• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it bad to be a campy and spammy Olimar?

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
I usually get compliants about being both on all is brawl even though I aggressive in my matches :/

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
I win when I spam and camp. But I gt bored of doing that so I end up being aggresive since it's riskier and more fun. I just wondered because I hate it when the losers always point out that I spam as if it were a bad thing

Sudai

Stuff here
short answer: no

long answer: no
I laughed.

I win when I spam and camp. But I gt bored of doing that so I end up being aggresive since it's riskier and more fun. I just wondered because I hate it when the losers always point out that I spam as if it were a bad thing
Simple response: "No Johns"

If you look at it, they're literally saying "I can't believe you use an effective strategy that I'm too lazy to figure out how to get around. Do you know how freaking cheap that is?" Just laugh and ignore them. Or if you just want to frustrate them, that's when you say no johns. : )

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I get this all the time. People will complain about the camping, and then when they learn to get past that, they'll complain about something else like his kill power or his grab. Then they'll find other things to complain about that don't even make sense. I've gotten... "His recovery is too good. That rainbow thing is ridiculous." LOL. Try to get used to it and don't let it bother you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing to win, and if it's allowed and it's the way to win, be sure to use it and abuse it. No johns, ever.

If you look at it, they're literally saying "I can't believe you use an effective strategy that I'm too lazy to figure out how to get around. Do you know how freaking cheap that is?" Just laugh and ignore them.
May I sig this? :)

Olimarman

Smash Ace
No. In friendlies maybe, but at the competitive scene absolutely not. Why should you lower your chances of winning money to let others increase theirs? Its brawl. Spam away, and just ignore them. The classic "no johns" phrase is usually applicable after whining about your playstyle.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
"omg stop teh campin"

"you mean like this?"

then camp that much harder. you also might wanna add a taunt that says "all i know how to do is camp" and do that every time someone complains. lulz are pretty much guaranteed at that point

RichBrown

Smash Master
For about a 2 month span I was camping like a mofo, and then I felt bad because I would camp in friendlies against randoms and they would get all upset, so I decided to learn how to play aggressive as well in case I ever needed it. Well then I started playing aggressive full time and it screwed me over, and now I'm back to camping like a mofo. It's coming along nicely, my goal is to set up a wall so strong that I never get hit. Ever. I was playing some of my friends yesterday who I play frequently and they were quitting matches because I was camping them and ****** them so hard.

And also, if you are a good camper, more things will open up, and it will allow you to be more aggressive. Oli is dangerous as heck against an opponent that starts to leave themself open.

asob4

Smash Champion
camping leads to aggressive play
it's awesome

that is how oli is played and should always be played
only be aggressive when it is necessary

RichBrown

Smash Master
Sometimes I like to get really aggressive on my opponent's second stock and unleash all my mindgames. Here's my logic:

1st stock: Put up a wall. They can't hit you, and they will get frustrated as heck, and then you kill them.

2nd stock: They respawn, and they just wanna beat the **** outta you. This is when you go into aggressive **** mode and get their damage up to about 50-70% in about a 5-10 second span. I always whistle my whites forward, then I'll toss the white and immediately toss the purple, then run in for the grab. Even if they shield the purple, they will be shielding, and you have a window to grab them. But it almost always results in the white being latched, the purple knocking them back, then grab-upsmash-uair-uair/upB. And then land, wait for them to DI towards you (because that's what they all do) and charge a downsmash. **** **** **** ****.

3rd stock: They kill themself because you ***** their first 2 stocks so hard :)

Dyyne

Smash Ace
If you can really successfully camp for 20 minutes in a 3 stock match...I think that's more along the lines of you sucking/refusing to kill or your friends sucking.

SmashLumpy

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I like to get really aggressive on my opponent's second stock and unleash all my mindgames. Here's my logic:

1st stock: Put up a wall. They can't hit you, and they will get frustrated as heck, and then you kill them.

2nd stock: They respawn, and they just wanna beat the **** outta you. This is when you go into aggressive **** mode and get their damage up to about 50-70% in about a 5-10 second span. I always whistle my whites forward, then I'll toss the white and immediately toss the purple, then run in for the grab. Even if they shield the purple, they will be shielding, and you have a window to grab them. But it almost always results in the white being latched, the purple knocking them back, then grab-upsmash-uair-uair/upB. And then land, wait for them to DI towards you (because that's what they all do) and charge a downsmash. **** **** **** ****.

3rd stock: They kill themself because you ***** their first 2 stocks so hard :)
I agree that you can use a mixture of camping and aggressive play. I also believe that when fighting a smart opponent who can figure out how to get past your defenses is when the camping should cease and perhaps another style of play should be in order. I must admit though that I play aggressively most of the time and camp in times of desperation(Not the best idea regarding my last few matches).

asob4

Smash Champion
camping should ALWAYS be top priority at the start of a match
once you get a stock lead it's ok to tone it down a bit

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
How about we turn this thread into a discussion of the camping wall?

Okay, say you're camping someone and all of a sudden they're running at you like a motherf***er. Let's build up a list of **** they do when they reach you, and the **** you can do to stop their ****.

I'll start.

I'll say if they're approaching from the ground, one idea would be to fast fall, forward smash and go for the grab when they shield.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Usually, when my opponent approaches me angrily after I perform the pikmin wall, I Nair into them and then follow up with up smash to Uair

RichBrown

Smash Master
If they are running in at me I usually just throw a Fsmash out. If they shield it it pushes them far enough away (unless they power shield but I try to throw the Fsmash out before they get to close to punish by power shielding). Nair works pretty well too.

Skank: If you lose your first stock.... well I don't really know. Just throw more pikmin?

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
To answer the OP's question, it depends on the context. In a tourney match or something similarly serious, or a match in which both players are playing to improve and practice, there is no problem with spamming/camping. That is how Olimar is played at his most effective and it would make no sense for an Olimar to not play in the most effective manner in one of these settings.

However, in casual, "just for fun" play, I would consider camping to be pretty cheap, by which I mean a strategy that is easy to do but is tedious and/or difficult (depending on the character) to overcome. It's the kind of strategy that kind of sucks the fun out of the game, if not for you, then for whomever you're playing against. If they want you to go all out, then obviously it would be doing them a disservice to not camp, but otherwise it's kind of a ***** move.

Top Bottom