• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Christmas obsolete in the modern era?

Should changes to the distribution of presents be proposed?

• Distribute present on a basis such as daily or weekly. That way everyone feels gratified sooner.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy as you please. Taking advantage of sales and discounts means I can obtain what I want easier.

• I don't celebrate Christmas.

• Total voters

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The holiday of Christmas is staunchly imbedded within our cultural fabric, especially in Western countries. It's the one time of the year where kindness and gifts are mutual. Christmas means a lot of things to many. But there's one aspect of it that has become quite invasive, especially with the advent of smartphones, tablets, and online retailers.

I'm talking about the consumerist meaning we've given Christmas. Busting your ass and wallet to obtain materialistic presents as some sort of symbolic gesture about how much we care about someone. Black Friday and Cyber Monday go into full swing starting in November. Many electronics, toys, etc., have sales and discounts left and right because its time for the likes of Macy's and Walmart to make a huge profit.

I'm not going to demonize this aspect of contemporary holiday culture. I mean, who doesn't like free stuff? Their demand for things becomes faster than it was when many teens and young adults today were growing up. In our digitally integrated world, our shopping is made quick and easy with online retailers and app stores. There also isn't much worth waiting December 25th or the next party to give and receive your gifts because we often invest ourselves with the releases of information out of every game, movie, smartphone, tablet, etc., that hype is extremely transient and we want to experience as much of these things as soon as possible. I can buy myself any of these things at any time of year and the effect would not be different. Even for families with children, they're being raised around technology. So this vicious cycle is only replicating.

I'm arguing that the whole 'waiting for Christmas for gifts' custom is slowly becoming an obsolete practice. Teaching patience through it isn't effective in negating this either. We should introduce ourselves to newer methods of gifting. For example, say you have a wife and children. Each of you knew what they wanted and you have gone out of your way to obtain those gifts. Within a week's time, you were able to get most, if not all of what you all wanted. You set a relaxed time such as a Saturday for this first round of gifts. Don't forget about things that haven't arrived to your home yet, weren't available at the time, and loved ones you will be seeing who will likely give you something. Throughout the same day of this month, these new wares will be provided to you until January where things are back to normal.

Do you think our Christmas gifting has become obsolete in the modern era? Have I not touched upon everything? Discuss with us what you think. Have a happy holidays!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why not make presents instead of buying them then?

Santa Claus

Seasonal Smasher
It's not just about the presents, it's about spending time with family and friends, spending time with your loved ones, and showing your appreciation for them. Yes, this often takes the form of presents, but there are still many other forms to show this.

That and if it was obsolete, I'd be having to look for a new job! Ho ho ho!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not just about the presents, it's about spending time with family and friends, spending time with your loved ones, and showing your appreciation for them. Yes, this often takes the form of presents, but there are still many other forms to show this.

It no longer snows when you post!!!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

Exactly. This is what Christmas truly amounts to. But I was leaving that out of my topic because it's not the aspect I'm addressing. None of my older family members regard what they've received for Christmas with the same value as being together. They only got those because their parents wanted to show them how much they love them.

Why not make presents instead of buying them then?
Not sure what you mean by this. We can't just replicate the fancy products they usually ask for like that. Yet alone give it all to them at once.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not sure what you mean by this. We can't just replicate the fancy products they usually ask for like that. Yet alone give it all to them at once.

One of my friends is an artist who painted me a ****ing awesome picture. The time, effort and care that went into that outweighs any product produced by a big company.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
That sounds cool. You can already expect surprises, just not what exactly they entail. Hence why nobody really fills their list with surprises.

Godsdamn, this thread makes me sound like a ****ing materialist.

Top Bottom