• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anybody else puzzled by Final Destination being the only choice in the competitive online mode?

Do you believe that only FD for competitive online matches is fine?

• Total voters

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Imo it should've been both FD and Battlefield. It just feels weird to only have a stage without platforms while platforms usually are so key in this game. In the end it all comes down to character balance though, we'll see how many characters become unplayable because of the only FD thing. Still glad with the mode though, maybe a bit too limited but fine nonetheless, it's just for playing randoms anyway.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Imo it should've been both FD and Battlefield. It just feels weird to only have a stage without platforms while platforms usually are so key in this game. In the end it all comes down to character balance though, we'll see how many characters become unplayable because of the only FD thing. Still glad with the mode though, maybe a bit too limited but fine nonetheless, it's just for playing randoms anyway.
Is your comment based upon the gameplay being similar to previous smash?
Im not saying battle field is bad is more like in final destination where bad air characters are not forced to jump would have an fighting chance and that makes me think that's what sakurai had in mind.
Becuase lets admit. chaacter like little mac would probably be at a disadvantage facing metanight on battle field but on FD it seems like they can both fight each other more evenly.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Not sure if I missed it or not, but did Sakurai mention whether it's stock matches in For Glory Mode? And how many stocks ect, or is it selected at the start.

But yeah I don't think FD only is a game breaker but obviously could be improved via a select screen.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I'm starting to think that maybe FD could end up being a decent stage this time around. In Melee, platforms were super important because wavelanding allowed you to maneuver around them very quickly. In Brawl, FD was just way too small, and many characters were hella broken on that stage. We'll just have to wait and see how it is for Smash 4.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Final Destination is the ultimate balanced stage. No platforms and no distractions. Just you, and your opponents. Those who win on this stage are the most powerful, and that's all.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Final Destination is the ultimate balanced stage. No platforms and no distractions. Just you, and your opponents. Those who win on this stage are the most powerful, and that's all.
Nope, it's not the ultimate balanced stage. Battlefield is universally agreed to be much more neutral stage in all previous titles, and some characters really need platforms to do their stuff. A flat stage like FD makes certain types of character much harder to deal with, namely projectile-heavy characters.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
FD is all that is needed. Have you guys ever seen your stage lists and how far they vary? The reason you only got FD, is to satisfy the most hardcore players. You simply cannot expect Sakurai to accurately predict how the meta game will be, and which stages would probably be allowed playable in the tournaments. This was the easiest and most efficient way to do it. Like it or not, but FD is completely fair. You could say some characters benefit with the aid of platforms, but that's the same as saying some characters benefit from sloped stages or scrolling stages. You have to meet in the middle somewhere, and that's FD, a flat stage with no bells or whistles.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I personally love the Final Destination options for every stage, so I don't have any issues.

Although, I can't wait to see how they handle FD Living Room and Balloon Fight, and Pilot Wings.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I don´t care, I will only play online with my friends (if I wanna be serious) or for fun.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that For Glory mode should have Final Destination AND Battlefield... not only Final Destination... maybe Sakurai can change it.... the games aren't out yet... though they are coming really soon.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
If you found yourself asking Sakurai for a competitive online mode and are still whining after this, you really need to stop.
Yeah seriously after how Nintendo handles Melee's comp scene and Brawl, anything encouraging a competitive player base is something to be cherished.
I'm a little out of the loop with this "Final Destination" mode though. So it removes all map hazards and it's mandatory for comp online?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I don't even like FD much (though I love the new one's looks) after all the ppl (mainly in Basic Brawls) picking it so much, and I fear it'll happen again in time. Battlefield woulda been nice too, but this FD only thing is only gonna make Diddy, Falco, and ICs (if they return) better, implying some of their techniques are still there. At least the game should be more balanced than Brawl, though, right?

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't even like FD much (though I love the new one's looks) after all the ppl (mainly in Basic Brawls) picking it so much, and I fear it'll happen again in time. Battlefield woulda been nice too, but this FD only thing is only gonna make Diddy, Falco, and ICs (if they return) better, implying some of their techniques are still there. At least the game should be more balanced than Brawl, though, right?
Hopefully.
Though I did like the "Final Destination version of stages" idea.
At least there's some variety there...

