• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ireland & Northern Ireland Thread!

Valentttine

Still learning but we getting there
It's one thing having a practice partner, it's another playing against strangers. You gotta prepare for them doing something your friend would NEVER do. And all that tech is thankfully just practice, there's no real knack to it. And yeah, I sucked the start of the year, but even though I got knocked out in Newry I'm proud that I had a game each set, but next time I aim to take a set. It's all minor improvements just building up ^^
You're dead right about playing different people, I can get used to my friends playstyle and we talk through our thought process for each mistake and try fix them but against somebody i know nothing about it's a whole different game. Luckily one of the things i ended up being natural at is adapting my play to the person im playing against so hopefully i can evolve that.

Fair play man, I love the mindset there I've huge respect for anyone who can stay positive and keep plugging away, hopefully the guys who ran the last Newry tourny can make it regular and you can get some experience in against new people, I was kicking myself when I missed the last event in Dublin so I'm dying for the atmosphere of an event next month.

bpjk27

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4965-4738
If there's ever a melee tourny in UCD can you post it here I have 4 people(me included) who are very interested, at least 2 of us will enter
There probably won't be another tournament at UCD this semester. However, if something comes up I'll be sure to post about it.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Any news on O'Smashathon 2?
I haven't had much free time to check this out but was wondering if there's any updated info.

Lultam

Smash Cadet
Is there an Irish Skype group for netplay/hanging out? I've heard the newest netplay build is really solid for melee and PM.

I'm strongly considering making the trip to heir II the throne, are there any other of ye going?

MCDMars

Smash Rookie
I'd be going if I had money to blow on it. It looks incredible, and it'd be awesome to have the opportunity to be bodied by, say, Armada lol

toadee

Smash Cadet
Is there an Irish Skype group for netplay/hanging out? I've heard the newest netplay build is really solid for melee and PM.

I'm strongly considering making the trip to heir II the throne, are there any other of ye going?
yes there is a skype group, most of the people there will be up for games of smash4. add me on skype "adam_todd96" and say you want added and I will add you in

and at the moment there are 8 confirmed going to heir II (including myself) so that should be fun :)

Last edited:

RyanEvi

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanEvi
yes there is a skype group, most of the people there will be up for games of smash4. add me on skype "adam_todd96" and say you want added and I will add you in

and at the moment there are 8 confirmed going to heir II (including myself) so that should be fun :)
Heir hype!

Lultam

Smash Cadet

Sweet! I'll be back in ireland next week so I'll give you an add then plus I'll prob book all the necessaries for heir then. Hype!

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
About time I joined in this thread.

We have a pretty inactive IRC for Smash discussion here:
https://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#SmashIRL&server=irc.mibbit.net
Like Todd mentioned we have a Skype for discussion and stuff so feel free to ask if you want to join. Frequent discussion and making fun of Ryan serious gameplay analysis!

Main reason I'm here though is to advertise an upcoming online Smash Wii U tournament. It'll be round robin and super fun and stuff. Hope to see y'all there.
http://smashbrosirl.challonge.com/smashbrosirl4

There's also going to be a tournament in Belfast on May 9th at Slayers 24. There'll be tournaments for Melee, PM and Smash 4 along with other setups like Street Fighter and Rock Band if you're into that kind of thing. These are generally a ton of fun and a great place to get serious practice in. There's early buses from Dublin and the venue is a short walk from the Europa bus station.
https://www.facebook.com/events/401810730001986/

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Just dropping in to say hi.

Last edited:

Valentttine

https://www.facebook.com/events/1568521440077722/

In case anyone didn't see and is interested in Project M, it's not the main game of the tourny and the dublin bus strikes start tomorrow so it'll be a pain in the hole to get to if you don't live in town/drive but it could be good craic, wish there were more melee tournaments on around though.

Valentttine

Hello all, we're almost at the long weekend so things are looking up :) I've got plans to spend tomorrow night having a mini 3/4 man melee tournament between me and my mates and get locked in the process, maybe a money match to sort out some undeserved ****talking I was getting this week :p What's everyone else doing this weekend?

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Essays and deepcleaning my flat.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
does anyone else find it really hard to get stuff for smash bros??? like i cant find a gc controller adapter or wii lan adaptor anywhere

Valentttine

Essays and deepcleaning my flat.
Oh man don't remind me about essays, I've been trying to avoid one like the plague.

does anyone else find it really hard to get stuff for smash bros??? like i cant find a gc controller adapter or wii lan adaptor anywhere
I got my mayflash adapter and a controller on amazon, worked out a little over 40 quid I think but it was well worth it and only took about 5 days or so to arrive.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Haven't looked for a LAN adapter, but I got my official GC adapter with the game and had to search long and hard for it. Those things sold out like hotcakes so damn quickly. Was crazy.

snook

Smash Apprentice
https://www.facebook.com/events/1568521440077722/

In case anyone didn't see and is interested in Project M, it's not the main game of the tourny and the dublin bus strikes start tomorrow so it'll be a pain in the hole to get to if you don't live in town/drive but it could be good craic, wish there were more melee tournaments on around though.
That seems pretty cool, ****ing buses though. Hell I can't even go home for the weekend because of this.

