• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anybody else puzzled by Final Destination being the only choice in the competitive online mode?

Do you believe that only FD for competitive online matches is fine?

• Total voters

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
Final Destination isnt the only stage available in for glory mode. Sakurai already said the stages with a final destination form factor will appear in for glory as well. The only problem I see is that he didnt bother to keep platforms on the stages that already had them. Competitive smash players dont just play all flat stages. Platforms are an important part of stages and in most cases ties into some characters playstyles.

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who thinks that FD is a fair stage has obviously never played a good Falco on FD.
It doesn't have to be fair, it has to be indifferent.

Online matchmaking can certainly be competitive, but it's no tournament. As long as the match is serious and competitive in nature then the For Glory matchmaker is doing it's job. Plus, FD is a fairly common pick regardless, practicing on a stage that you're at a disadvantage on is a good way to practice mitigating that disadvantage. It's not perfect but it's certainly better than nothing.

Plus any serious match that players want to have and set up, can be done by choosing a different stage. This is just for a match against someone chosen basically at random.

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Because when a developer cuts a big corner with a highly requested feature like this, no one should speak up :ohwell:. Dropping all platforms is a shortcut to making more stage assets viable, but that quick fix comes at a cost to players across the board.

See, this isn't an issue exclusive to the competitive community. If you enjoy playing online with anyone under the best possible network conditions, well I hope you enjoy FD. No getting around that now.
As much as I am aware the competitive audience wants the same options they give themselves in tournament settings, this is sakurai you're dealing with and we all know his vision for this game is miles away from what melee/hardcore players have grown accustom to.

It's honestly amazing he even went this far.

Mode

Smash Cadet
Umm everyone keeps saying final destination is the most picked stage in brawl, but from my competitive experience it's second to smashville.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Umm everyone keeps saying final destination is the most picked stage in brawl, but from my competitive experience it's second to smashville.
In competitive matches Smashville is the most common yes, here in America anyway. However for the causal competitive player it would be FD. (I also think Japan, even if FD isn't the only played stage there like I originally thought, plays on FD the most, possibly)

JediLink

Smash Ace
Plus, FD is a fairly common pick regardless, practicing on a stage that you're at a disadvantage on is a good way to practice mitigating that disadvantage. It's not perfect but it's certainly better than nothing.
But how am I supposed to practice power shielding online?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Over the entire course of online Brawl, I could guess that FD was the most picked stage. Sakurai got his data from online Brawl, so there you go.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Hopefully he is open to improving these modes we need some platforms for this mode as well. I don't wanna fill up my friendlist just for stage variety.

Shel

Smash Cadet
There was /no/ irony in that post. I suggest you get schooled on what irony actually is as most people can't seem to grasp the concept. Including you.
You're that dense eh? Ironic because you claim I'm contributing nothing yet in that same post you contribute what? Nothing. Absolutely nothing to the discussion. I'd argue that your post is even more worthless than my original -- but I really don't care that much.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
I'm puzzled by it, and I don't like it. But maybe that is years of getting crapped on by my brother who plays falco talking. Platforms were the way to get in and I liked them. They were much more neutral feeling than fully flat stages like FD. But hey, lets be honest. WE ALL KNOW that actual player rankings or rules won't be made by Nintendo.

Heck, even Pokemon's competitive scene uses different rules than Nintendo's official ones (because they are broken). So even if Nintendo acknowledges the competitive scene like in X and Y, doesn't mean they'll do it right.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
You're that dense eh? Ironic because you claim I'm contributing nothing yet in that same post you contribute what? Nothing. Absolutely nothing to the discussion. I'd argue that your post is even more worthless than my original -- but I really don't care that much.
That's still not irony lmao.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
FD is generally considered a fairly balanced stage. Battlefield would be nice but FD is an okay choice too.

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet

At the current moment it is the only stage in For Glory mode.
Yes
and shortly after Sakurai posted that photo, he stated the final destination stages are playable in for glory mode. "Now the for glory lobby has plenty of variety"
Smash Bros.png

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Yes
and shortly after Sakurai posted that photo, he stated the final destination stages are playable in for glory mode. "Now the for glory lobby has plenty of variety"
Every stage has been given a FD mode. Therefore FD is the only playable stage at the current moment in For Glory mode. He was talking about backgrounds.

Shel

Smash Cadet
That's still not irony lmao.
Arguing semantics and what constitutes irony is not my cup of tea, but given your last spout and how hilariously misguided you were ... perhaps this is the better place to make your stand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom