trying to DI and you jump.

Tyser

Smash Champion
I leave tap jump on. I dont have a problem Utilting with it on and also, I like using up to jump when Im doing a Bair/Fair frenzy (I normally use X to jump).

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I myself am trying it with tap jump off, but it seems so much different. At least it keeps me grounded a lot more when Y's jump, I have a tendency to try to play an air game, which doesn't work well for Dedede. (Mostly used to doing air combos with sonic or lucario, no idea why though, I don't play them much -.-)

At any rate, I do get tilts of MUCH MUCH easier with it off, so now I can finally do all those tilts I always seemed to make smashes instead, wounder why?

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
I have it on. It makes it a heck of a lot easier to do stuff in the air, especially combos. Also, doing a reverse arial rush is much easier with tap jump.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
it depends your character alot too. with marth you must to have it on so you can up b out of shield, but with snake it rather have it off for the easy mortar slide.
hurfadurp, nevermind

Tyser

Smash Champion
Some people dont realize this is the Dedede section. We dont wanna hear about tap jump for other chars like Snake and Marth. They arent welcome here.

Munas

Smash Cadet
Some people dont realize this is the Dedede section. We dont wanna hear about tap jump for other chars like Snake and Marth. They arent welcome here.
Lighten up, I was actually finding that information useful. It may not be in the right section to go in depth, but it gives some perspective for Dedede players as to why tap jump is or isn't a good idea based on the abilities of Dedede and the other characters mentioned. I find it to be a good method of contrast.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I've found I work better with Tap jump ON, helps a lot with getting areals in and the like, I just have to be very careful with timing the Utilt right, the smash is easy, the Utilt is harder to do though.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Tap jump ON... So far it hasn't affected my gameplay at all... Maybe when doing the double jump D-air but that pretty much it...

Royale

Smash Journeyman
I myself am trying it with tap jump off, but it seems so much different. At least it keeps me grounded a lot more when Y's jump, I have a tendency to try to play an air game, which doesn't work well for Dedede. (Mostly used to doing air combos with sonic or lucario, no idea why though, I don't play them much -.-)

At any rate, I do get tilts of MUCH MUCH easier with it off, so now I can finally do all those tilts I always seemed to make smashes instead, wounder why?
im having a similar problem trying to perform tilts for my metaknight, so im gonna give tap jump off a try too. From how i've used y jump before, it makes a character like metaknight alittle more graceful in the air. I feel like i can get the most out of my jump heights when i y button it.

plus when you think about the mechanics of tap jumping, you have to focus on manvuering the joy stick while timing B and A moves.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
The only reason to have Tap Jump in is to UpB out of shield. I'm pretty sure this would be useless for Dedede. Tap jump on or off has nothing to do with aerials, it's easy to make the transition and you wont find yourself doing double jump uairs or jumping uairs instead of utilts.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Want to do flawless up tilt combo's and air combo's? Turn tap jump off. If you want to come back by holding up, or want to jump out of your shield faster. Turn tap jump on.

Turning tap jump off will take some time to get use to, but if your too use to it, you might want to play with a name all the time.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Want to do flawless up tilt combo's and air combo's? Turn tap jump off. If you want to come back by holding up, or want to jump out of your shield faster. Turn tap jump on.

Turning tap jump off will take some time to get use to, but if your too use to it, you might want to play with a name all the time.
thats pretty much the way to go, just set it up so you have different names and different configurations for them.

thanks for the heads up on the UpB out of shield

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Hm, i think i might turn it off for my D3 and on for my Marth and MK cause i never hit the u-tilt for D3 at the right moment it always leads into a u-smash lawl.
Lastly, anyone have any tips on RARing cause sometimes i can do it consistently but other times he always turns in front to do a f-air.

Top Bottom