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
While I do like the concept, a FD version of ****ing Battlefield is taking it too far. It's like he thinks that platforms are some sort of hazard.
FD is all that is needed. Have you guys ever seen your stage lists and how far they vary? The reason you only got FD, is to satisfy the most hardcore players. You simply cannot expect Sakurai to accurately predict how the meta game will be, and which stages would probably be allowed playable in the tournaments. This was the easiest and most efficient way to do it. Like it or not, but FD is completely fair. You could say some characters benefit with the aid of platforms, but that's the same as saying some characters benefit from sloped stages or scrolling stages. You have to meet in the middle somewhere, and that's FD, a flat stage with no bells or whistles.
While I do agree that he handled it in the best possible way for now, saying that FD is completely fair is flat out wrong. Truth is, some characters just dominate with no platforms around, as seen in both Brawl and Melee. That's why FD isn't the only legal stage out there, and while it is considered a starter, most people view it as a counterpick and often ban it.

Also, saying that platforms offer benefits in the same way slopes and scrolling stages do is a stretch. I do concede that it is true in some cases, but they do not help the cast nearly as much as platforms do. Platforms add so many options to help people get around projectiles, encourage more vertical combos, help fastfallers escape chain grabs and offer a potential mixup for recovery. That's why adding a stage like Battlefield or a neutral Pokemon Stadium would be a good idea.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It's not perfect, but it's SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD that who cares!? This is for WIFI. It's not exactly hardcorest-tourney-mode anyway. For a generally-useful random-skill-matching online play that will help us all get practice and improve, this mode sounds awesome!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It's not perfect, but it's SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD that who cares!? This is for WIFI. It's not exactly hardcorest-tourney-mode anyway. For a generally-useful random-skill-matching online play that will help us all get practice and improve, this mode sounds awesome!
Agreed.

(Love that avi!)

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
At the very least, I'm glad that they made the stage choice in "For Fun" random. It seems like the only stages that existed in Brawl's random matchmaking were Final Destination and Temple...

I think having Final Destination only is fine - It's a good step that actually acknowledges the competitive community, and provides a way to quickly get into a serious match, completely balanced or not. If we really want to go full-tourney rule-set, we can just play with friends locally or online. We shouldn't expect Sakurai to completely cater to our every whim, especially considering that there are divisions in our own community - it'll be impossible to please everyone.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think it's a fine decision, as For Glory Mode =/= a tournament. It's literally just you playing against randoms, and there is no real stake in it, unlike a tournament. For Glory Mode is simply a way for competitive players to practice against real players when they don't have a buddy handy, where the process of getting into a match is quick. This is a god send for me, as all of my Melee training is done against the terrible CPUs (and is kinda pointless for me as I will never get to enter a Melee tournament because I'm stuck in Ireland). Online tournaments will actually involve the exchanging of friend codes to make the stage list bigger, and regular tournaments will work like they always have.

Khao

Smash Lord
I don't mind FD only too much actually. I'm kind of far from being a competitive player, but I always saw Final Destination at the place where **** gets real.

I would prefer getting Battlefield too, that's honestly kinda my favorite stage even for 4-player item matches with my friends, but eh, whatever.

What I'm more worried about is not being able to play stock matches, if that's the case I'm seriously not gonna bother with either mode at all, I'd rather play offline against computer players than playing a mode I don't like against strangers.

Last edited:

Shel

Smash Cadet
I'm not competitive myself but the competitive players that I met are in that Final Destination Fox Only No Items type of people, so I think it would have pissed off a lot more people had they not had it just be FD
no.
The reason for Final Destination being used for the competitive play is because that stage has no hazards and platforms. In other words, everyone will be fighting on even ground.
haha, oh lord no.
If you found yourself asking Sakurai for a competitive online mode and are still whining after this, you really need to stop.
just...no...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Shel, your post doesn't really contribute a lot to the conversation. Why do you disagree with their statements?

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Shel, your post doesn't really contribute a lot to the conversation. Why do you disagree with their statements?
Don't sugar coat it for them.
Their post contributed /nothing/. I can't even tell if they're a melee elitist from that post.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I like how people are saying certain characters will be disadvantaged on FD even though the game isn't out yet.

I was just watching the latest GameXplain analysis and they noted a few changes to veterans that I never noticed (DK now has his roll attack from DKC, Link has the jumping slash from Ocarina of Time, and his back roll is now the back flip he uses when Z Targeting, to name some examples of character changes).

I doubt the balance will be perfect, but we really should wait until the game is out and we try For Glory mode before we condemn it. This might be more balanced than past games.

