• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interview With Joey "Mr. Wizard" Cuellar on Evo 2015 and Smash

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The 5 min time limit being chosen arbitrarily is worrisome. You don't save time by shortening the max time limit if you end up making timeouts a more attractive and feasible route to victory. Doesn't seem like this was considered or that the 'time' element was fully understood before making this decision. Shorter time limits do not lead to shorter matches, if players choose to play passively/evasively to time-out (winning via time out for 5 minutes is much easier than for 6 minutes).

It's also very worrying that the answer to many important questions was "That would all take more research." The research should be done before the ruleset is made, or people who have done research already should be in charge of making the ruleset or at least be advisers. It seems like they chose a ruleset and will 'learn how the game works' afterward. Not knowing how Miis work, yet being in charge of so much, is worrisome.
The time limit was chosen in a manner literally the exact opposite of arbitrarily.

In other news, Nintendo's support is great for the community! I sure love having five stages available because of a C&D threat!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I have already come to terms with the 5 minutes, because eventually we have to remember there are 8 other ****ing games running this year and they really don't want overtime woes(especially since Melee has even gotten overtime complaints from past EVOs.)

Also, no mid-match coaching. that is possibly as poisonous here as tripping in Brawl.

Prez08

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure it's because even with the slider all the way down to 0, there's still a tiny chance for the song to play (for some reason...)
I was thinking you go to 'Games & more' --> Options -> Sound and turn Music down to 0. Seems a bit much tho

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
Why is music such a big problem? Couldn't they just ask what music has to be put in my music to never appear? If it's a lack of trust from players, they can just make it so music changes are banned

FuPoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SplashWoman
i think Miis should only be applicable if the participant also has the 3DS version of the game ready in hand before his match starts to do an quick transfer. thats sadly the only way to implement them into the game real quick or if the EVO staff loaded bland default Miis of all 3 types with 1111, 2222, 3333 movesets

its also extremely easy to tell when a Mii has equipment on with altered stats too

Random Panda

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-4472-5154
i think Miis should only be applicable if the participant also has the 3DS version of the game ready in hand before his match starts to do an quick transfer. thats sadly the only way to implement them into the game real quick or if the EVO staff loaded bland default Miis of all 3 types with 1111, 2222, 3333 movesets

its also extremely easy to tell when a Mii has equipment on with altered stats too
JC: I would have to do more research on Mii's. I dont know enough about that to make a informed decision. We don't allow anything being loaded to the console during tournament play, so if it can be accomplished beforehand, then it will probably be allowed.

Simply put, transfers will not be a thing at evo. as far as the movesets of the pre-done characters, mii or not, he said he was planning to go based off of this thread mainly (and maybe a different source he didn't list):
http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-initial-release.381395/

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Are wireless controllers illegal at EVO? I use Classic Controller so this is important for me to know before I decide to put down money to fly out to Vegas.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Very interesting. Capps always getting the best info.

Nintendo is not supporting EVO in the way everyone thinks.
Now that could have many meanings. What is the general opinion of people regarding Nintendo messing with things?

As far as I noticed, they supplied Apex with some 64 setups (Always welcome), an old splatoon trailer, I think some pot money too...

Still, nothing exactly worth what we lost.
PM, Smash 4 stages at Evo, apparently no help during the Apex Venue Crisis...

What is Nintendo doing?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I'm happy that Mr. Wizard realizes that top players have agendas to give them every possible advantage at the Evo tournament.

Like with CT Zero... He wants customs banned so he has a higher chance of winning it. Why else would he want to PM Mr. Wizard privately? Mr. Wizard is wise enough to see through that BS. Being in the community for so long he probably seen this numerous times.

I'm so looking forward to Evo!

Luno896

Smash Rookie
i cant believe nintendo can't have certain stages played because of licensing issues thats so ridiculous what an incredible game

Gligarman

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-2114-2708
What I'm still not understanding is that if music is the only thing keeping the Omega stages away then why don't they just turn all of the music off for the entire game in the options menu?

Top Bottom