• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is dair-fair-rest a true combo?

InternetSandman

Smash Rookie
NNID
InternetSandman
From what I've seen discussed about puff it seems one of the only reliable ways to confirm into a killing rest (other than dair jab locking but idk if that works to a high enough% to kill with rest) but whenever I've tried it against good players they always manage to airdodge just before I activate rest. I can only think of two explanations:

1. It is true, I'm just waiting too long to activate it because I'm scared of being too far away and whiffing
2. It isn't true, and so against good players I lose one of the only reliable ways to set up into rest

I don't wanna be hesitant about using rest in a tournament, so the more I know about when I can or can't activate it to kill, the better. I recently beat #10 on Vancouvers PR using puff (vs a Donkey Kong and Lucario player), but the 3 rests I landed were reads rather than confirms, and I'd like to know for sure about rest confirms

NightmareQZ4

Smash Rookie
Yes this is a true combo at some percents, the trick is knowing what percents and what characters. It mostly relies on your movement while using Dair to get close to them to get the confirmed combo. I've been trying to get some people to help me lab and see what percents it works against characters so if you want to help me with that let me know.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
More generally fair to Rest will work depending on all the usual factors including character weight, fall speed, percent, how close you are when you hit them, and whether you get the early of late hit of fair. You usually have to be close to them and hit with the early hit, or be kind of away from them and hit with the late hit, but either way you have to be ascending and at high horizontal momentum.

Properly executed, dair puts you in a good position to either jump out of it and Rest, or go for a jumping fair, and then Rest. You can also get fair to Rest followups out of an aerial Pound.

Top Bottom