Oh also : https://www.facebook.com/events/827279547320811/
Looks cool enough in September, there're two other events leading up to that in Galway and Cork during May and June.

Going to the Cork one anyway, anyone nearby should check it out.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I won't be able to make either Galway or Cork, unfortunately, but I'll definitely be going to the main event. I've been chatting to some players from mainland UK and so far I've got Yackabean, Ixis, PidgeY and GP all interested in coming. Gonna chat to JMiller on Saturday and see if we can get more awesome representation in.

Also, as a reminder, there'll be an event in Belfast next Saturday for Melee/PM/Sm4sh so come to that for fun times and stuff.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
http://gp-tips.challonge.com/DS4Singles
Y'all better come to this **** next time and rep Ireland with me.

More seriously, this event in London along with Hypespotting 4 in Glasgow and last week's RVS in Birmingham gave me a good opportunity to see how Ireland stacks up against the rest of the UK in Smash 4. The answer is, surprisingly, really well. I mean, I'm by no means the best Irish player right now (although I plan to take that title asap...) and I managed to finish fifth - bearing in mind that 2nd through 4th were all French players and 1st was #JKILLER. That's not to say that mainland UK is free as hell or something but the gap is definitely much smaller than I initially thought. With such frequent interaction and leveling up here in Ireland I don't see any reason why we couldn't become the strongest UK region. Besides JMiller. He's pretty good.

We all need to keep working and getting more tournaments organised to keep improving like we have been doing. When the English and Scots come to Ireland for Celtic Throwdown in September, we gotta wreck 'em.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
http://gp-tips.challonge.com/DS4Singles
Y'all better come to this **** next time and rep Ireland with me.

More seriously, this event in London along with Hypespotting 4 in Glasgow and last week's RVS in Birmingham gave me a good opportunity to see how Ireland stacks up against the rest of the UK in Smash 4. The answer is, surprisingly, really well. I mean, I'm by no means the best Irish player right now (although I plan to take that title asap...) and I managed to finish fifth - bearing in mind that 2nd through 4th were all French players and 1st was #JKILLER. That's not to say that mainland UK is free as hell or something but the gap is definitely much smaller than I initially thought. With such frequent interaction and leveling up here in Ireland I don't see any reason why we couldn't become the strongest UK region. Besides JMiller. He's pretty good.

We all need to keep working and getting more tournaments organised to keep improving like we have been doing. When the English and Scots come to Ireland for Celtic Throwdown in September, we gotta wreck 'em.
its really just luigi thats good,,i dont think miller is that great

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Yeah that's just not true. He can trash everyone in the country with any character he feels like. He's such an incredibly patient player and he makes all the optimal trades and victories little bit at a time. I don't wanna get hostile or whatever but to suggest Miller is carried by Luigi is just wrong.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Yeah that's just not true. He can trash everyone in the country with any character he feels like. He's such an incredibly patient player and he makes all the optimal trades and victories little bit at a time. I don't wanna get hostile or whatever but to suggest Miller is carried by Luigi is just wrong.
then y doesn't he????? luigi has hidden brokeness and i strongly believe that the character amplifies peoples skill level,,i can go in depth on why luigi is busted ,if you want?

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Luigi is definitely a strong character - he's arguably Fox's hardest matchup, after all, so I know that as well as anyone having been on the receiving end of Miller's Luigi.

As for why he doesn't pay other characters - he plays a lot of different characters in friendlies but Luigi is his best character and favourite character since Brawl. He didn't just pick up Luigi now because he was good, he just loves the character for how he plays. On the same token, why didn't every single player just play Diddy last patch? Incredibly easy, obviously the best - but we don't necessarily enjoy that playstyle as much or they want to just play who's fun. I play Fox because I like the StarFox series and he's very fun to play. Fun characters tend to be stronger - they have more options, less lag and more speed than lower tiers which makes playing them generally feel fun for a lot of the playerbase. That's not to say all low tiers are boring - I love playing Ike, for example - but Ike's options are generally terrible competitively outside of a select few that he will constantly spam in neutral like grabs, jabs, Nair and Bair. Different people find different things fun and there's nothing wrong with that. Miller plays a very patient, safe game and Luigi compliments that very well. I don't judge anyone for playing the characters they do as long as they're having fun as the game is, at the end of the day, just about enjoying yourself.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Luigi is definitely a strong character - he's arguably Fox's hardest matchup, after all, so I know that as well as anyone having been on the receiving end of Miller's Luigi.

As for why he doesn't pay other characters - he plays a lot of different characters in friendlies but Luigi is his best character and favourite character since Brawl. He didn't just pick up Luigi now because he was good, he just loves the character for how he plays. On the same token, why didn't every single player just play Diddy last patch? Incredibly easy, obviously the best - but we don't necessarily enjoy that playstyle as much or they want to just play who's fun. I play Fox because I like the StarFox series and he's very fun to play. Fun characters tend to be stronger - they have more options, less lag and more speed than lower tiers which makes playing them generally feel fun for a lot of the playerbase. That's not to say all low tiers are boring - I love playing Ike, for example - but Ike's options are generally terrible competitively outside of a select few that he will constantly spam in neutral like grabs, jabs, Nair and Bair. Different people find different things fun and there's nothing wrong with that. Miller plays a very patient, safe game and Luigi compliments that very well. I don't judge anyone for playing the characters they do as long as they're having fun as the game is, at the end of the day, just about enjoying yourself.
lol i judge people heavily on the character they play...luigi is just soo irritating he gets one grab ,30-70 % more grabs more damage,,,and whats worse he has down b to kill out of a grab....I despise luigis and sonics..but i guess thats just my mindset

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Nah I totally agree with characters being annoying to play against - not a fan of Rosalina or Sonic - but judging people off what they find fun is a bit much. Some people find play defensively fun; personally, I enjoy going ham enough for an entire country but everyone's playstyle is different. That's the beauty of Smash's individuality - as well as Sm4sh's huge, varied roster.

I'm gonna chat to the TO of Celtic Throwdown next time I get the chance to see about maybe getting some Melee in there. JMiller expressed definite interest in Celtic Throwdown (as long as there were no customs - something I can very easily see a Street Fighter TO agreeing with) and I'm gonna get in contact with Izaw if I can. As far as I know, all of the top Irish players outside of @ArikadoX have confirmed they're coming and he said he'll try his hardest too. A top 16 bracket including JMiller, Ixis, Yackabean, Pidgey, Izaw, Mint, Maxy, Koopa/Pher, myself, Arikado, Mikenyan, Way would be genuinely awe-inspiring - and that's not even counting the other high level English players that expressed interest like GP, Wildfyre and Zangrief (athough Zangrief is Irish so #represent and all that). This also isn't counting the constant Irish talent popping out of nowhere and we have plenty of tournaments between now and then to get better.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
That reminds me: Where the ******** is Berra at? I need ROB practice.

P.S. RIP in princess customs. You will live on in my casual-ass friendlies.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Nah I totally agree with characters being annoying to play against - not a fan of Rosalina or Sonic - but judging people off what they find fun is a bit much. Some people find play defensively fun; personally, I enjoy going ham enough for an entire country but everyone's playstyle is different. That's the beauty of Smash's individuality - as well as Sm4sh's huge, varied roster.

I'm gonna chat to the TO of Celtic Throwdown next time I get the chance to see about maybe getting some Melee in there. JMiller expressed definite interest in Celtic Throwdown (as long as there were no customs - something I can very easily see a Street Fighter TO agreeing with) and I'm gonna get in contact with Izaw if I can. As far as I know, all of the top Irish players outside of @ArikadoX have confirmed they're coming and he said he'll try his hardest too. A top 16 bracket including JMiller, Ixis, Yackabean, Pidgey, Izaw, Mint, Maxy, Koopa/Pher, myself, Arikado, Mikenyan, Way would be genuinely awe-inspiring - and that's not even counting the other high level English players that expressed interest like GP, Wildfyre and Zangrief (athough Zangrief is Irish so #represent and all that). This also isn't counting the constant Irish talent popping out of nowhere and we have plenty of tournaments between now and then to get better.
NO WAY..ZANGRIEF?!! i played that guy on for glory for like 2 hours,,pretty solid falcon

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Of course there would be a tournament on in Galway when I won't actually be there to go to it. :|

Is there ever, like, anything on around the Midlands, or is the only option to travel to Dublin or whatever?

TheMikenyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMikenyan
3DS FC
3239-3425-2702
Of course there would be a tournament on in Galway when I won't actually be there to go to it. :|

Is there ever, like, anything on around the Midlands, or is the only option to travel to Dublin or whatever?
The Dublin scene is what it is because of the efforts of the players. Basically we just talk to one another. It does help that Dublin is big and has lots of people in it. Best thing I can say is start asking around for people nearby.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
You're impressed by Zangrief but you don't even rate J Miller?

May I please have some of whatever it is you're smoking?
haha i was acc just amazed that i played him before,,,,my beefs with luigi not miller

Top Bottom