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
While I'm happy to see Sakurai catering for competitive play, as somebody who doesn't like playing with items but enjoys a wide variety of stages, I feel a bit left out. I'd like to either be able to do "For Fun" with items disabled or select a stage list in "For Glory" and be matched with other people who have selected whichever of my stages is chosen by the game.
this. though i'll certainly be playing a lot of for glory since i have to choose the way it looks now. i'll probably prefer fd no item spam then variety and items, though i'll certainly give for fun a try, maybe i'll change my mind.

edit- also stocks over time any day, i really dislike time.

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
It's foolish to assume that this is a bad choice to make the main stage for online competitive play since we're not the ones play-testing and messing with character formulas to balance the game. I'm no developer, but I assume it's easier to balance all the characters around one stage rather than two or more.

I trust Sakurai with this game.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
You see, at the end of the day i can live with FD only, but if sakurai actually manages to make this mode time based instead of stocks, ill start a riot. It would end up in sudden death every second match!

Shel

Smash Cadet
I don't need to say why really. It's been stated already and common sense should tell you why.
Because those statements are obviously just factually wrong?
This guy gets it.
Don't sugar coat it for them.
Their post contributed /nothing/. I can't even tell if they're a melee elitist from that post.
This guy doesn't get it. Nor does he get irony. This post is dripping with it.
While I do like the concept, a FD version of ****ing Battlefield is taking it too far. It's like he thinks that platforms are some sort of hazard.

While I do agree that he handled it in the best possible way for now, saying that FD is completely fair is flat out wrong. Truth is, some characters just dominate with no platforms around, as seen in both Brawl and Melee. That's why FD isn't the only legal stage out there, and while it is considered a starter, most people view it as a counterpick and often ban it.

Also, saying that platforms offer benefits in the same way slopes and scrolling stages do is a stretch. I do concede that it is true in some cases, but they do not help the cast nearly as much as platforms do. Platforms add so many options to help people get around projectiles, encourage more vertical combos, help fastfallers escape chain grabs and offer a potential mixup for recovery. That's why adding a stage like Battlefield or a neutral Pokemon Stadium would be a good idea.
This guy definitely gets it. Just a few posts above mine. No need to restate what's been clearly laid out but anyone who has actually played on FD against good players know how bad a flat stage is for some characters. As this guy said, and others noted, battlefield would probably be the most neutral stage. Imagine trying to be competitive against falco on that stage as jiggly puff or someone else with spammy projectiles. That's why BF works the best.

It would have been better to have FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's story, and Pokemon Stadium. Megaman's stage looks fine without the yellow devil.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
*Shrug* no one is going to be using For Glory for any actual tournament battling so I'm okay with it. I'll be fine jumping on for some random, pseudo-balanced fights against peole on the other side of the world. But I'd probably frequent for fun more often.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I don't need to say why really. It's been stated already and common sense should tell you why.

This guy gets it.

This guy doesn't get it. Nor does he get irony. This post is dripping with it.

This guy definitely gets it. Just a few posts above mine. No need to restate what's been clearly laid out but anyone who has actually played on FD against good players know how bad a flat stage is for some characters. As this guy said, and others noted, battlefield would probably be the most neutral stage. Imagine trying to be competitive against falco on that stage as jiggly puff or someone else with spammy projectiles. That's why BF works the best.

It would have been better to have FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's story, and Pokemon Stadium. Megaman's stage looks fine without the yellow devil.
There was /no/ irony in that post. I suggest you get schooled on what irony actually is as most people can't seem to grasp the concept. Including you.

Last edited:

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
i think a lobby/pick system like metroid prime hunters used could be nice. i really loved that game and i do hope it gets a contineuation remake/ game that plays the same way on the 3ds i played this game so manny 100's of hours i broke my r button ( my shoot button for that game) and i had to buy a new ds.

Last edited:

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I said other:
Having FD as the only stage streamlines the online matches, but there are other stages that could be used.
But, people could just use the offline modes or W/Friends.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Because when a developer cuts a big corner with a highly requested feature like this, no one should speak up :ohwell:. Dropping all platforms is a shortcut to making more stage assets viable, but that quick fix comes at a cost to players across the board.

See, this isn't an issue exclusive to the competitive community. If you enjoy playing online with anyone under the best possible network conditions, well I hope you enjoy FD. No getting around that now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom