• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interview with ZeRo on Choikaigi and Japan

Vilorious

Smash Rookie
Last weekend, Dwango hosted a Smash 4 tournament at Niconico Chokaigi in which the top 2 teams from Apex 2015 were invited to compete. Chokaigi is a fan event run by the Japanese video hosting site, Nico Nico. The tournament featured international players Mew2King, Cyve, MJG, ZeRo and Japanese players Daiki, Fsaan, Luminas, and Shadow. GIMR, TheCrimsonBlur and D1 were also there to provide commentary on the English stream. I was able to talk to the winner of the tournament, ZeRo, about his experiences in Japan!

Vilorious: Was this your first time in Japan?

ZeRo: Yes it was! I've always wanted to visit Japan. It was my dream place to visit. I was SO excited to finally visit.

V: What did you do during your free time in Japan?

Z: I did a bit of everything! I tried to be balanced about it, though. Some sightseeing, some shopping, some beach time, some Smash and so on. I did everything I wanted! I even got all the No Game No Life novels. I was pretty happy about that.

V: How was your time at Chokaigi as a convention?

Z: Chokaigi was a super big convention on the anime/games side. So it was awesome. A ton of people, and new things to try. I was busy with the event, but whenever I could I would go around and enjoy the different culture and things to do.

V: How did you feel about the ruleset of doubles?

Z: I actually talked to the staff and higher ups in the gaming industry about the rules, and they wanted a ruleset that would promote the game to a new audience of people. I understood that, and went with it. After all, they were generous enough to fly all the international attendance, with free hotel, food, drinks and transportation. Everyone in the staff was so understanding and nice of us that complaining about such a thing would be ridiculous. But they did say they'd consider changing rules for the next time!

V: How was the Japanese tournament experience compared to America/other places?

Z: Japanese people, in general, are just SO respectful, cheerful and just nice. It's just such a nice and respectful environment. They make you feel at home. They really do! I feel like America is much more competitive in that regard, so in general the cultural differences do make an impact. But I personally love both places.

V: Is there a difference in play style in Japanese players compared to the Americans?

Z: Japan has a very optimized play style, where they try to do the best they can in every scenario. America is more about playing the player, if that makes sense.

V: How did you feel meeting Sakurai/Smash people?

Z: I've already met Sakurai before, at the E3 Invitational last year, but only for a brief moment. This time around I shook his hand, talked to him and took some pics! The experience as a whole was magical, and I'm planning on releasing an edited video with my experience as a whole, soon, on my YouTube channel.

To check out VODs of this event and see the placings, visit the results page here!

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Zero is looking like the Smash 4 Ken, I'm so glad for him ^_^

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Japan has a very optimized play style, where they try to do the best they can in every scenario. America is more about playing the player, if that makes sense.
I don't get it.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
That's good to hear he had a fun time. One day, I'll get to visit the Land of the Rising Sun.

I don't get it.
Instead of focusing on their opponent's mindset, they capitalized on their strengths and weaknesses of their characters to their optimal options.

Last edited:

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I don't get it.
Japan tries to be as perfect as possible. They play in a way that's optimal, they try to take the 'best' option in every situation.

USA/America tries to 'play' with the players mind. They'd do weird things or play to mess the other player up. Abuse their habits and patterns, like that.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
What was beach time like for ZeRo and the crew, did you all get into swimming trunks and strut about the beach, swim, have lunch there, and/or go surfing?
And what did ZeRo do besides Smash at Choikaigi? Did he get to go to any other events, and get to try stuff like this?
Oh, and have you been practicing your Japanese @ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo ?
Or did you get all the No Game No Life novels in English somehow/ or just wanted to have them in Japanese as collectibles and in case you ever learn to read Japanese.
Otherwise I'm interested to hear about the specifics of the meta difference, and also pretty excited to see all that footage of you harassing M2K! (That hopefully won't have been edited out too much.)
That seems awesome!!! Where can I watch the tournament?
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/profile/past_broadcasts

You should be able to find it pretty quickly from there.
Edit:
So, what was so different about the doubles ruleset? What was the problem?
They had items on, and it was timed score, two minutes, no stocks, with team attack off.

And the problem is that it's pretty different from the more competitive standard doubles ruleset(s), which are about 6-8 minutes, 2-3 stocks, items off, with team attack on.

Last edited:

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Can't wait for the next Nerf, still gonna main diddy no matter what

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It's cool to learn ZeRo is a NGNL fan. Can he understand all the Japanese if he reads the books?

Tokis

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashB_Tokis
3DS FC
1478-3110-1670
Diddy is still OP

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
ZeRo, I've been a big fan of you ever since the E3 Invitational. It's so cool to see how far you've gone since then. Keep it up! <3

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Just as Leffen is now my favorite melee player you have been my favorite man! The amount of determination and work you put in is unprecendented!:D

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm guessing this event was in Tokyo.

I don't like Tokyo. Not because it has everything and everything is held there but because it has EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING is held there. The general consensus is that people in Tokyo consider the rest of Japan as backwater, uncultured, unimportant, and pitifull.
It's way to crowded, everything is expensive, and there's no sense of community. It's nice for a short time but I end up getting overwhelmed if I'm there for too long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom